• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mishimoto trans cooler

• Staff

ssion coolerThat's a lot of money for "supposedly  better cooling capabilities".   

When driving down the road The torque converter is locked up, generating little heat and good air flow over the cooler.  Most heat increase occurs when accelerating, backing up, or in stop and go traffic especially when towing. During these conditions there is little to no air flow over the transmission cooler so an increase in size and volume would provide a marginal decrease in transmission temperature as opposed to a cooler with a fan. 

https://www.mishimoto.com/heavy-duty-transmission-cooler-kit-electric-fan.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I kicked the idea of replacing my stock cooler with an aftermarket vs. leaving the stock cooler and adding a derale fan cooled, I went with the latter and got the derale 15960, with the fan on a toggle switch when I want it on,It really keeps the temps under control, the only issue is in the coldest of the winter time  I Cant get over a 100 degree on the trans fluid, unless I’m pulling something or driving all day. The fix for that would be to add a cross over in the line before the cooler and by pass it in the winter, other than that it’s perfect for summertime towing.

I never seen that mishimoto in my search, but have no regrets with the derale 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

I kicked the idea of replacing my stock cooler with an aftermarket vs. leaving the stock cooler and adding a derale fan cooled, I went with the latter and got the derale 15960, with the fan on a toggle switch when I want it on,It really keeps the temps under control, the only issue is in the coldest of the winter time  I Cant get over a 100 degree on the trans fluid, unless I’m pulling something or driving all day. The fix for that would be to add a cross over in the line before the cooler and by pass it in the winter, other than that it’s perfect for summertime towing.

I never seen that mishimoto in my search, but have no regrets with the derale 

Do you have pictures of where you mounted it? 

I can see benefits of their radiators, but not sure on coolers. My money would go towards a radiator if I ever need one, guessing plastic will eventually give out from age like they all do. Aluminum radiator with regular coolant changes should Las a lifetime.

6 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I can see benefits of their radiators, but not sure on coolers. My money would go towards a radiator if I ever need one, guessing plastic will eventually give out from age like they all do. Aluminum radiator with regular coolant changes should Las a lifetime.

I just replaced my radiator last Saturday. It   wasn’t leaking just buildup inside. It had 271,000 miles on it. Got a new one for $214 OTD. Lifetime warranty. Changed hoses and the thermostat too. CYA for summer towing. Transmission only gets up in temperature  in the summer in stop and go traffic and backing it in at home. 

• Staff

Two week ago I was towing my 5er with the boat behind, it about 16k LB.  Got caught in stop and go traffic for 3 hours north bound I-15 going up the Cajon pass.   Tranny temp, post converter, climbed to 250°F and stayed there.  Wish I had and extra trans cooler then.   

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

Two week ago I was towing my 5er with the boat behind, it about 16k LB.  Got caught in stop and go traffic for 3 hours north bound I-15 going up the Cajon pass.   Tranny temp, post converter, climbed to 250°F and stayed there.  Wish I had and extra trans cooler then.   

Exactly why I’d like to add an additional cooler. I’m not pulling as much weight as you are though... yet! 

• Owner
7 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Derale is another high quality manufacture of fluid coolers.  

https://derale.com/

If you get a cooler w/fan be sure to have a fan controller or thermostatic on/off switch. 

Or program your ISSPro for the optional relay to turn on and off the fan. Most forget ISSPro EV2 are USB programmable.

• Like 1