• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I am looking at the Screaming Eagle 57/65/12 T3, I mostly pull 15k lbs loads. Not looking to hot rod just pulling and fuel mileage. I have DAP 50hp injectors. Anyone here have experience with this turbo? I recently pulled a load into a head wind and I still had plenty of HP just couldnt us it because egt's got to hot had to down shift to cool off. Thinking this turbo might cool it down a little better. Thanks

• Owner

For 50 HP injectors stock turbo should be fine. I'm running 150 HP injectors on my stock HX35W (54/60/12). Climbing 7,500 into Bridgeport, CA. No EGT issues at all. My biggest problem was transmission temp that was running high from head winds. Total weight was 17,500 pounds. Boost limited to 35 PSI. Again my final ratio is 3.69 running on 245/75 R16 tires. This is the huge part having proper final ratio. Might be pizza cutter but no EGT issues.20220505_140338.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

This is my first new turbo, do they turn blue on the exhaust side? I havent ran it loaded yet and its blue as heck.

On 5/29/2022 at 7:04 PM, Royal Squire said:

Photos?

I need to get my phone set up on here and I'll try soon.

3 hours ago, jlwelding said:

This is my first new turbo, do they turn blue on the exhaust side? I havent ran it loaded yet and its blue as heck.

I need to get my phone set up on here and I'll try soon.

Steel turns blue between 560F and 590F so bearing in mind what a EGT probe would show (anything from 240F idling to over 900F on my truck) blue is fine

Would end up maybe steel grey  which you wouldn't see anyway and once it's got some rust on it you can't see it

https://www.anvilfire.com/21st-century-blacksmithing/temper-colors/      probably not quite the same steel as the chart  but close enough to get the idea of it all

I use charts like these quite a bit when hardening pins and bushes I make

Edited by wil440

• Owner

Hey I just seen a Ford V10 engine turn cast manifolds glowing red hot just barely getting to 55 MPH in a class A Bounder motorhome. Those manifold were blue before we even started. You could see it in normal daylight.

It would not surprise me on a turbo being that is the narrowest flow spot and will convert heat energy to motion of spinning the turbo, it should turn that cast iron blue rapidly. Just figure 1,250°F will for sure get the color going.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Being a welder for 25 years I knew it was going to change colors lol. But I should have said also I was breaking it in. For the first 10 miles I really only got it up to 600 degrees that being at the head I didnt think it would transfer a constant temp that far down the pipe. But enough of that lets get to what we really like hearing. It spools good and it keeps it a lot cooler under a load, although Ive only hauled 7500 lbs load 10 miles from here on mostly flat ground I like it. When you ease into it the temp stops climbing at 900 and you can hear it working and it just maintains. I will get back to you when I get another 15000 or better on it.
One thing that did freak me out at first was I pressured up system checking for leaks after new boost boot install and the elbow on the turbo had bubbles flying everywhere. I thought maybe the hose was cracked but I trimmed it back and soaped it up and again samething bubbles everywhere. I called Mitchell at DAP and he said that was what its designed to do. He also told me I could just get a regular elbow and put on there. Well I have parts from everything laying around and asked if I could use an old elbow from a Edge EZ and he said that was fine too, so I may try it and see what happens.