• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injector issues?

So, I decided to start a new thread on this.  My truck has been running like crap since I installed my 100hp ddp injectors.  I know they set the pop pressure at 290, which is low.  But when it's idling, or driving under light throttle it almost sounds Iike it has a fuel knock.  Not sure what is going on, but is there any reason why I can't pull them and set pop pressure to 320? Not sure if this will help or not.  They are really smoky, which is the nature of them I guess, but it leaves a slight clearly visible haze even driving under lite throttle, so not sure if there are other underlying issues.  Truck does have a airdog 100 and a new vp.

They seem to be proud of their injectors, I'd just get a hold of them and see what they got to say. Tell them people like us with cheaper injectors have no issues, what should you do to have no issues. Maybe they will tell you what else you can do to make it right, maybe something is missing in your set up. 

• Owner

That is one reason I like DAP injectors I can specify what I want and them built to my specs. Only had 1 set with  issues that DAP gladly rebuilt them again and swapped to VCO from the SAC I had previously. Those were 7 x 0.0085 but popped at 305 bar. Those were just a touch smokey at the end of life which was about 80k miles.

My 7 x 0.010 I had built to my specs 320 bar and never once had any issues with starting, smoke or anything. Still going...

I called ddp and they said there has to be a different issue with the smoke and rough idle.  The truck idled about the same as it did with the 100hp dap injectors that were in it and they were matched.  DDP said look at the vp or electrical problems.

So I could just swap on some dap nozzles and rest pop pressure and be good?

Edited by Krlspokane12

Please remember that DDP historically runs 155* spray angle nozzles.  DDP injectors are historically Smokey and hot.

If it quacks like a duck....

Agree you should hotwire the pump, but my money is on the injectors themselves.   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That is one reason I like DAP injectors I can specify what I want and them built to my specs. Only had 1 set with  issues that DAP gladly rebuilt them again and swapped to VCO from the SAC I had previously. Those were 7 x 0.0085 but popped at 305 bar. Those were just a touch smokey at the end of life which was about 80k miles.

My 7 x 0.010 I had built to my specs 320 bar and never once had any issues with starting, smoke or anything. Still going...

Any particular reason you went from SAC to VCO?

Mark

On 3/7/2021 at 4:57 PM, Krlspokane12 said:

So, I decided to start a new thread on this.  My truck has been running like crap since I installed my 100hp ddp injectors.  I know they set the pop pressure at 290, which is low.  But when it's idling, or driving under light throttle it almost sounds Iike it has a fuel knock.  Not sure what is going on, but is there any reason why I can't pull them and set pop pressure to 320? Not sure if this will help or not.  They are really smoky, which is the nature of them I guess, but it leaves a slight clearly visible haze even driving under lite throttle, so not sure if there are other underlying issues.  Truck does have a airdog 100 and a new vp.

8 hours ago, Krlspokane12 said:

Hot wired the pump and nothing changed, so I'm at a loss... I don't wanna blame the injectors since it did the same with the DAPs that were in it. It's gotta be something with the pump but don't know what, there are no codes.

So the issue did or did not exist with the DAP's?

• Like 1