• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My almost new steering gear

Got a brand new Blue Top gear in a box and this was the weekend to put it in. Also havd a new track bar, pitman arm, and stud formthe drag link. A bit cold on Saturday do I didn't start until about 1. Got the track and every thing apart except for the fluid lines. 18mm and wouldn't youknow it Imdont posess one. So I just wrapped up for the day and figure to get said wrench in the morning. 

Head out Sunday morning not even thinking about it being easter Sunday and found most places closed the day. But did find HD open and bought their last 18mm wrench. Get back to the house and finish taking everything apart. Setthe old one out and grab the new one and set it under the truck. I get there with and thats when I notice I have the wrong gear. 

20210404_132942.jpg.fe9a5568828356c32eac398d2ded5a59.jpg

4 mounting holes and on the wrong side. Turns out I have one for an 80 to 93 Dodge. So now I am pissed. I go back and check all the paper work and sure enough it looks like I ordered the wrong pump.:doh::doh:  Should known since he had them in stock, never has before. I sent Ryan an email but have not heard back from him yet, it was Sunday afternoon so I didn't expect any answer.

So after all that I had to put the old back on. At least I am experienced now.

Edited by dripley

• Staff

At 69 I find myself doing a lot of little mistakes like that. The time to worry is when you can no longer remember to double check what you order or what you've done. I got to hand it to you Dripley though, practice makes perfect, being the best way of looking at it..... it's all part of doing the job. :thumb1:

And yes, be very glad you didn't bring it to the place I brought mine for a Red Head Geer..... I had to undo their work and redo it. Holbrook Specialties used to be really good but new owners are not the same.

• Like 1

Poop happens, I got to work on a 96 454 changing lower intake gaskets, it was kind of fun :lmao:. Truck always had a slight misfire and I'm now finding out that for a few years GM decided to do some sort of cam retard timing along with regular timing and all other fun things associated with 1345 code. Once i figure that out I get to figure out where oil is leaking from, oil pan or rear main, neither one  sounds like fun. @JAG1 :hijack:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Staff
7 hours ago, dripley said:

I ordered the wrong pump.

Is that akin to measure twice, cut once.   I hate when that happens.   The other day I was replacing the right front axle on a 06 Volvo; ordered the part from one of my suppliers.   Take the old axle out of the car and find in the correctly marked box an axle for as Honda.   I put the old axle back in so the customer could drive their car until I got the right axle.   Waste of time.   The more times you take something apart the greater the chance of something else braking. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Threadzy said:

Sorry to hear that. I hate running into problems working on anything especially when I end up being the problem. 

Oh yeah. Even on the of chance that I did order the right one, I had the documentation from Blue Top of what they were sending me. The only I was watching was the tracking. When will it get here. I sure wanted to get the swap done. It was even on the invoice in the box. Never looked at it. Damn.

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

At 69 I find myself doing a lot of little mistakes like that. The time to worry is when you can no longer remember to double check what you order or what you've done. I got to hand it to you Dripley though, practice makes perfect, being the best way of looking at it..... it's all part of doing the job. 

And yes, be very glad you didn't bring it to the place I brought mine for a Red Head Geer..... I had to undo their work and redo it. Holbrook Specialties used to be really good but new owners are not the same.

I am only 68 so I like to think I am so much smarter. Nice try on my part. Been while since my last bonehead move. Not the first time but hope its the last on a job such as this.

I do have shop here in town I get some things done at. Pretty good folks and have always treated me fair. Glad I did not have to pay them to pull off the old part just to have to reinstall the old one.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Poop happens, I got to work on a 96 454 changing lower intake gaskets, it was kind of fun :lmao:. Truck always had a slight misfire and I'm now finding out that for a few years GM decided to do some sort of cam retard timing along with regular timing and all other fun things associated with 1345 code. Once i figure that out I get to figure out where oil is leaking from, oil pan or rear main, neither one  sounds like fun. @JAG1 

Retard, retard, :ahhh: 

Good thing the beer cooler had an ample supply. I usually have a victory beer or 12 after an install such as this. This time I had the same for the reinstall of shame. It is all good though, not my first F up by any means.

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

Is that akin to measure twice, cut once.   I hate when that happens.   The other day I was replacing the right front axle on a 06 Volvo; ordered the part from one of my suppliers.   Take the old axle out of the car and find in the correctly marked box an axle for as Honda.   I put the old axle back in so the customer could drive their car until I got the right axle.   Waste of time.   The more times you take something apart the greater the chance of something else braking. 

At least my screw up was on my dime and time. Customers are a bit different to deal with.

Now on a brighter note. The new track bar made a world of difference. I can drive for a bit with my knee again. I knew the stud was starting to show some play. But when I took it off I was bit surprised at how bad the bushing was worn.  Very little play at the top of the wheel now. The old one is still fine other than leaking at the front seal but there is no more adjustment in it either so replacement seemed to be the best route. 

22 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Dieselfuture has to practice too because of Beer. :lol:

I can identify with this affliction as mentioned above.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Dieselfuture has to practice too because of Beer. :lol:

Especially when that's my pay at dads house, he says he'll help me every time, ends up sitting in a comfy chair drinking my pay and smoking cigars. I try to hurry up and get the job done so I can join him but always find something else needs to be fixed at his place.

• Like 2

• Owner

I'm in that boat but flipped... Being I'm the Step Dad in this process and trying to help @Jthor with his 7.3L Ford Powerstroke which needed serious TLC. Here soon this will be done. Scary part is I'm getting pretty good with even Ford Powerstroke Diesels now. Scary thought @Mopar1973Manis playing with Ford's now. What will happen next? :burnout2:

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Dad is Lucky Man to have a son like you 

He knows, although not my real dad, he's as close as one can get. He got 3 kids my age too, 2 daughters that seem to think too much of them selves and a son that's been working with him painting houses for a while now, I did that years ago when my mom first met him then I moved on, hes been wanting for his son to take over his little business so he can go fishing more often, just not sure when he'll be ready to put big boys pants on. He said you and him can split it, but I told him I didn't want to be in family business, seems it never ends well. We're better of this way, plus I got a decent job with benefits now for last 13 years, kinda hard to quit, part of the reason I'm still driving here every day 70ml one way after we moved. All wife's fault too and now I'm not even sure what to do with her :lmao:oh.. life.. so awesome....

• Like 2

My oldest is a step son. I have kown the boy since he was 2. His "real" father never wanted to be bothered with children. Had a talk with about his father once he was grown and if he was curious just to just ask and I would give what info I knew. He told me he had no desire to know and that was it. 

He is pretty smart, he lives in Texas now and all I can do is call him to see how he is doing. My youngest has not figured that yet. But he is a big help when I really need it. I am the lucky one.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so paranoid when ordering things online, I usually go back and forth checking all the info 7-8 times before I have to grapes to hit the "Place Order" button.  So far I have only messed up once when ordering headlights for my mother in laws jeep, I assumed she had HID's and ended up returning them on my dime.  I'm now having similar issues with a friend as we try to convert a 1982 Trans am from auto to manual using a 350 from a 1980 vette and a 5spd from a 1989 Trans am GTA.  Getting the right combo of clutch and flywheel is proving tricky.  

3 hours ago, Sycostang67 said:

I'm so paranoid when ordering things online, I usually go back and forth checking all the info 7-8 times before I have to grapes to hit the "Place Order" button.  So far I have only messed up once when ordering headlights for my mother in laws jeep, I assumed she had HID's and ended up returning them on my dime.  I'm now having similar issues with a friend as we try to convert a 1982 Trans am from auto to manual using a 350 from a 1980 vette and a 5spd from a 1989 Trans am GTA.  Getting the right combo of clutch and flywheel is proving tricky.  

Should be fun when you're done