• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crank Position Sensor Acting Weird Now...

I got the issue with the torque converter acting up sorted out and now this...

The gremlins didn't stay away long.  I am now getting random drop outs of the tach and the CEL comes on and it has 0336 codes.  I just changed out the CKP sensor awhile back after it developed these same symptoms but now they are back.  Either the sensor I installed is a POS (I did get it from Autozone) or there is something else going on.

It took 3 cam sensors from AZ to finally get a good one in the wifes Dakota several years back. They would work a while then fail. Third one did the trick. Could be the same issue, maybe not. I despise electrical gremlins.

• Staff
1 hour ago, dripley said:

It took 3 cam sensors from AZ to finally get a good one in the wifes Dakota several years back. They would work a while then fail. Third one did the trick. Could be the same issue, maybe not. I despise electrical gremlins.

I was wondering..... What does an electrical Gremlin look like ?

• Owner

As many time I've replaced crank sensors on the early 2nd Gens with NAPA crank sensors I've always had then last a good long time. Being NAPA is the only part store near me. Everything else Autozone, O'Rilley's, etc. are all over 150 miles away. At least NAPA ships to my door for FREE every Tuesday.

Like my new pricing layout if I drive to get parts its $1.50 a mile. So McCall is 70 mile round trip roughly. That an extra $105 on someone bill. Or like my last trip to Lewiston for a fuel lines that could 250 mile round trip $375 on someones bill. Being where I live and the distances I've got to run I can no longer just suck it up being fuel is now nearly $4 a gallon here. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Thanks, I will try the NAPA one.  There is a NAPA nearby.

This is the one that I got.  It does have a lifetime warranty but judging by the reviews, I don't think I want to be replacing it every year...

If I don't replace it today and it goes out completely will the truck not run?  Reason I ask, I am supposed to go to the coast (about and hour drive) today to take care of some work there.  I drove it back and forth to work this week without issue so far.  Its just the tach cuts out sometimes,  I don't notice any difference in the way the truck runs.

Edited by hdpwipmonkey

When my last MAP sensor failed I replaced it with one from Fridayparts.com. 15 bucks. 7 months later it is still going strong. Who knows how long it will last. Never priced a crank sensor nor would I know if they are any good. What I did do is take the failed one back to Orielly's and get it replaced. It sits in my console just in case. 

Edited by dripley
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dripley said:

When my last MAP sensor failed I replaced it with one from Fridayparts.com. 15 bucks. 7 months later it is still going strong. Who knows how long it will last. Never priced a crank sensor nor would I know if they are any good. What I did do is take the failed one back to Orielly's and get it replaced. It sits in my console just in case. 

Thats a good Idea @dripley.  I will take the failed one back to AZ and get a replacement and just throw it in the glove box incase I need it.  Thanks.

Edited by hdpwipmonkey

Well, I can say for certainty when the sensor goes the truck stops running.  I had it idling out in front of my house today getting ready to go to NAPA to pick up the part and it just died. :cry: Thank goodness it didn't happen yesterday on my way to and from Tillamook. 

I was able to get it started but it took a little while.  I made it to NAPA and back without any other issues.  New sensor is in.  We'll see how long this one works... :whistle: