• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Install Oil Pressure Gauge

2nd gen trucks have either a oil pressure sensor OR a oil pressure switch.  The sensor will display an actual PSI to the ecm, but the switch only tells the ecm if oil pressure falls below X psi.  

This difference is something to do with the late vs early trucks, but I dont remember the cutoff.   I am not sure if anyone has tried to install a early model sensor into a late model switch truck.

if your truck has a sensor rather than switch the quad will show actual oil pressure.

I ran a gauge strapped to the windshield wiper for 3 days and now the curiosity is fixed. lol  I just wanted to see a top and bottom number and was amazed really. Idle cold on a 50 degree morning is 75. Give it a little throttle and it will climb to 100. After it warms up good and 75 degrees it idles at 28 which will probably go down some in the summer, but at 60-65 it stays at 65psi. So thats all I needed to see. No manual gauge inside the cab on cold mornings. :lmao:

humm my memory must be fading over time,  that suggests then a difference in the reporting of the oil sensor data stream for early vs late trucks.  whatever it was it was an issue that could not be solved on the 1939 interface bus that the quad uses to read sensor data.

Update:

the memories came back.  the root code handles early vs late trucks differently for the oil pressure sensor.  late trucks it is disabled to the unpredictable ecm data that is received across the 1939 bus.  Some late model trucks reports a valid oil pressure psi while others do not.  the issue was that the late model trucks that don't send reliable data for oil pressure send false negative and false positive data which could lead to catastrophic engine failure if the driver choose to rely on the quadzilla for PSI without knowing that the data may or may not be valid.  

@TFaoro truck read valid oil psi, while @Mopar1973Man truck did not.  Both were late model trucks.   I asked a few late model guys to run a special version of the base code to see if there was a way to predict but as far as I could tell it was random as to what truck reported a valid oil pressure psi across teh 1939 interface bus.

The choice was made to disable the function for late model trucks to error on the side of caution rather than expecting all late model truck owners to figure it out themselves.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1