• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What diesel to run when? When to run additives?

scubieman

So being new to the diesel world since April. I was wondering when you guys switch to 50/50 or straight 1? I seen a product by diesel kleen that will have number to not gel till negative 30 F. I would still do 50/50 before then. I thought about running opti-lube. read great things. So in a wrap of a question. What diesel to run when and to run additive when?[MOPAR][/MOPAR]

i have run straight #2 diesel fuel for all but 15k miles in mine with no problem. i have been in 5 to 10 below 0 to 105 above. 15k ago i started using 2 stroke for lubricity. i have had no fuel problems in the almost 10 years i have driven her.

• Owner

Like myself I've also been solely using only 2 cycle oil for the last 101K miles and no anti-gel, no injection cleaners, no cetane boosters. I've managed to get down to -25*F this last winter and no issues.

I think todays fuel has all the cetane you need you really don't need to add more...

There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer. The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability."

As you can see the highier you make the cetane the lower the BTU content becomes... So its best to have low cetane fuels for you truck. Even Dodge suggest 40 cetane in the summer and 45 cetane in the winter.

post-2-138698178343_thumb.jpg

As for fuel lubricity its way under the mark for Bosch's standards. According to Bosch's testing in 2001 all fuels should have a score of less that 460 HFRR. But wait a minute all ULSD is ~520 HFRR... This is where 2 cycle oil steps in...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As for injector cleaners... Most of them are solvent based and tend to strip the remaining lubricity out of the fuel much like dumping part solvent in diesel fuel. I highly suggest you don't use these products.

As for anti-gel I'm either extremely lucky or the PPD (Pour Point Depressants) in the 2 cycle oil have been aiding me through these last few cold winters. I know that snowmobile 2 cycle oils have a pour point down to -40*F or -50*F here locally in Idaho. So it like saying I know water freezes at 32*F and if I dump in some saltwater (unknown mixture) it will freeze at a lower temp. But no one will know how low because the mixture of the saltware is unknown... Kind of like say diesel is equal to water and 2 cycle oil is equal to saltwater.

Just my :2cents:

For all the reports they say it cleans the injectors by up to 40%, it improves fuel by 1 MPG, and engine is quieter. They say with the price of additive and the small increase in MPG it's a wash with price, but you get the added benefit of the lubricate.Now I dont get the luck of running 2 cycle since I have the 6.7 so I am looking for a different option. I prefer to stay away from number 1 fuel, but dont want to gel just cause I am afraid to run some.Last past couple winters for almost two weeks it has been under -10F for 2 weeks straight and some nights at -40 windchill or -25 temp

i ran a Kleen deisel product a while back. it had acetane booster, injector cleaner, more mpg, i dont remeber it saying any thing about being quieter though. ran about 4 months and never got any better milage or other benifit i could see. it definately did not run any quieter. i am glad i quit using it. especially after i satred reading up on my fuel system and the vp44. i know i am talking about 2nd gen5.9 versus your 6.7 and i dont know anything about yours, but i would suggest doing some more research before using anything that might do more harm than good. just my:2cents:.

I've run seasonally adjusted street diesel... ULSD. I ran some Mopar Cleaner through (at the dealer's insistance, to my complaint of poor mpg) and also tried some Howes they suggested. All it did was cost me mpgs. For the last 3 years, I've run TCW3 2 cycle oil only. It has quieted the engine a little & slight boost in mpgs... at least it didn't go down! I run the TCW3 because I have a Second Gen with a VP44 Injection Pump. Diesel stations sell correctly blended fuel for their location. If you tank up & drive to a colder climate, you might have trouble but should not under typical circumstances.

• 1 year later...

got my ram 2500 in 2006. used to be on here all the time when i got it. my question is in 2006 you recomended 2 cycle oil an diesel kleenz as a additive. know there is no mention of diesel kleenz just 2 cycle oil. whats the reason for just 2 cycle oil only. i've been using THE BREW an now have 98,000 miles with no ill effect. explain please. thank you in advance joe comstock

• Owner

got my ram 2500 in 2006. used to be on here all the time when i got it. my question is in 2006 you recomended 2 cycle oil an diesel kleenz as a additive. know there is no mention of diesel kleenz just 2 cycle oil. whats the reason for just 2 cycle oil only. i've been using THE BREW an now have 98,000 miles with no ill effect. explain please. thank you in advance joe comstock

Shouldn't mix products. :nono:

2 Cycle Oil is a cetane reducer and PS Diesel Kleen is a Cetane booster = Negated out boh products.

2 cycle oil is a lubricity enhancer and PS Diesel Kleen is a solvent base injector cleaner = Negated out both products.

So you basely been wasted money on both products. This is one of the reason I highly suggest using one product and never mixing.

HFRR test shows bit of what I'm saying...

Posted Image

:ahhh: Thats so wierd!! The only reason i did it was because i respected your opinion. Wish i could find your post i'd send it back to you so you could see it. Funny your not remmembering? Seems like it started as you should use marvel mystery oil with deisel kleenz then oh no thats not a could thing to do, then it was Use 2cycle (walmart oil) an grey bottle power deisel kleenz. This was all from You!! So i'll only use 2 cycle walmart oil from now on then. joe comstock

• Owner

Must of been a really old post from way back. I remember a post of mixing all this but after studying the contents of the other products vs. the 2 cycle oil. I might of fell in the trap long ago but I continue studying and try to make thing better every day. Still in all high cetane tend to be lower in BTU's also so why use a product that reduces cetane or increase BTU's then mix another product that does the reverse. That's why I started the research and better the information.

• Owner

As for the VP44 pump and cold weather I would expect the hydraulic pressure would get extreme. This why there suggest heating the oil before using to bring down the viscosity to a normal level. But then on the other hand the heated oil will most likely over heat the VP44 electronic and cause a failure. So the VP44 trucks are not suited very well for veggie oil usage typically. There are few that managed to do it but nothing ever listed on pump lifespan though.

• 9 months later...

I know this is a very old thread but it follows my question. I have been having trouble with my fuel gelling and my Raptor not working in extreme cold temps. We have been hanging right around -25 to -30F at night. I have been trying to get blended fuel and have been using 2 stroke oil as well. There are truck stops in town here that sell straight #1 diesel fuel. What are your thoughts on running this fuel?

The only reason it is such a big deal is the cummins is our only vehicle so I need it to be reliable. Thanks for any info and tips.

Do they have any blender pumps up there? I would definately be putting in 2 stroke with straight #1, never in my life have I ran straight #1.

I have used 25%#2 and 75%#1 a time or two at -30 and colder but usually only run 50/50 but I know what fuel quality I have at my local stations and what it is capable of.

I remember telling you what you were in for while living in GF a few months ago. :tongue:

Looks like you have been 10-15*colder up there on average than in the Bismarck area so far this season.

• Like 1

I am not sure what you mean by blender pumps. I am still all new to this extreme cold weather stuff. I know the station that I have been using have signs posted all over the place claiming their fuel is blended for -30*F. I am not sure what mix of 1 and 2 that would be though.

On a side note, is it at all possible that the raptor is physically to cold to work properly? If I had any kind of means I would probably pick up a cheap gasser for the winter time because so far this whole thing kind of sucks.

I remember you warning very vividly Bill :moon:

The fass HPFP I had on my 02 was never a happy camper at anything under -10 until the grids quit cycling and the batteries recovered from the cold start and grids.

Blender pumps have one nozzle and you press one of 5 buttons usually to choose what blend you want and the pump blends it while you fill,

they have choices below

straight #2

75% #2  /  25% #1

50/50

25% #2 /  75%#1

straight #1

When it comes to preblended fuels stations sell a lot just do either a 50/50 or they have an actual "Winterized" fuel that has its own additives and a blend you have to ask the station specifically what it is.

• Like 1