• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla economy towing tune

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I've got a towing tune coming together. I build a base tune from my economy tune. Tweaked it for use on my Jayco RV which is 31 foot long and typically scales in at 8,000 to 8,500 pounds. 

As for today I was using my BigTex trailer and headed back down to Middleton, ID to put up my free bed. King size, dual zone adjustable. I had a 1/4 tank and left made to Council, ID and got 30 dollars of fuel (5.6 gallons) and continued to Middleton, ID loaded up the bed and headed out grab 20 dollars (3.8 gallons) of fuel and continued back to Payette, ID. Basically traveling 100 miles on about 5 gallon of fuel. Trailer was empty down (1,800 empty weight) and loaded no more than maybe 2,000 trailer and any other cargo in the truck (maybe an extra 100 pounds). When I was at Payette I got 100 dollars on my Maverik Nitro Card gives me 6 cents off a gallon so it was 20.004 gallons at $4.999 per gallon.

I changed up the timing and it builds boost quicker, holding on and grade it might bump the added fuel zone little bit but it falls back to my stock fuel zone pretty quick. EGTs are cool, even on a 7% grade no more than 900°F at 65 MPH. Tune is smoke free, launches good with a load, easy to build power. Even wide open I struggled to even get close to 1,200°F even on the grade passing. Just cruising on the Interstate at 80 MPH (2,450 RPM) I was just about 750°F.

This is just my first setup but I'm planning on heading to California with my RV so more tweaking will be performed. Just for the first run I'm very happy in the power even though I'm only using level 3 (CANBus fuel only).

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Will this tune be offered for sale soon? 

New member here in process of swapping my 50hp DAP's to 100hp and going from Edge EZ to the Quad ADR sitting here in my office. I want an economy tune (shooting for over 20mpg on my daily 50 mile highway speed commute) and don't need off the line power but what I call "slingshot power" for passing that slow farm truck that is doing 53mph in a 75mph zone. I'll also want to purchase a towing tune for towing my 8000lb 5th wheel here on the west coast where I can see elevations from sea level to Tahoe in 90 minutes of driving. 

100hp DAP injectors (8 x 0085)

Yay, someone else with those injectors! I bought mine months ago (or a year and months ago, can't remember) but still haven't installed them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LorenS said:

100hp DAP injectors (8 x 0085)

Yay, someone else with those injectors! I bought mine months ago (or a year and months ago, can't remember) but still haven't installed them.

I had purchased some used Bosch's for cores, then decided to buy the DAP nozzles as they seemed really cheap (odd hole count maybe?). I took all the components to the local fuel inj shop, had them go through the injectors, install the tips and pop them at 310. 

• Owner

Well the tune has a small problem with the fuel map. Did a modified version of my normal empty tune. I've see what I've got to change up and have a solution. What was happen start yo ramp up on the upper power band over accelerater and then sag back in the stock fuel zone. Never fear I've got an idea for solution.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 9:30 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Well the tune has a small problem with the fuel map. Did a modified version of my normal empty tune. I've see what I've got to change up and have a solution. What was happen start yo ramp up on the upper power band over accelerater and then sag back in the stock fuel zone. Never fear I've got an idea for solution.

Did you ever figure out a solution? I'm fixing to make a 15hr drive to North Dakota pulling a light empty trailer and am looking for a good tow tune.

• 4 months later...
  • Owner

I wish I had more trailer time to test. I've only done the trip to California but I had high wind the whole trip. Mostly about 8 to 9 MPG because of wind.

The only other time I've tow my trailer was up to Burgdorf, ID but never got a MPG. Also all up hill.

So there is no good data to say it actually economy tune.