• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel in Oil

Got a 2001 dodge ram 2500 getting fuel in the oil. Have tried 2 different sets of injectors 7x.010 and 6x.013, put new seals on them both times i used them.(yes i did watch them with valve cover off and could not see anything leaking out the top) I have switched the front seal on the vp44 and its still getting fuel in there. Performed a leak down test at 75 psi and dont have a single cylinder over 20% leak down. Im stumped on what the problem could be at this point. Anyone have an advice on what to look for or try next?

well one set was brand new from dfi several months prior.. the other set had been pulled ran great stored with injector tip caps and in an extremely clean place. Part of me wants to think my vp44 seal is the issue and maybe no sealing perfect when i installed it..Would it be completely awful to pull the pump and push 16psi air through the fuel supply line and see if its coming out the front? or would that cause me bigger issues? Gonna hit a compression test while im here and just make sure all holes are good while im this far

Edited by Cae236

Mopar I never really asked tbh.. dfi is so highly rated I figured he knew what he was doing.. and my 7x.010s are dap that ran great for 20k miles or so until I pulled them for bigger.

Have you quantified the contamination, as in say change engine oil and filter run for a set amount of hours, earthmoving stuff is usually 100hrs but that only takes a couple of weeks usually and it depends on how much (if it's bucketing in don't bother)

If it is a low level of contamination you wouldn't see it if it was a crossover tube and might only be leaking when really hot or high injection pressure

For fuel to be washing down a bore and getting by rings you would know as it would run like a dog with misfires and smoke but you could always pull injectors and check with a bore scope, tops of pistons will be cleaner and just look different or bad cylinder shiney maybe wet carbon, good cylinders matt or dull carbon

As you've changed injectors and crossover tubes and if your happy they are not leaking  I'd be sending the VP off for a bench test

On 5/25/2021 at 11:23 PM, wil440 said:

Have you quantified the contamination, as in say change engine oil and filter run for a set amount of hours, earthmoving stuff is usually 100hrs but that only takes a couple of weeks usually and it depends on how much (if it's bucketing in don't bother)

If it is a low level of contamination you wouldn't see it if it was a crossover tube and might only be leaking when really hot or high injection pressure

For fuel to be washing down a bore and getting by rings you would know as it would run like a dog with misfires and smoke but you could always pull injectors and check with a bore scope, tops of pistons will be cleaner and just look different or bad cylinder shiney maybe wet carbon, good cylinders matt or dull carbon

As you've changed injectors and crossover tubes and if your happy they are not leaking  I'd be sending the VP off for a bench test

No I never ran the oil for long been worried.. I’ve changed the oil 3 times now.. this last change of oil def turned green but oil level didn’t seem to rise which I found weird but I have the ever so slight rear main leak that came when all this started happening.. 

• Owner

You could send a sample of oil to a lab and verify the if the oil is contaminated. 

Place fuel can come from...

• Injector o-rings and high return pressure on the VP44.
  • Bad injector(s) that is stuck open or cracked nozzle.
  • Cracked head (rare) but yes I've seen this where the return fuel was push up into the top of the head.
  • Worn rings . cylinder wall clearance (excessive blow by)

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You could send a sample of oil to a lab and verify the if the oil is contaminated. 

Place fuel can come from...

• Injector o-rings and high return pressure on the VP44.
  • Bad injector(s) that is stuck open or cracked nozzle.
  • Cracked head (rare) but yes I've seen this where the return fuel was push up into the top of the head.
  • Worn rings . cylinder wall clearance (excessive blow by)

A cracked head in that locaton wouldn’t show up on a leak down test either would it?