Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What oil filter do you use?

AH64ID

What oil filter do you use?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What oil filter do you use?

• Amsoil EaO80 or Donaldson ELF7349
    • Fleetguard LF16035 (Stratapore)
    • Fleetguard LF3972 (OEM)
    • Baldwin BT7349
    • Wix 57620 (NAPA 7620)
    • Wix 57620XE (NAPA 7620XE)
    • Purolator PureOne
    • Donaldson P558615
    • Mobil 1
    • I use a bypass too!

Ok. Well I just received my oil report from black stone labs and they told me I can now run up to 9k miles between. That test was on a mopar filter and shell rotella 15-40. Since then I have went to the stratapore and shell synthetic 10-30.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've always used the Stratapore but they're getting very expensive. Not so much an issue lately since I rarely drive the Cummins anymore for economic reasons but it still doesnt make it any cheaper when I need one. Thought about Geno's but after shipping costs they're more money. Last time I bought one from Cummins West they were going to charge me around $17 but I said thats to expensive and I couldnt justify spending that kinda money for one oil filter. So they reduced it to just under $15..... Not sure what NAPA charges but I believe their filters are WIX. I also have a place that sells Donaldson too but I'm not even sure what they'll want either.

I've always used the Stratapore but they're getting very expensive. Not so much an issue lately since I rarely drive the Cummins anymore for economic reasons but it still doesnt make it any cheaper when I need one. Thought about Geno's but after shipping costs they're more money. Last time I bought one from Cummins West they were going to charge me around $17 but I said thats to expensive and I couldnt justify spending that kinda money for one oil filter. So they reduced it to just under $15..... Not sure what NAPA charges but I believe their filters are WIX. I also have a place that sells Donaldson too but I'm not even sure what they'll want either.

BF web express has the the Baldwin BT7349 for $4.79 each plus shipping if you buy them by the case. http://www.bfwebexpress.com/catalog.asp
  • Like 2

Hey I manage a NAPA and we have our new platinum oil filter #47620 is on sale this month for $8.04 and I don't know a whole lot about this filter because they are brand new but my filter rep said they are the same as the amsoil filtes because wix makes alot of amsoils filters. Good Luck:thumb1:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just switched over to the Baldwin BD7317 this last week when I did the oil change and services on the wife's truck. Oil pressure and all looks good so far. :thumb1:I'll be keeing an eye on the cleanliness of the oil as compared to the BT7349 I have been using in the past.

It's really amazing how clean the oil stays in a Cummins diesel. I've had 2 Kubota's, Fjord 6.9 & the oil is/was black as soon as I changed it & pulled the stick on recheck oil level. Still on my second Kubota, what a trooper, the Fjord I couldn't keep it on the road.

The Cummins is more like a gasser, stays clean for at least 500-1,000K, even before I put the Frantz by-bass filter in.

Dave

--- Update to the previous post...

BTW, how often should I change the main filter? I change the Frantz's TP every 2-3K.

Honestly I really don't put much thought into it if it isn't a Fram. I have had bad experiences with Fram left and right and wouldn't dare use one on my Ram. Honestly though I have used the Mopar (stocked at Wally World), Fleetguard, Napa, Purolator, etc. I remember reading a page somewhere that showed where this guy dissected 30 oil filters and there were only like 5 manufactures, most of them were just relabeled and repriced.I have thought about a bypass system but I am not so sure it will pay for itself since I change my oil in the normal service interval anyway.

• Staff

There are 2 things that effect oil life, contamination and acidity. Contamination is what normally ends an oil's life as the oil and filter just can't hold any more; but with proper filtration you can run an oil longer until you get to where the acidity has depleted the TBN number and the oil needs to be changed.

There are 2 things that effect oil life, contamination and acidity. Contamination is what normally ends an oil's life as the oil and filter just can't hold any more; but with proper filtration you can run an oil longer until you get to where the acidity has depleted the TBN number and the oil needs to be changed.

Thats pretty much right on. Amongst common belief, oil never looses its lubricating properties unless its burnt. Its all the crap that gets in the oil which is the reason we need to change it. Thats why tranny and differential lube lasts so long, because there's no combustion contamination.

• Staff

Thats pretty much right on. Amongst common belief, oil never looses its lubricating properties unless its burnt. Its all the crap that gets in the oil which is the reason we need to change it. Thats why tranny and differential lube lasts so long, because there's no combustion contamination.

Or oil in a turbine engine.. lats indefinitely.