• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What does Cummins /Dodge recommend for anti gel in the new trucks ?

Turbo Terry

• Owner

Be careful alot of anti-gels are worse off than just the diesel fuel itself. Like Power adds a bit more HFRR score. Normal diesel fuel is 520 HFRR. But Bosch wants <460 HFRR.

Like myself I don't use any anti gel products at all. Higher cetane just reduces the MPG deeper. Never gelled the Beast in 19 winters and temps as low as -40F.

Why? When I last did my study in local fuels the could have already have 50 cetane adding more is just going to reduce power and MPG. Pour point is already good to -20 to -30F.

So why waste the money on a product that is not going to do any good for the fuel system taking away lubricity, then taking away BTU content, for fuel that is already treated and does require any help.

Oh yeah a bit of science for Power Service. If the product truly has lubricant in the product leave a small sample exposed to the air. It will dry out and be a gummy tar. There is no oil in the product. Any oil will remain after evaporating all the alcohols off for the cetane boosters.

Try it with 2 cycle oil. Never changes. Oil will remain oil even exposed to air but sure shows off the alcohol amounts used for cetane boosters.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

@Mopar1973Man, 5th gen section.

I think 2 stroke would cause big issues with the DPF.

Another thing is, if Power Service caused issues, its on Rams dime to get it fixed because its recommended in the owners manual. Or they will pass off the problem with a bad fuel diagnosis and put you (owner) on the hook. Happened to a bunch of guys who have the cp4. $15,000 later. 

@Turbo Terry, yours is a 2022 right? You should have the renamed cp3 and should have no glitter bomb issues.   

• Like 1

• Owner
On 9/14/2021 at 7:13 AM, Silverwolf2691 said:

Another thing is, if Power Service caused issues, its on Rams dime to get it fixed because its recommended in the owners manual.

Boy that crazy and it already been proven time and time again PS isn't a good additive. Then the other under handed is the there is part that are not part of thew warranty because of being a wearable item. I'll grab my buddy that has the list and I'll repost it here. Like him he was a Common Rail owner at one time and got rid of it. Too many things the dealer didn't cover. 

Even using Bosch own documents...

bosch-testing.jpg

You would way better off with Opti-Lube XPD... It scored a 317 HFRR way less wear! Compared to Power Service that score 575 HFRR very very damaging... What your CP3 will look like... This is Bosch own testing of fuel lubricity. 

bosch-testing-cr-fail.jpg

https://opti-lube.com/opti-lube-xpd-all-in-one-diesel-fuel-additive-1-gallon-without-accessories-treats-up-to-512-gallons/

image.png

Now 317 HFRR is going to be much better... So research your products just because Cummins or Dodge says it good you better still do you own study because Power Service has been poor rated for YEARS. Only gains +65 HFRR. Where OptiLube XPD will gain +319 HFRR. This has lubricant in the bottle for sure. 

bosch-testing-cr-pass.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Well the reason I bring this up is new 2022 ho is coming in a week or two ???  and I have to put something in it so it doesn’t gel up   So I ask you can the dealer tell you don’t have power service in your tank and 

void your warranty on say the fuel pump.  Really    They are already pumping winter fuel here.  Most likely 50/50 blend who knows  Every beginning of winter I see 4-5 pickups by the side of the road Cummins mostly.  Probably gelled up or maybe just broke down but pretty strange timing for sure

I did a quick look at my owners manual but couldn't find anything. It was a skim read however so I might have missed it.

Did a quick search over on hdrams.com. I think I misinterpreted what I read on there or things changes since I looked.

I have to with draw my previous statement of power service being recommended. Cummins is ok'ing its use but it's not required. Why especially when there are clearly better options I have no idea. most guys on there run Hot Shots Secret EDT or LX4, or some mix of both. I know the LX4 is newer as well. Don't know where they stand in the HFRR test either.    

I was just going to suggest Stanadyne, as they make injection pumps I would think they know what they are doing.

Once in a while I use cen-pe-co antigel, I also use their motor oil for last 4-5 years. They only 40 minutes from me and on the way to work kinda. 

Did some oil sampling through cat dealer and results were as good as amsoil I ran before if not better.

When looking at Wal-Mart 2-stroke to Amsoil cost comparison, the Amsoil was about the same cost "per serving" if you bought the big jug. I buy the 1/2 gallon jug, then divvy out into 5 ounce "servings" since most of my fillups are around 25 gallons.

In a 5th Gen clearly you won't be running 2-stroke, but my point is that Amsoil fuel treatment is not expensive per serving - they also say it's alcohol free, and the brochure indicates wear scar reductions of ~150 microns when mixed with fuels from varying U.S. regions.