• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Question about BHAF?

I could tell a very slight difference with the BHF from stock but I mostly love the looks. I do believe 98.5-2000 all have hy35 and auto 01-02 have hy's but 01-02 w/ manual tranny have the hx35. I may have my years messed up with the 2000's...i am just trying to remember what I read.

my 99 has a HX35 and it is stock

Is yours an automatic or manual? I thought the automatics had the hy's and the manuals had the hx35...I am not 100% sure though.

Your right. His is a manual. The late 00' to 02' auto's had the HY. So a 98.5-early 00' auto would have the HX.

I have a BHAF on order. Fram CA6818 supposedly made for Fram by Donaldson... best deal I could get. I'll have to figure out how to keep the stock airbox scews from wrecking the new filter. I've been unhappy with the OEM airbox since my truck came back from the dealer with a cracked (filtered air) cover which they denied. I superglued it but have never been confident with it since. I'd had enough of that place, since they'd already failed to latch my hood right & it blew up about a mile up the highway (talk about exciting!) They replaced the hinges, I made the fish my SS steel wool out of the trash (stuffed behind the hinges to keep mice out of the cowel vents). They dented the fender as the pressure point when their guy forced the higes back enough to drive back there. Place is no longer a dealership... Once the BHAF gets here I'll be looking to put some support on the fender. Russ

If you're like me and have a 2000 auto and don't know which turbo you have, here are a few pics of the HY vs. HX

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So I am right... :smart: THE "HX 35 TURBOS DONT HAVE THE ELBO BOLTED ON THE REAR OF EXHAUST HOUSING" the downpipe connects directly to thr turbine housing with a V-Clamp...been some confusion over on the thread JOHNFAK has in the Powertrain related side

DID THE EARLIER AUTO TRANS WITH HX35 HAVE THE ELBO LIKE THE HY35?????:shrug:

So I am right... :smart: THE "HX 35 TURBOS DONT HAVE THE ELBO BOLTED ON THE REAR OF EXHAUST HOUSING" the downpipe connects directly to thr turbine housing with a V-Clamp...been some confusion over on the thread JOHNFAK has in the Powertrain related side

I guess I'm confused again because I thought the HX35 was the turbo with the flexible waste gate control pipe but what you're saying is the one that needs the J-hook is the HX turbo.

my hx35 looks just like the one on the right with the elbow bolted on.:shrug:

Hmm - I don't think so - I think the HY in this case is just missing the elbow ....... so the elbow would come off the HX and port directly onto the HX. (and vice versa).

I need to get jim here to confirm.

• Owner
post-2-138698173522_thumb.jpg As for the exhaust style just swap on what you need to make it work either the elbow or the stub. As for the early 24V there where all HX35 turbo till later like 2000 or 2001 they did the HY35... But in any case everything else wil bolt up to it... Just the exhaust tip that got to be swap to fit the pipe style you got... That's all...

As for the exhaust style just swap on what you need to make it work either the elbow or the stub.

Yeah but thats the part thats confusing me/richie. I think the elbow from my HY35 is the same as that elbow on the HX. So when you go from a HY35-> Hx35 ..... you should be able to use the exiting 5 bolt elbow from the HY35. Emailed jim (sasqauch) to confirm ......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2233[/ATTACH] As for the exhaust style just swap on what you need to make it work either the elbow or the stub. As for the early 24V there where all HX35 turbo till later like 2000 or 2001 they did the HY35... But in any case everything else wil bolt up to it... Just the exhaust tip that got to be swap to fit the pipe style you got... That's all...

sure looks like you could put which ever one you wanted on either one. as long as the bolt patterns match.

Well that's weird. Here is the back of my HX35. Same as the back of the HY. IIRC, mine had that elbow thing as an attachment.

O.K...Here is what im talking about..It has been my understanding that all HX35's are just exactly like in ISX's Photo..see the stub sticking out with the groove ...thats wher your downpipe butts up against and sealed with the V-Clamp...

Richie

--- Update to the previous post...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2233[/ATTACH]

As for the exhaust style just swap on what you need to make it work either the elbow or the stub.

As for the early 24V there where all HX35 turbo till later like 2000 or 2001 they did the HY35... But in any case everything else wil bolt up to it... Just the exhaust tip that got to be swap to fit the pipe style you got... That's all...

edcasey..is it possiable that the 2-in the photos have after the exhaust flanges have been swapped????

Richie

I just wanted to comment on one of the earlier posts in here about EGT changes from having a BHAF vs. stock air box.

The stock air box does not have a higher CFM than certain BHAFs They ones from napa range from 445 - to around 785 CFM, (not perfect numbers)

If you use the stock intake tubing the filter will sit close to the turbo and needs a heat sheild or custom enclosure to lower the temperature of the air going into the intake from the temperature under the hood.

I have heard of lowers of up to 150* EGTs when drilling a 3 - 3 1/2" hole in the firewall and running silicone tubing or pipe into the firewall hole, and cutting the same hole in the bottom of your stock, custom or aftermarket air box (as long as it's sealed) this will provide ACTUAL ram air induction and will cool your EGTs. Cummins recommends 50-80* for temperatures of air entering intake. Some people running BHAFs without heat shields run the risk of taking in hotter air than recommended.

The insulation in front of the firewall moves aside to drill your hole, and can be moved back to cover the hole from sight, if need be.

The turbo will however be louder inside the cab, only downside in my opinion.

I want to build my own heatbox and ram induction for a Napa 2790 BHAF or should I go with the Napa 6637?

What do you guys think about filter choice and what would you make the shielding with?

I have a parallel thread on the BHAF I'm planning. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/3186-Plumbing-the-BHAF?p=25179#post25179 It seemed like your thread was going somewhere else & I didn't want to hijack it. Besides the links on my thread, I've seen lots of nice sealed airboxes. Some metal others plexi. I don't seem to have the links saved. As I see it, the problem is a filter needs to be enclosed & sealed to the outside and that is hard to do with a filter as big as BHAF. I saw one "soup kettle" intake picts on a 3rd Gen. I even thought of doing so myself. But I decided NOT to seal my intake to the outside/ducts/etc. Best Wishes, Russ