• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

They will run if the engine is cold and by that I mean under 60F. You know they are running by the volt gauge sway, if it is still swaying you know it is just an issue with the light. The light just gets power (+) from a fuse on the side of the dash and the PCM sends the negative (-) to turn the light on.

You really dont need a grid heater here it Tx. I disconected mine 3 years ago, infact my grid heater and relays are for sale here in the fore sale section. If it gets that cold I plug mine in just to get heater warmed up. Besides it will save your batts. big time.

When I was in college my grids were running for a longer period of time than the truck was running without them. About 5 times a day they cycled, and I would drive back across the street, for weeks. Batteries are fine, albeit all 4 of them, which are already 6+ years old.

What year is your rig? fill in your sig so we can halp more specifically. If the engine starts and runs then I would think a bad indicator bulb. If it was a no start and the wait to start light doesn't come on then the engine ecm is toast. I learned this the hard way after first buying a smarty. I was in the middle of the country about 30 miles from a town waiting to meet someone and decided to try a different download and all of a sudden the smarty download failed and I had a no start situation. After a few phone calls between Bob Wagoner and then on to Marco the smarty originator in Italy he had it figured out. bad memory card in the ecm. Bob next day aired me oan ecm at no charge.

Even if the ambient temp is high enough to keep the grids from coming on the WTS light is supposed to come on for a 'self check' when you turn the key on. I suggest that you pull the bulb and make sure it is still functional or try switching the bulb with a known good one.