• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

You have to be kidding......

Ok, I thought my vp was shot, now I'm stumped. I posted that I was given an 02 QC which had been sitting for 2 years. When I got it started it ran rough, and smoked like a train (white smoke.). Last night I changed the fuel filter (which was black), and noticed the little "o" ring around the cap was missing. MMMM... So I put the new filter in, along with the new "o" ring. Fired it up, and it quit after 2 seconds or so. It lost prime. After bleeding it, the engine ran like new! When I revved it up, there was a little puff of BLACK smoke, but NO white smoke. So I took it out for a drive. Turning at the corner I got into it, and it lit the tires (buckshots) while getting good and sideways. Good God, the torque is addicting! So apparently it was sucking A LOT of air. Then this morning, with the engine cold (doesn't really get cold here, it was 65), it fired up, but was smoking again. Not near as bad as before though. After 5 minutes when the engine was warm it was like a new truck again, with no smoke. Could it be sucking air while cold, and then sealing itself from expansion after it warms up? Where could it be getting air from? I am getting a scanner today, and will clear the codes to see what comes up. any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.Christopher

Have you checked for codes using the ignition switch 3 click method? If you have not fuel pressure gauge, I strongly recommend obtaining a manual fuel pressure test gauge and observe the actual fuel pressure the VP-44 is seeing at the schrader valve test port. http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Fuel-Pressure-Tester-with-Schrader-Connection-p/fpt.htm

Yeah, I checked the codes before I changed the filter. That is why I need to get a scanner to clear them, so I can get fresh readings. The engine light did go off though! I have to get a fuel pressure gauge, but I am going to get a fass LP to try to keep the IP alive as long as possible. Ill update codes and such ASAP.