• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Whats the spec on powering up the Lift pump?

Can't help on the specs, sorry, but I did check my truck after reading your comment, and as soon as I turned my key, the lift pump started. After thumbing through my manual, nothing was indicated as to this issue.

• Owner

My lift pump takes 20-25 seconds to get power; I think thats too long. No Codes. Sign of Fubar PCM?:banghead:

ECM...

Posted Image

ECM is in sole control of the lift pump circuit... No relays unless you got a aftermarket...

G107 is behind the starter if your wondering so you'll have to remove the starter to get that ground... :duh:

I have a '99 that has a similar problem. I purchased the truck last November & at first my pump powered up as normal; ~2 second pulse as soon as key was turned on, 25 second run time if starter is bumped. At sometime during this past winter it changed to no discernible pattern. Occasionally I'll get the pulse as soon as the key is turned, but not often. Most the time if I wait like you (~25 sec) it will pulse. Sometimes it won't pulse unless I bump the starter. I've tried starting the truck without waiting for the lift pump to turn on; a cold engine won't start but if I had recently shut it down (like at a fuel fill-up) it will start without transfer fuel pump pressure. As soon as the engine starts the transfer pump stays on-line and performs as normal. I suspect that the problem is a glitch in the ECM and perhaps could be sorted with a "re-flash" from a dealer. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't leave me stranded.Joe in St Louis

I have 2 of the 98.5 24v, and if the wts light doesn't come on, the truck just turns over! But as soon as the wts light comes on the lift pump fires and the truck will crank and run! I've had my ecm reflashed an it didn't help on my truck! I've been dealing with this for several years now, and haven't found the answer! :doh:

• Owner

What would happen if you just wired the lift pump to the battery with a switch? :shrug:

Well if you turn on the pump before you start the truck you'll have hard starting issues. Then if you forget to turn on the pump after you start the engine then you VP44 will be ruined... During cranking the lift pump is modulated at 50% duty cycle till you release the key to prevent excessive pressure during starting.
  • Like 1

During cranking the lift pump is modulated at 50% duty cycle till you release the key to prevent excessive pressure during starting.

Don't follow what you mean by 50% duty cycle. I would get a 2 second pulse, then pump would turn off until engine started. If I bumped the starter the pump would run for 25 seconds then shut off, but it would start fine anytime during the 25 second run. How is "duty cycle" modulated on the big pumps like Airdog, FASS, Raptor, etc. that are wired through a relay?

• Owner

Don't follow what you mean by 50% duty cycle. I would get a 2 second pulse, then pump would turn off until engine started. If I bumped the starter the pump would run for 25 seconds then shut off, but it would start fine anytime during the 25 second run. How is "duty cycle" modulated on the big pumps like Airdog, FASS, Raptor, etc. that are wired through a relay?

When you cranking on the starter the ECM send a on - off - on - off - on signal ot the lift pump at exactly 50% off and %50 percent on.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCJjMzRImpA

Mike, Thanks for the video. Never saw that on my gauge, but then I never have cranked mine over with the relay removed. Once I get a pulse from the fuel transfer pump, it starts instantly like your truck. It is just that sometimes I don't get any power to the pump unless I bump the starter. Other times it gets a quick pulse as soon as the key is turned on, or it may take 5 seconds or so before it pulses. No real pattern I can discern.Joe in St Louis

is it relevant that on my '01, if I turn the key on, no pump action occurs? But if I bump the starter, the pump will 'prime' for about 5-10 secs?

Your LP should run about 25 seconds if you bump the starter, otherwise you have a 'normal' truck.