• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

well i was on my way home from work and the truck just quit running. i now have a p500 and a p1693, truck will not start. any ideas as to where to start looking. kinda thinking i should have kept my ford. probably not i'm not that mad at this truck but getting close

sorry if i seem rude but i have had the truck less then a week and already have a no heat issue asn had to have the truck towed home already, its been a pretty $hitty week all in all, but what does this mean

"

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor 1 Circuit, or No Vehicle Speed Reference Signal 1 "

truck seems like its not gettig fuel, however the gauge is reading just under a 1/4 tank. Is there a way to test the fuel pump on this truck. I know on a gasser you can turn the key and listen for the pump. when i do this i hear nothing.

to add to my joy of working on the truck its currently -17f out in my driveway. Love living in Alberta. At least we get to watch hockey.

thanks againg for the help guys

Do you have a fuel gauge and/or aftermarket lift pump? It kinda sounds like a dead VP or a dead APPS sensor. Probably a dead VP from a dead lift pump which starved the VP-44 (injection pump) of fuel. That is the biggest weakness on these trucks. Get yourself a fuel pressure gauge and see what it is. If zero then plan on a VP-44 and a new lift pump. Don't go stock on the LP, go with a Raptor, Airdog, or full FASS (not DDRP). I don't think your speed sensor is your problem. That is just the ABS sensor.:thumb1:

sorry if i seem rude but i have had the truck less then a week and already have a no heat issue asn had to have the truck towed home already, its been a pretty $hitty week all in all, but what does this mean

"

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor 1 Circuit, or No Vehicle Speed Reference Signal 1 "

truck seems like its not gettig fuel, however the gauge is reading just under a 1/4 tank. Is there a way to test the fuel pump on this truck. I know on a gasser you can turn the key and listen for the pump. when i do this i hear nothing.

to add to my joy of working on the truck its currently -17f out in my driveway. Love living in Alberta. At least we get to watch hockey.

thanks againg for the help guys

Are you sure you have Fuel? You should hear the pump when you turn the key to start(just bump the starter)Actually the pump shuold run for 15 sec when key is turned to run.:2cents:

First off....oh crap, Mike said that.Second off ,put 10 gal of fuel in that puppy!!! My truck ran me dry and the gauge read 1/4 tank.After you add fuel you can open the injection lines at the head and bump the starter a few times and crank it over to see if the lift pump is pushing fuel to the injection pump.

fuel has been added still no start. I'll check the line tonight once it warms up a bit and i'll get the rest of the codes. Thanks again for the help guys. God bless trucks. At least on the bright sid eit's nothing money and time can't solve. At least i have one of those

fuel has been added still no start. I'll check the line tonight once it warms up a bit and i'll get the rest of the codes. Thanks again for the help guys. God bless trucks. At least on the bright sid eit's nothing money and time can't solve. At least i have one of those

IF in fact you have run the truck out of fuel, you will have to prime the fuel system. Rather than go over the entire procedure, read up on this: http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/reprime-fuel/reprime-fuel.htm With respect to purging the fuel filter canister, I loosen the plastic threaded top just enough to allow air and fuel to pass by the threads but leave the cap threaded on enough to remain in place. Be sure to place lots of rags under the fuel cannister so you don't spill fuel on the starter. Now bump the starter but do NOT start the engine (not gonna start anyway with no fuel) and the fuel lift pump should cycle for about 20 seconds. Watch for the fuel to start running out from around the fuel cannister plastic cap. When the fuel starts running over, turn the ignition key off. The rest of the purging procedure is covered above in the link. If you seen no fuel running over but hear the pump running, make sure the cap is unthreaded enough to allow the fuel to pass by and if there is still no fuel, your lift pump is dead and needs to be replaced. If the fuel filter element is of unknown condition, this is a good time to replace the filter element with a fresh new filter element. Once you have purged the fuel lines up to the fuel injector couplings on the cylinder head, snug everything up and attempt a start. Look for smoke from the exhaust while attempting the start. You may have to crank for an extended period of time and when she starts, she may not be happy about it by sputtering and missing until all of the air is push past the injectiors so keep the rpms up around 1500 - 2000 until the engine smooths out and runs good. If the engine still does not start, you may have other problems that can be addressed once you have eliminated fuel as an issue.

perfect i'll give this a try when i get home tonight, never even thought about having to bleed the fuel line. When i added the fuel last night i tried cranking it over fo probably close to a min on and off, and no luck. But i will try bleeding the system

thanks guys, i never had a chance to look at the truck over the week end while it warmed up a bit here but now that it's cold again i'll have some time to look at it tonight and keep you all in the loop

--- Update to the previous post...

so it looks like the lift pump is dead. Thinking of going with a raptor 100 or a 150, really what is the difference. My thinking is go with the 150 and turn it down compared to going with the 100 and turn it up plus why limit myself with the 100.