• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crusie Control and Towing

Do you use cruise control while towing?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use cruise control while towing?

• As often as possible
    • Most of the time
    • Sometimes
    • Interstate Only
    • Rarely
    • Never

• Owner

I only use it when it safe to... If I'm up here winding through the mountain that's not a good time to use it... But down in the flatland of southern Idaho sure I fire up the cruise and set it when hauling the 30' Jayco. I cancel the cruise going downhill so I have control of the exhaust brake and cancel on the uphill to control the EGT's.

• Staff

I only use it when it safe to... If I'm up here winding through the mountain that's not a good time to use it... But down in the flatland of southern Idaho sure I fire up the cruise and set it when hauling the 30' Jayco. Another time I cancel the cruise is downhill so I have control of the exhaust brake.

I use mine all the time winding thru the mountain roads around Idaho. I find it much easier/safer driving to pick a speed that will allow me to make all the corners and just hold that speed, no accelerating or braking. Most of the time that speed is the posted speed limit, or 5 below. As far as downhill your exhaust brake must work different than mine. If I have CC engaged and the EB on and the speed goes above the set point the EB will engage and keep me at that speed, it works great on the mountain roads around here. On a recent trip from Boise to Idaho City (about a windy a road as anywhere, and a good contstent climb) I set the cruise at 43 with the EB on, I only had to touch the fuel or brake pedal once each way on the trip up and trip back, speed limit was 45 and I didn't ever have a backup of cars behind me. It was the easiest towing I had ever done on that road because I didn't have to play with my speed.

i use mine alot. the only anoying thing i have encountered is going up a hill i might bleed a little speed and when i start down the other side it will speed up to over my set speed before backing back to the set speed. it is like there is a delay starting up the hill and a delay in it cutting out at the set speed. if i hit the throttle slightly before the it will usually hold the speed up and not overeact going back down. like i said it is annoying but i got fairly used to it.

I don't find the cruise control saves fuel over my (cheap) right foot. Towing heavy, it's a wash but I'd not trust it anyway... as I work the OD in/out. By feathering the fuel when I can, coasting where I can, especially backing off as I crest a hill... I find I'm a mpg better consistantly.

• Owner

I use mine all the time winding thru the mountain roads around Idaho. I find it much easier/safer driving to pick a speed that will allow me to make all the corners and just hold that speed, no accelerating or braking. Most of the time that speed is the posted speed limit, or 5 below. As far as downhill your exhaust brake must work different than mine. If I have CC engaged and the EB on and the speed goes above the set point the EB will engage and keep me at that speed, it works great on the mountain roads around here. On a recent trip from Boise to Idaho City (about a windy a road as anywhere, and a good contstent climb) I set the cruise at 43 with the EB on, I only had to touch the fuel or brake pedal once each way on the trip up and trip back, speed limit was 45 and I didn't ever have a backup of cars behind me. It was the easiest towing I had ever done on that road because I didn't have to play with my speed.

That's the difference between the two series of trucks (2nd Gens & 3rd Gens)... Like the stretch of road from New Meadows,ID to Council, ID is windy roads and up and down... So empty yes that my typically way of doing it set my CC just low enough that I can swing all the corner without touching the brake. But with the trailer is starts pushing downhill and gaining speed so I got to cancel CC to gain control of the EB.

• Staff

Cruise control uses more fuel but I I use all of the time.

I would say you have the miles under our belt to prove it! I just noticed that I use less due to constant speed, now if I was driving to get the best possible mileage I could see where paying attention to the topography and using your foot would be better, but normally I am on vacation and want easy towing!

Mike brings up a good point... my ToyHauler does not gain speed on downhills, even fairly steep downhills. I know it's like towing a bill board but I still wonder if there is some drag that should not be there.

But with the trailer is starts pushing downhill and gaining speed so I got to cancel CC to gain control of the EB.

I wish I could've voted in 2 or 3 catagories. Towing in relatively level country, I use the cruise a lot....on state highways and interstates. If I get into the hills in southern Illinois and Kentucky or Iowa or norther Wisconsin, I never use the cruise, because I can get better mileage towing in the hills without it, and the EGT's get too high for my liking with it on and towing.

• Owner

Mike brings up a good point... my ToyHauler does not gain speed on downhills, even fairly steep downhills. I know it's like towing a bill board but I still wonder if there is some drag that should not be there.

Sounds like time to check the brakes and bearings on the ToyHauler...

I use it 24/7. I can't pivot my foot back far enough to keep it at a constant speed too easily. Was a lot easier with the ford since you just floored it. Right now I put the very front tip of my shoe on the very bottom edge of the pedal, that way my foot is almost flat, rather than bent all the way up to my shin. I use it even more with the trailer.

Sounds like time to check the brakes and bearings on the ToyHauler...

Mike, I've gotta agree with Russ here. Even towing down long grades going at a good speed, my truck doesn't gain speed!!! That said, I've not trailered thru Chattanooga or the like towing with my truck...towing.....but she doesn't gain speed at all.

And JFYI, I just had a full brake job done about 2 months ago because of a seized drivers side caliper. Ain't no dragging brakes now!!!

I'm gonna make a run to return the _____ I'm breeding my male to within the next couple weeks. I'm not gonna be towing.........I think...........but I'll report my mileage on the trip. The trip will likely be to at least Marion, IL..................and I'm almost Wisconsin!!!!! So it'll be worth reporting!!!:smart:

The road to Chatanooga (24) has a five mile stretch of six degree hill. Do not test if you will pick up speed here. You can just be sure you will. That is a serious hill with a trailer and it has some nice curves and no breaks.

I40 near ashville nc 6 miles 5% to 7% lots of twists and turns just like in chatanooga. i cant do either one of those without thinking about the runaway truck ramps. My 5'r weighs about 14k and it will run away if you let it, even on lesser grades. it is almost 13' tall and there is not enough drag to even think about slowing you down. if i did not gain speed on a down grade i would be wondering what was wrong.

Mike, I've gotta agree with Russ here. Even towing down long grades going at a good speed, my truck doesn't gain speed!!! That said, I've not trailered thru Chattanooga or the like towing with my truck...towing.....but she doesn't gain speed at all.

And JFYI, I just had a full brake job done about 2 months ago because of a seized drivers side caliper. Ain't no dragging brakes now!!!

I'm gonna make a run to return the _____ I'm breeding my male to within the next couple weeks. I'm not gonna be towing.........I think...........but I'll report my mileage on the trip. The trip will likely be to at least Marion, IL..................and I'm almost Wisconsin!!!!! So it'll be worth reporting!!!:smart:

I can't say I gain any speed either. I know for a fact the brakes on the trailer don't work at all, same with the truck brakes. I've never had a dragging brake condition, don't even know how it would come about. You let off the brake pedal and the thing lets off the brake calipers, if its still holding them then I would think you got bigger problems.