• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Prist really only deals with water in the fuel, the Jet Fuel is already good for the cold temps (gel wise) without prist. Kerosene is nothing more than No 1 thats a little bit "drier" you can mix it in any ratio you want, just make sure you have a lubricity additive in the tank too. But if you can find No 1 thats the best. 50:50 below about 20* and 100% below about -10*F is a good general rule of thumb.

WOW you get too anxious, I don't even think about running any sort of winter fuel until temps get to around 0 or below 10 degrees for an extended period. Then I run either amsoil or schaeffers fuel conditioner and if the temps fall to below zero then I switch over to winter fuel having never gone over a 50/50 blend but we have a special Cenex wintermaster blend with lubricity additives in it already and its good to -35. Before wintermaster came about I usually ran 75/25 at most with additive and have never gelled up in 25 years of driving diesel rigs. As for others I would never add gasoline and Kerosene would be a last resort, There has to be #1 fuel somewheres close by you. most space heaters or hot water pressure washers use #1 diesel fuel.
  • Like 3

• Owner

WOW you get too anxious, I don't even think about running any sort of winter fuel until temps get to around 0 or below 10 degrees for an extended period. Then I run either amsoil or schaeffers fuel conditioner and if the temps fall to below zero then I switch over to winter fuel having never gone over a 50/50 blend but we have a special Cenex wintermaster blend with lubricity additives in it already and its good to -35. Before wintermaster came about I usually ran 75/25 at most with additive and have never gelled up in 25 years of driving diesel rigs.

As for others I would never add gasoline and Kerosene would be a last resort, There has to be #1 fuel somewheres close by you. most space heaters or hot water pressure washers use #1 diesel fuel.

As for gasoline I would never use that... But as for access to #1 diesel is a long way from me (100 miles)... But the local hardware store does have kerosene in stock. But like ISX mention its expensive. But checking over the local fuelstation and talking with the owners I know who is adding PPD's (pour point depressants) the fuel and who isn't... :smart:

EDIT: I was curious and did a quick search and found this...

http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/fuel.html

As a rule for each 10% of #1 fuel you add to diesel fuel you will only lower the cfpp by 2 to 3 degrees. So if you had a fuel that started with a +5 cloud point and added 40 percent #1 you would gain 8 to 12 degrees. The problem with that is your fuel economy will go down and you still need to add additive depending on how cold it gets. You should look for a product in the market that will lower your cfpp by 20 degrees without the need for blending #1 and that has lubricity, an L10 detergency and enough cetane that you actually notice a difference in the way your vehicle runs.

I'm surprised you guys have to look so hard for kerosine. Seems like every other rural fuel station here has it. More common than diesel fuel! And usually about the same price here ($3.50ish now)On the other hand, I've never seen #1 diesel for sale.I don't worry about gelling here, it never gets cold enough to worry. -5 or -10 is the absolute coldest and that's very rare. When I go home to MN if it's going to get cold, I run Howe's diesel treat. Have never had an issue.

Hey I live in Minnesota and it gets cold!! I have used the white PS and red PS I talked to a tech at PS and he said you can treat the white bottle on a 1oz to 1gal and if you have a mild water issue the 911 on a 1oz to 3gal. But personally I use FPPF bio winter treat, they have a very good prouduct that lowers pour point and removes water. Here it gets below 0 as highs and -30 for lows and I have never gelled (knock on wood) but I don't think you guys should worry so much about your cold weather just change your fuel filter and be prepared always run a additive especially when you know its going to get cold:thumb1:

I've heard from a number of different guys up here that just blending your fuel won't solve gelling. They say it's the wax in the fuel that coats the filter and diluting it will just put off the evil day because the summer fuel is still in there with it's wax (I always forget if winter fuel is #1 or #2). By what you guys are saying here that is a myth. Can someone clear this up for me?

• Owner

Kind of like beacon grease. You leave it sit in the pan and cool and it will turn solid and white. Summer diesel does the same thing for the most part but it more like jello from what I've been told. But when the weather/fuel warms back up above the cloud point of the fuel it will convert the wax to a liquid state again. But yes it best to have a spare filter no hand you never know...

WOW you get too anxious, I don't even think about running any sort of winter fuel until temps get to around 0 or below 10 degrees for an extended period. Then I run either amsoil or schaeffers fuel conditioner and if the temps fall to below zero then I switch over to winter fuel having never gone over a 50/50 blend but we have a special Cenex wintermaster blend with lubricity additives in it already and its good to -35. Before wintermaster came about I usually ran 75/25 at most with additive and have never gelled up in 25 years of driving diesel rigs. As for others I would never add gasoline and Kerosene would be a last resort, There has to be #1 fuel somewheres close by you. most space heaters or hot water pressure washers use #1 diesel fuel.

well thank you for this info W&F. But when mine gelled up it was -15 and the truck sat for 24 hours in this weather. I did have half a bottle of PS (white bottle) in it and this still happened so I am looking for a better solution so that I can actually use the truck when it snows! So my question to you is do I just go down to my local fill station and ask for #1 diesel? thank you

#1 fuel is a good option but I like running a blended fuel our local Holiday Stations blend the fuel so it is good to certian temps depending on the year. Also see if you can find any FPPF bio winter treat it is a great product it removes water and lowers the pour point.

• Like 1

ok thank you. but my question is still unanswered. where do you find #1 diesel and what exactly is it? Is it dyed diesel or farm diesel around here (southeast kansas)?:shrug:

I don't know for sure but up here most bigget truck stops have #1 fuel it is a on road fuel that is thinned out so it dont gell, also if you can find a arctic fuel or blend. Good luck:thumb1:

talked with poer service yesterday and he clarified with me that you can run the grey bottle and the white bootle at the same time..white bottle is antigel and the grey bottle is not..he did tell me that the grey bottle has more detergents...lubricity...and cetane in it...when it is coldDO NOT USE THE GREY BOTTLE BY IT'S SELF....think i was gellin' up one morning last week and i think that it was cause i went to the local big fillin' station and i had been going to a oil company fillin' station where it takes there card or your debt card.never had a problem with his fuel.talking with him he blends some antigel/cleaner item with his diesel.well the morning i went to go fuel up i did not go there...went to the local fillin' station..added some of the white bottle..then added diesel...next morning i had some troubles...well talking with the power service rep..he asked some ?'s and he was wondering the temps outside...long story short..when it is freezing outside and your at the pump..add some diesel first because it is gunna be warmer than what is in your fuel tank..then add your additive...he was interesting to talk to..there site is nice to read about to...just some fyi folks...powerservice.com

ok thank you. but my question is still unanswered. where do you find #1 diesel and what exactly is it? Is it dyed diesel or farm diesel around here (southeast kansas)?:shrug:[/QUOIN

In years past kerosene had more sulfer content than #1 fuel, but with the new ULSD fuels Kerosene and #1 fuels are used interchangably. 100% #1 usually has a CFPP of -40F and a pour point of -50.

In Indiana, Ohio, Michigan area Marathon is the only refinery that supplies #1 to all refineries and users. You can purchase #1 here in Indiana, but it is typically 80 cents more per gallon than diesel. #1 fuel is harder to find because the refineries are using the #1 to reduce the cloud points of the fuel because the new ULSD fuels are harder to treat. I had a customer who had purchased a fuel that was incredibly hard to treat, it had a +3 cloud point (point at which wax crystals form in fuel). Note:the new ULSD fuels wax crystals will fall to the bottom of the tank and not float to the top of the fuel like in past LSD fuels.

We added 40%#1 and only lowered the CFPP by 11 degrees (-8). We then started testing the fuel, we found incredibly hard to treat but eventually we took one of our additives and lowered the CFPP by 22 degrees, taking it from a +3 to a-18 without the use of #1. The treat rate was expensive in my opinion but not anywhere near the 80 cents per gallon.

PRIST is not all bad. It has an anti-microcidal in it to kill any little beasties growing in the diesel fuel. When diesel price went to near $5 way back when, I drove around and checked kerosene pumps in my area to find pumps that were still set at $1.99. When I found them, I filled every container I owned with kerosene. I ran it straight but added about quart of oil to each 5 gallons of kerosene. As already mentioned, fuel economy does fall off but not freezing. I use Amalgamated TDR-WDA formula for winter use. So far no problems. It is way cheaper than Power Service and other when purchased in the 5 gallon pale. http://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-wda.aspx I run the TDR-S formula during warm weather.

• Like 1