• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Cleanup

Pressure washers work well, just don't spray the electronics. I have heard of people spraying everything down with Simple Green and letting it soak for five to ten minutes before power washing.

• Like 1

Pressure washers work well, just don't spray the electronics. I have heard of people spraying everything down with Simple Green and letting it soak for five to ten minutes before power washing.

I second that. I could use all the degreaser I wanted on mine but eventually got mad and pulled out the pressure washer. Just remember that it WILL splatter the crap you are cleaning off to your windshield or other unwanted places if you aren't careful.

okbut what exactly are you guys cleaning with the power washer ?? Thats a fair degree of pressure -> I'd be worried about ripping something off .......Be good for those hard to reach spots ......... just gotta find somewhere to do it since I can't at the RV park ...... hmmmmYeah I use an orange/citrus cleaner on my HUBS - works as good as the $8 stuff for $2 :)

ok

but what exactly are you guys cleaning with the power washer ??

Thats a fair degree of pressure -> I'd be worried about ripping something off .......

Be good for those hard to reach spots ......... just gotta find somewhere to do it since I can't at the RV park ...... hmmmm

Yeah I use an orange/citrus cleaner on my HUBS - works as good as the $8 stuff for $2 :)

When I hit 165K miles I decided to clean mine and went at it with Simple Green and a pressure washer. Ever since then I've had a nice, slow transmission line leak at one of the connectors. I'm at 200K miles now and hoping this thing will dirty up soon and quit leaking. I'm tired of checking the fluid all the time.My advice would be to not mess with it. I have had mechanics tell me I was stupid for doing mine because of what happened. Apparently discovering new leaks is very common when someone power cleans a high mileage engine compartment.

i would agree to an extenet but how else do you find the leaks? just my :2cents: worth Mine for instant has a engine oil leak from somewhere that blows back all over the tranny and tcase. I think its coming from either the front crank seal or the vaccum pump/ps pump.:banghead: but mine is very dirty and tough to see exactly where it is coming from so a clean engine would be very helpful right this second.

i would agree to an extenet but how else do you find the leaks? just my :2cents: worth Mine for instant has a engine oil leak from somewhere that blows back all over the tranny and tcase. I think its coming from either the front crank seal or the vaccum pump/ps pump.:banghead: but mine is very dirty and tough to see exactly where it is coming from so a clean engine would be very helpful right this second.

• 1 month later...

I don't believe in dirty engines or engine compartments. No I don't directly blast at full pressure, but I do get them clean. Now days most electronics are sealed very well.I have two gassers an 88 Bronco II and an 06 PT Cruiser Rag Top (Wife thinks it is hers) also a turbo!:pant:I wash down all engine compartments spring and Fall, Simple Green (they now have a de-greaser formula). I hate working on a dirty engine.My Cummins is still getting to basic clean, local wand wash as the buildup is from 239,000 miles. Top was kept pretty clean, bottom just had a nice oil dust dirt coating. If I clean it and it leaks it needed fixing anyway.Looks like I have about one more trip for what I missed the 1st two times. Just a little buildup around the oil pan.

When I hit 165K miles I decided to clean mine and went at it with Simple Green and a pressure washer. Ever since then I've had a nice, slow transmission line leak at one of the connectors. I'm at 200K miles now and hoping this thing will dirty up soon and quit leaking. I'm tired of checking the fluid all the time.

My advice would be to not mess with it. I have had mechanics tell me I was stupid for doing mine because of what happened. Apparently discovering new leaks is very common when someone power cleans a high mileage engine compartment.

If you would quit adding fluid eventually it will stop leaking:lmao:Second thought:badidea:

--- Update to the previous post...

Vac pump seal kit is only $12 and an hour of time:2cents:

I have had good luck with Gunk FEB1/6 Foamy Engine Brite Engine Degreaser and the power washer. I try to keep the tip of the washer a few feet from seals, electrical connectors and decals. The problem with concentrated citrus based products is they have a high citric acid content and as such are hard on finishes, connectors and aluminum. Yes they do a great job at removing grease just be-careful if using it in the concentrated form.

my miracle cleaner:

Posted Image

Let me find a before/after pic of my old civic's engine bay, after using this stuff..

edit:

Here's a semi-before pic. It was actually a LOT dirtier than this. This is after Simple Green..

Posted Image

And here's after KrudKutter (air intake back on, as well)

Posted Image

• Like 1