• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fel Pro head gasket gave up in 4k miles

• Staff
56 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Don't trust Cummins OE gasket I had one pop after 1,000 miles. Then finding out Cummins does NOT manufacture the head gasket a company named BLK does. 

I certainly don't want another Fel Pro head gasket, and you're saying don't trust a Cummins OE head gasket.

Mike, didn't you say something before about the Cummins gasket going due to the possibility of excessive timing?

What other choices are there for a great quality head gasket?

Edited by 01_Cummins_4x4

• Owner
1 hour ago, 01_Cummins_4x4 said:

I certainly don't want another Fel Pro head gasket, and you're saying don't trust a Cummins OE head gasket.

Mike, didn't you say something before about the Cummins gasket going due to the possibility of excessive timing?

What other choices are there for a great quality head gasket?

FitstvCummins yes was excessive timing, second one no. I changed my tune and limited boost to 35 PSI. The gasket material separated from the metal plate is several places in just a mere 1,000 miles. I will not touch Cummins OE gasket, again not manufacture by Cummins but a company called BLK. Mahle gaskets is another option. I would trust NAPA gasket more than Cummins brand name gasket which is most likely foreign made junk.

• Staff

Is there any chance that there could've been excessive drive pressure on the cylinder head that could lift it on the studs with a factory HX35 turbo that only reaches 33# max boost?

I had a Quadzilla Adrenaline on it at the time and running it on level 3 daily tune.

Just trying to figure out why it happened.

37 minutes ago, 01_Cummins_4x4 said:

Is there any chance that there could've been excessive drive pressure on the cylinder head that could lift it on the studs with a factory HX35 turbo that only reaches 33# max boost?

I had a Quadzilla Adrenaline on it at the time and running it on level 3 daily tune.

Just trying to figure out why it happened.

Highly doubtful.....

• Owner

Nope. I had to be over 55 PSI on boost, then my drive pressure was thru the roof which made the cylinder pressures high enough to blow my fuel system out (greater than 4,500 psi) which was enough to blow the gasket. I was also running high timing too. That gasket blew with ARP 425 studs torqued to 125 ft/lbs.

Second failed gasket was a defective gasket (Cummins OE) and it blew out sitting in the parking lot and started pissing coolant and not even running. Gasket material let go of the metal base in several place.

Now in all back together and torqued to 135 ft/lbs now. No issues towing all the way to Cally and back home to Idaho. That was with head winds and constant boost at 30 PSI and cruise set at either 55 or 60 MPH. 1,100°F EGTs for miles.

• Staff

Could this be the issue why my head gasket blew in 5 months?

With the stock HX35 turbo on a HO 5.9, Quadzilla Adrenaline and 100hp nozzles, the boost would rise much-much quicker than stock and I believe the combustion pressure was too great for the head gasket

Edited by 01_Cummins_4x4

Stock turbo wouldn't do it I don't think, more likely timing too high which does cause high combustion pressures only because the crank and rod angle isn't ideal when the gases are expanding VERY fast after the cylinder fires, that expansion does need to be able to push downwards on the piston, if the piston is only just past TDC because it fired too early forces are huge and it can lift heads, every cylinder that fires is basically a bomb trying to either lift the head off or drive the piston down

Think of it like pedaling a bike, if you try to push down hard with the pedal near 12 oclock all you do is stand up wait until it's at 2 to 3 oclock and it's easy, wait too long though and power is lost

• Owner

This can stem from low pop injectors too. As the injectors wear the pop pressure falls below 293 bar and timing will advance again. Just in the injectors I run I'm adding about 2 degree because I set for 320 bar which makes the injection event late. As the pop pressure falls the event becomes early, or advance the timing.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This can stem from low pop injectors too. As the injectors wear the pop pressure falls below 293 bar and timing will advance again. Just in the injectors I run I'm adding about 2 degree because I set for 320 bar which makes the injection event late. As the pop pressure falls the event becomes early, or advance the timing.

I'd not considered that but good point :thumb1:

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

I swapped out the crappy Fel Pro gasket that blew out between cylinder #1 and the front of the head.

I ordered and installed a brand new Cometic MLX multi layer stopper steel head gasket .067" thick # C5855-067

I ordered a 10 Oz bottle of ARP Ultra Torque head stud lubricant to ensure I had plenty of it.

20220717_123935.jpg

20220717_135724.jpg

20220717_140917.jpg

20220717_132223.jpg

• Like 2

• Staff

Think of the poor mechanics that have to replace it free under warranty, I wish these companies would learn to buck this trend of going 2nd rate and build a good reputation. No loyalty to the customers anymore, it's really sad.

• Like 1