• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Winter Fronts - Best way to keep you Cummins Warm!

Since the temp sensor is behind the grill & in front of the radiator... if air is moving through the radiator, it stands to reason that the downstream air will be warmer than the upstream. Now, I hear you that you do not have a fan installed & you were stopped, idling, so heat might spread more evenly.I'm interesting in the temperature of the airstream supplied to the air cleaner & thus to the engine. There is a big grey area between the low temps where the grid heater runs & ideal intake temperature. Does anyone know the IAT temperaure that the computer shuts off the rich burn?Russ

Edited by flagmanruss

just made my fronts tonight after work.Its been single digit cold and and truck has been slow to heat up fuel mileage has dropped almost 2 miles per gallon. i was able to get some aluminum printing plate from work for free .015 high quality aluminum spend about 20 dollars for stainless hardware to mount will find out tomorrow how it works really enjoy the info i get off this site thanks.

• Like 1

• Owner

I cut my winter fronts out of an old Simpson helmet box last weekend and they do work. I wish that I would have done it last winter too.

Could of use some plywood, plastic or aluminum to make them... Cardboard will eventually fall apart... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/winter-fronts/winter-front.htm

I've not tried this on cold fronts but cardboard I needed to keep intact... I used some spray coating on. Artists fixer. Spray laquer. Even spray paint. (NOT while installed in the grill, of course). I just happened to have some plastic materials left over from another project... originally bought at "Modern Plastics". If I was going to buy for this I'd have used a thicker material as what I have will sometimes buckle. As I recall a single sheet of plastic material was not all that much.Once you have used them, you'll wonder why you did not do it sooner. Russ

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

This is an older thread, but it popped up in the similar thread links at the bottom of the page so I opened it up..

My winter front is one of my favorite mods. I went with the OEM Mopar one, and it installs clean, and makes a HUGE difference. Without it my thermostat can take up to 12 miles to open on my daily commute, with 1 of the 4 sections open the thermostat will be open by at least 6 miles, and heat happens at about 1-1.5 miles.

I have also notieced the block heater is about 50% more efficient with the winter front as the heat cant escape thru the open grill, which in turn means less electricity needed, and a warmer engine.

Its been too long since I used it last winter but I want to say that my IAT's are about 3x warmer than without (normal is 6-12* above ambient, so 18-36* above ambient).

I do remove mine on long highway trips as the IAT's can easily go to 100* in 10* weather with all 4 flaps open, and I think the block grill increases the wind resistance at 75 mph. I also won't tow with one installed unless its below 0* out, and a light trailer. I did minor towing one day at 25* out and the IAT's and Coolant were much hotter than needed.

I have run mine empty on up to 60* days with all the flaps open without a coolant or IAT issue, so its nice to not have to remove it when a few warm days hit.

The only drawback to the winter front is it takes the EGT's a long time to drop as there is little to no airflow over the turbo/manifold at a stop.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is an older thread, but it popped up in the similar thread links at the bottom of the page so I opened it up..

My winter front is one of my favorite mods. I went with the OEM Mopar one, and it installs clean, and makes a HUGE difference. Without it my thermostat can take up to 12 miles to open on my daily commute, with 1 of the 4 sections open the thermostat will be open by at least 6 miles, and heat happens at about 1-1.5 miles.

I have also notieced the block heater is about 50% more efficient with the winter front as the heat cant escape thru the open grill, which in turn means less electricity needed, and a warmer engine.

Its been too long since I used it last winter but I want to say that my IAT's are about 3x warmer than without (normal is 6-12* above ambient, so 18-36* above ambient).

I do remove mine on long highway trips as the IAT's can easily go to 100* in 10* weather with all 4 flaps open, and I think the block grill increases the wind resistance at 75 mph. I also won't tow with one installed unless its below 0* out, and a light trailer. I did minor towing one day at 25* out and the IAT's and Coolant were much hotter than needed.

I have run mine empty on up to 60* days with all the flaps open without a coolant or IAT issue, so its nice to not have to remove it when a few warm days hit.

The only drawback to the winter front is it takes the EGT's a long time to drop as there is little to no airflow over the turbo/manifold at a stop.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jeez that truck is clean!!! You oughta make a thread with more big pictures of it as well as pictures of your mods and maybe a small tidbit about all of them. I guarantee if you keep this truck it might last forever. :thumb1: But yeah if they make a winter front like that for a second gen i would love to know about it.

man i'm getting cold just reading this. here on the beach it's 98 with a heat index well over 105 :cool:. i lived in colorado for about 8 months and could not handle the cold and never heard of a wind chill factor had to move back home. beautiful landscape up in the mountain though. :thumb1:

• Staff

I love your OEM cold weather front! Will this work on 98.5 - 02 trucks? Can you post a link to where they can be purchased? If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost? Looks real nice! :thumbup2:

I got mine at the local dealership for about $100. I have not seen one listed for the 2nd gens before, thou I haven't really looked. I beleive Dodge calls it the Cold Weather Cover.

Jeez that truck is clean!!! You oughta make a thread with more big pictures of it as well as pictures of your mods and maybe a small tidbit about all of them. I guarantee if you keep this truck it might last forever. :thumb1: But yeah if they make a winter front like that for a second gen i would love to know about it.

The link in my sig should have most of that.

• Like 1