• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

thermostat help !!!

52 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Most likely picking up hot return fuel from the sender?

I would assume so, as we've discussed before.  At the time I took out the 200F thermostat I figured going back to the 190F thermostat could only help lower the cylinder head temperature, and thus the return fuel as well.  It sure wouldn't raise the temp, so I swapped to my 190F Super Stat that I love so much - just smooooth temp changes, up and down several degrees showing on my Adrenaline screen as I traverse the countryside.

• Like 1

@wil440if I recall your return goes back to the sender, correct? Besides the very obvious, one difference between your lift pump and mine is that my relief valve dumps the extra fuel directly back into the suction side of the pump, not back to the tank. So, it basically gets churned and hot like the water from a water-brake dynamometer, unlocked torque converter, etc., until it gets its turn to go down the line and either get burned or sent through the head to presumably pick up even more heat.

I do wonder I shimmed the internal relief to a higher pressure and then installed a downstream external regulator back to the tank what the change in fuel temp would be since it would not get churned over and over.

9 hours ago, LorenS said:

@wil440if I recall your return goes back to the sender, correct? Besides the very obvious, one difference between your lift pump and mine is that my relief valve dumps the extra fuel directly back into the suction side of the pump, not back to the tank. So, it basically gets churned and hot like the water from a water-brake dynamometer, unlocked torque converter, etc., until it gets its turn to go down the line and either get burned or sent through the head to presumably pick up even more heat.

I do wonder I shimmed the internal relief to a higher pressure and then installed a downstream external regulator back to the tank what the change in fuel temp would be since it would not get churned over and over.

Yes my return goes back to the sender.  I have a return to the neck all made up but no need to fit it.

I also don't get hung up on pressure,  6psi at idle but 20psi at anything over 2k, at idle even at 6psi the return line on my truck is sending a lot of fuel back to tank 

You could do as you suggest but might be too much for your pump in the long term 

• Owner
1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

Maybe run the excess through a small filter?

No not on a return line from the regulator being if the filter plugs up then the pressure will rise. This is why a AirDog is the blow off of the regulator heading to the tank. The best part the filter is a AHEAD of the regulator and all fuel is filtered before returning. 

• Like 1

• Owner
22 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

Gotcha @Mopar1973Man, makes perfect sense. 

Gotcha covered...:cheers:

Yes I've torn apart a few AirDog's and Raptor's and even Carter stock lift pumps to see how they work. The Raptors are hung up on the returning to the inlet of the pump so the fuel starts to cavitation and then sends the bubbles through the pump so that why the pressure stability issues with non-returning pumps. The Raptors also have issues with the adjustable regulators the springs tend to hang up and stick which doesn't help either.   

• Owner

This was the big problem with the Raptors people learn later on about what they missed with buying a Raptor. Now they try to reinvent the pump and get a return line and external regulator. The only thing you'll miss is the air separation which is a straw that goes to the bottom of the filter so the air floats to the top and sent out on the return line. Now doing custom installs like the last one I did I love when I ditch the instructions and do it my own way it turns out much better. That white Dodge the owner was super impressed with the setup and how the lines all go inside the frame and protected from debris strikes. Yeah I'm going to build a filter cover when the truck comes back after my road trip to Pigeon Forge, TN.

• Owner

Look at it this way I bought 3 stock fuel pumps for 250 a piece in 9 months (Carter campaign lift pumps from Cummins). I next bought the AirDog in 2006 for 600 dollars and never spent another penny. OE pump lasted 250k miles. Replace with a bad 3rd Gen AirDog and seals failed about 3k miles. AirDog upgraded me to the 4th Gen 165 GPH pump. No problems since. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Doesn't matter. It's a restricted flow if you pull the banjo out and look at the port in the VP44 it small. No 150 GPH your only using 2.5 GPH at 55 MPH at 20 MPG in the VP44 injected. So the other 147.5 GPH is routed from the outlet of the Raptor back to the inlet, churning the fuel and creating cavitation. This is roughly speaking not counting limited VP44 return.

16609273274183983991821287757519.jpg

Return hole size.

16609274833438775492228214047339.jpg

Inlet size16609275384183067140865357319900.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1