• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

axles and transfer cases

does any one know of a way to identify which transfer case and front and rear axles i have ?....i did not buy this truck new and all the tags are missing i tried the white sticker under the hood but yeup its gone too ...actually the sticker is there but the writing has been rubbed off...getting ready to sell/ trade it maybe ..had a few offers on it ....i would rather keep it and do more work for a few more years i will still need to know the info for service and maintance

great awesome ....thank you very much and after some debate i decided to keep the old beast for a while longer ....i dont suppose you know a way to find out which gearing the rear has do you 98?....i had some friends that i was able to stay pretty close to on the highway ..at excessive speed say they believe it has airplane gears what ever that means

you can also jack up the rearend of the truck and mark the driveline and tire and rotate the tire one full revolution and watch the driveline. If the driveline turns 3 turns and the tire will turn about a half turn then you should 3.55 then if the driveline turns 4 turns to one its a 4.10. I believe thats the way to check or your axle should have any ID tag on it that has the ratio stamped in it!!! Dont quote me on this but i think this right.

you can also jack up the rearend of the truck and mark the driveline and tire and rotate the tire one full revolution and watch the driveline. If the driveline turns 3 turns and the tire will turn about a half turn then you should 3.55 then if the driveline turns 4 turns to one its a 4.10. I believe thats the way to check or your axle should have any ID tag on it that has the ratio stamped in it!!! Dont quote me on this but i think this right.

if you are going to jack the wheels up and count the rotations, you can also find out if you have an open or limited-slip diff. if the wheels spin the same way, you have a limited-slip. if they spin opposite, it is an open diff. but first check for the sticker under side of the hood or tag on the diff cover. it seems that diff tags often get removed(mine was when i purchased @125k). i think the dealership should be able to look it up from your VIN number also.

no sticker in the glove box ..no original paperwork ..i am the third owner ..I think... no tags on the differential havent tried jacking it up yet to rotate the tires pretty sure i have a fully locked diff though i can hear it in the summer time when the windows are down and i make a turn the tires start skipping.

ah ok how is this transfer case marked so i might b able to tell? as i recall the transfer case was pretty clean last year when i changed the clutch

There is a little round tag on the back side of it that tells you what it is. Is will say either 241ldl or 241 hdl.:thumb1: