• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have noticed my truck surging a little latly and was wondering if it could be the APPS. It feels like driving into a gusty wind. Would it give a code if it was acting up? I havn't check for any yet.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong when I say this, but I was told if you can use cruise control and it doesn't surge when doing it, it's not likely an apps issue. Mine randomnly does the same, seems to be more of a cold weather thing. You can try cleaning your IAT sensor, maybe that is getting gummed up :shrug:

• Owner

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong when I say this, but I was told if you can use cruise control and it doesn't surge when doing it, it's not likely an apps issue. Mine randomnly does the same, seems to be more of a cold weather thing. You can try cleaning your IAT sensor, maybe that is getting gummed up :shrug:

As for the cruise that only work for the later 2nd gens with electronic cruise contrl and not the mechanical vacuum motor. As for the IAT the only time that gets dirty is when you got a exhaust brake. Non-exhaust brake truck typically don't have a issue with either IAT or MAP sensor.
  • Like 1

I just replaced my APPS and it would jerk like the truck was missing every now and then. Sometimes it would hesitate and then take off when pressing the accelerator pedal also like was surging if you could describe it as that. Are you talking about running at constant speed and the the truck starts to surge without giving it any fuel?

Sorry I haven't responded sooner I have been a little under the weather. Haven't checked the codes yet but my fuel pressure is around 18 to 19 psi and it happens during constant speeds without cruise. Thanks for all the input. I'll try to check for codes tomorrow

I have noticed my truck surging a little latly and was wondering if it could be the APPS. It feels like driving into a gusty wind. Would it give a code if it was acting up? I havn't check for any yet.

I have been feeling something very much like driving into a gusty wind like you say. Just every once in a while. i can feel it but all of my gauges are holding steady. Mostly hilly country where I am driving so the movement in my boost gauge is the only thing i see. Not sure if that is due to grade changes. a subtle change will make the boost move up and down. When you say surging I am thinking the rpm rising on its own which you should be able to see in the tach. But if it is what I am feeling you have to be quick to the gauge to see it. I cant see it but every so often i feel it. My injectors are leaking at the head and I attributed it to that and until i stop the leak I am leaning towards that for what I am sensing. Is this any thingclose to what you are feeling?

i get a cruise control "surge" when on setting 5, the pedal is so sensitive that the calibration of the cruise vacuum linkage gives to much throttle and the truck pulls hard, then it sees that and lets off too much then its just a rollercoaster after that. i can steady it with my foot but it is clearly my cruise control overworking the sensitive pedal. im gonna rectify that soon.

i get a cruise control "surge" when on setting 5, the pedal is so sensitive that the calibration of the cruise vacuum linkage gives to much throttle and the truck pulls hard, then it sees that and lets off too much then its just a rollercoaster after that. i can steady it with my foot but it is clearly my cruise control overworking the sensitive pedal. im gonna rectify that soon.

I get that too but it has done that since I had the truck. I just leave it on the TOW setting and its fine. My camper isn't that heavy to need setting 5. Can you adjust it to be less sensitive?

my 01 was doing this surge deal pretty bad at about 45-50mph when just trying to hold speed.i hadn't really thought about it til i saw this post but mike(moparman) told me how to reset my apps & haven't noticed it since.but i cannot use my cruse control at all with the mods i have.just a slight decrease is speed & it accels hard to ge tup to speed,just wastes fuel,more steady with my foot.:banghead:

• 3 weeks later...

my 01 was doing this surge deal pretty bad at about 45-50mph when just trying to hold speed.i hadn't really thought about it til i saw this post but mike(moparman) told me how to reset my apps & haven't noticed it since.but i cannot use my cruse control at all with the mods i have.just a slight decrease is speed & it accels hard to ge tup to speed,just wastes fuel,more steady with my foot.:banghead:

i was going to remedy this by placing the cruise cable higher up the throttle linkage so its movement will be proportionate to the cruising demand