• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fass 150 question I shouldn't be asking.

Just did the CAT filter replacement on my fass titanium pump.... called fass tech to double check which filter goes where since I couldn't find the factory instalation directions (had crappy service so couldn't look up online). They told me that the fuel filter goes on the side with two lines and the h20 separator goes on the single line side. 

Well guess what, that's backwards. I got home and found my paper printed directions. I only drove like 10 miles with the filters backwards.... did I cause any damage? 

Furthermore, why in the literal hell would anyone at fass tell me incorrect information? 

No it won't have done any damage just as long as you fuel system isn't full of garbage and water,  and for the record water/fuel seperator is always first as thats just a casing, some do have a very open mesh where the water can sink to the bottom with ideally a water drain at the bottom, so remove the water and big crud first as you do not want that in your very fine (micron) paper filter

As for why the poor info, most people that sell stuff or put stuff together to sell have NO IDEA why, what for, and what purpose

• Staff
1 hour ago, wil440 said:

As for why the poor info, most people that sell stuff or put stuff together to sell have NO IDEA why, what for, and what purpose

Best not to trust anyone too much, try to figure things out on your own because we have that stupid 'quiet quitting' bull chit going on everywhere like a passive aggressive mental case. I am very disappointed about the way these pernicious ways are taking over this country.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Tractorman said:

I had to look up the meaning of "quiet quitting" as I had never heard the term before.  I thought it was the event that happens when I start the engine in my truck.

- John

Yep, I really shouldn't post such things on a forum with all the nut and bolts Cummins brains on here! Where else can I go that I would find such great thinkers of our time? Certainly not the College forums... heaven forbid!

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Didn't they change the way the filters go on with their new filters that they have now?  I vaguely remember something about that... :think:

I knew I saw it somewhere... from the FASS website for their "Extreme Water Separator" 

When replacing the discontinued filters with the new XWS-3002 and PF-3001, the XWS-3002 will now be placed on the pressure side of the pump and the PF-3001 will be placed on the suction side. PLEASE SEE THE LOCATION DIAGRAM ON THE NEW FILTERS FOR PROPER FILTER PLACEMENT!

https://fassride.com/shop/product/shop-category/2018-2021-3-0l-powerstroke/xws-3002-extreme-water-separator/

1 hour ago, LorenS said:

The PF-001 has a 144 micron rating. Likely just a screen if it's like the Donaldson I run. The "water separator" is rated rated at 2 microns. May have some cellulose in the filter, which absorbs the water.

Typically the Cat water separator is just a long screen filter with either a removable bolw underneath or a drain plug,   on the suction side. The long casing or the upside down funnel shape allows water to drop to the bottom. The fuel filter is either paper or a synthetic equivalent on the pressure side.

A 2 micron water separator wouldn't last long if the fuel system had water in as if there is water there is always slimey crud and that would block a 2 micron filter in minutes 

Edited by wil440

6 hours ago, wil440 said:

A 2 micron water separator wouldn't last long if the fuel system had water in as if there is water there is always slimey crud and that would block a 2 micron filter in minutes 

I would certainly place my bet on your logic. In this case I'm just the messenger!

Screenshot_20220906-223633~2.png

5 hours ago, LorenS said:

I would certainly place my bet on your logic. In this case I'm just the messenger!

Screenshot_20220906-223633~2.png

I wouldn't touch that water seperator with a pole, a filter should not "trap" water, it seperates out at the bottom and then you drain it off

Guess they did the above to sell more silly unrequired filters

In a normal water seperator with good clean fuel drain intervals are few and far between, if there is water present draining the seperator over a period of time will remove it for FREE without having to buy filters and the bowl is usually see through so you know how bad the fuel is and when it needs draining or there is a sensor for the people that just get in and go

• Staff
3 hours ago, wil440 said:

I wouldn't touch that water seperator with a pole, a filter should not "trap" water, it seperates out at the bottom and then you drain it off

Guess they did the above to sell more silly unrequired filters

In a normal water seperator with good clean fuel drain intervals are few and far between, if there is water present draining the seperator over a period of time will remove it for FREE without having to buy filters and the bowl is usually see through so you know how bad the fuel is and when it needs draining or there is a sensor for the people that just get in and go

X2 here. Mine seperates it to the bottom as it should, has a drain. Only thing is, you have to add a skid plate to protect the drain and clear plastic bowl. Two or three times I have had to drain mine in 500 k miles. That's on 3 different Ram/ Cummins trucks. Water seperator type filter should be before the lift pump, designed for the suction side whatever that means, so the lift pump does not emulsify the water into the fuel like and egg beater. Plus traps sediment to protect the lift pump. My pre filters to both trucks I have are 30 micron and the secondary filters are the factory filters either Wix, Baldwin or Mopar filters with a tight Micron. don't know what level micron. My set up is used on many Diesels and has proven itself over many years. Other guys don't like the vulnerable drain and just use a canister type pre filter and the secondary filter after the lift pump.

Edited by JAG1