• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Injector knock/ping, 3rd set!

Last time I looked at the data log portion in the quad (not exported) it showed 100% engine load. I'll have to re-check it for maybe a more recent one? 

Well mid way through typing that I went out and messed with the truck just now, turned on quad monitor and just mulling over things. Re-checked codes via key-switch..........guess what! 

Winner winner chicken dinner with the 0216 code of DEATH 

Now... I am no means saying this is the cure all or the main problem. I didn't get/see this till today. 

Would a bad pump make a KNOCK or make injectors PING-TING? 

FYI, I claim the term ping-ting as a proper term and verbage for this site. It's also fun to say! 

• Sad 1

Ooof, sorry for that news @Stanley.

Quad only retains the max value without the exported data log. So all it means is that in the last 4hrs of logging (i think) you hit max commanded fueling. 

And yes its possible that for the timing to cause the sounds.

Winner winner chicken dinner, huh? Bit of PUBG in the spare time?

4 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

Winner winner chicken dinner, huh? Bit of PUBG in the spare time?

No I was saying that before pubg came about lol...However I do play call of duty sometimes 😁

6 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

And yes its possible that for the timing to cause the sounds.

Your meaning stock timing on bad pump making knocks in the injector  correct? Not the timing from quad...

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

Winner winner chicken dinner with the 0216 code of DEATH

This doesn't explain ping following the injectors when you were troubleshooting and cracking lines to see when ping stopped and I believe you swapped the injectors and ping followed that injector also. 

But hey you maybe on to something

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

This doesn't explain ping following the injectors when you were troubleshooting and cracking lines to see when ping stopped and I believe you swapped the injectors and ping followed that injector also. 

Well if what @Mopar1973Man was saying about him having a knock and it being at full advance it could have been the pump going just not saying or showing anything. 

35 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Also really common for the timing piston to gall up and seize in place. If the is no p0251, p0252, p0253 or p0254 codes the solenoid wires are fine.

No, didnt have any of those codes on the key cycle*. 

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Yea it did follow on the first set. This seems just like a huge mess that may have finally just exploded to the root issue idk... I guess ill have to start fresh with new pump I understand SOVP is the way to go instead of HOVP that these 6 speeds had. I guess I might as well as, which pump is better than the other. @dieselautopower I obviously been looking through your pumps... 

Kinda curious who actually went with the 2 year warranty pump vs 1 year. Also I have read mixed opinions if you will that the stealth cover is OK to use on pump with out voiding warranty, I suspect this is false... @dieselautopower is there a pump you have that would be ok to tap out of the box? I guess running with no tap on the quad wouldnt be to bad with bigger injectors? 

Do the 2 year warranty pump.  It has a new PSG.

I recommend keeping the pump untapped.  If a pump is going to have problems it is typically going to be within the first 6 months.   SO pumps occasionally do not like to run on the HO engine without a code, but timing changes on the adrenaline can reduce that probability ( which is low anyways, but one should be aware that it can throw a code).

the tapped pump that retains a warranty is an option, but it is not different than the other pumps sold.  Basically paying for an extra warranty to cover a potential replacement.

Essentially the difference you will feel between the SO pumps (ETC) and HO pumps (ETH) is where the power band is.. HO trucks are lower in the rpm range vs an SO pump. Since you have only had the dragon flow, im gonna guess either pump is gonna feel lower powered than what you had. But for what you have, go with an SO pump, its better suited to the upgrades you already have. Core might be an issue though..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

Essentially the difference you will feel between the SO pumps (ETC) and HO pumps (ETH) is where the power band is.. HO trucks are lower in the rpm range vs an SO pump. Since you have only had the dragon flow, im gonna guess either pump is gonna feel lower powered than what you had. But for what you have, go with an SO pump, its better suited to the upgrades you already have. Core might be an issue though..

Well I dont want any codes lol But Id like more power on top for hwy rpms etc. 

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Galled or seized timing piston will not throw any other code but a P0216 code. Which yours did. I've seen pumps so seized up your had to heat the case of the pump with a propane torch to get the piston freed or to even slide out. 

I think I have to assume that this is what happened locking up. Code now plus hard starts and the knock - to which is safe to say was caused by pump? And I should ease my mind and not think the worst now? 

@dieselautopower here is some pics of pump when I previously took it off. Doesnt say 028DF  but who the heck knows... Would this be ok for a core? And keeping those 6x13's in there with that new SOVP should be doable for awhile aye? 

20210825_164607.jpg

20210825_164617.jpg

20210825_164700.jpg

20210825_164707.jpg

I have stock lines, idk if there any good, I assume that there the original ones from truck. Also have 1 new set of cummins oem tubes and 1 used, 1 set of used stock injectors (unknown status). I might have to take pics of lines and see what yall think. I read some where that you could run the bigger tubes just not the lines. I guess since I have oem ones I might as well use them. I think stock tubes and lines are good for quite a bit of HP before needed swap. Wonder who would want those lines and tubes? Might put them on here for sale.