• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

So it is in oz's then? so if you had 300:1 its 300 oz fuel to 1 oz oil correct? I am really not that dumb I promise just SLOW. Thanks for the education :smart:

Correct... That is how the ratio system works... So you could change it up and use liters too... :whistle: But that might just mess you up realy bad... :lol: There is no such thing as a dumb question here and no your not going to get flamed just because you don't know... Well you might get slobbered on but that all... :drool::lmao::lmao2:

So it is in oz's then? so if you had 300:1 its 300 oz fuel to 1 oz oil correct? I am really not that dumb I promise just SLOW. Thanks for the education :smart:

Ratios work by "parts". Meaning 300 parts fuel to every 1 part oil. One really easy way is to just divide the amount of fuel by the ratio to get how much oil it needs. I will use an easy example here. 128:1 just happens to be 1 oz to 1 gallon of fuel because 128 oz. is actually the same as 1 gallon. So for every gallon, you use 1 oz. Since there are 4 quarts in a gallon, you can take 128/4 and get 32 oz, so 1 quart is 32 oz. Using what I said earlier in this paragraph, you just take 32 gallons of fuel divided by 128 and you will get 0.25, meaning 1/4 of 128 oz, which is 32, which is 1 quart. If you got a calculator, take the gallons of fuel you filled up with, say 30 gallons, multiply that by 128 to convert it to oz., then divide that by your ratio to get the exact amount of oil you need in oz. So 30 x 128 = 3840, 3840/300 (as in the original 300 ratio) = 12.8 oz. It's really easy once you realize 128 oz is equal to 1 gallon. Yesterday at work the 2 stroke oil bottle for the cement saw said 50:1, 3 oz. It also said 40:1, 3 oz. :doh: I whipped out the calculator since uh, how can you have the same amount of oil and different ratios... Simply take 128/50 and you get 2.56 oz. which is per gallon since I used 128 oz. (1 gallon). Then I took 128/40 and got 3.2 oz per gallon. So they rounded. I guess they figured the average person aiming for 50:1 will spill a little and the average person doing 40:1 will go over a little :shrug::rolleyes:

• Staff

When I put 2 stroke in my truck I just judge it by how the quart bottles feel while dumping it in. If I need 3 quarters of a tank to fill, I dump in about that amount from the qt. bottle. If I'm going to fill a half tank, I just dump in what feels like a half bottle. Usually add a little more to be sure. The VP thanks me so far.Mopar, The DPF you wrote about.... I would be doing the 2 stroke anyway because it's the oil fuel in our trucks that makes them last so much longer over a gas engine. Wouldn't a few holes in the DPF filter solve that problem?

• Owner

When I put 2 stroke in my truck I just judge it by how the quart bottles feel while dumping it in. If I need 3 quarters of a tank to fill, I dump in about that amount from the qt. bottle. If I'm going to fill a half tank, I just dump in what feels like a half bottle. Usually add a little more to be sure. The VP thanks me so far. Mopar, The DPF you wrote about.... I would be doing the 2 stroke anyway because it's the oil fuel in our trucks that makes them last so much longer over a gas engine. Wouldn't a few holes in the DPF filter solve that problem?

Yeah it would but my whole idea is to find someone willing to test with a DPF and prove its not going to plug up early or... :shrug:
  • Like 1

Same here. I was standing by the truck with my son, engine running and as the oil made its way into the engine i noticed it getting quieter and remarked on same to my son. He stood there looking at me :cookoo:thinking i was out of my mind. I really did not expect any one to notice it but me. but the look on his face was priceless.

Hey Guys thanks for the help and taking the time to teach a guy! I really appreciate it! :thumbup2:

--- Update to the previous post...

Ratios work by "parts". Meaning 300 parts fuel to every 1 part oil. One really easy way is to just divide the amount of fuel by the ratio to get how much oil it needs. I will use an easy example here. 128:1 just happens to be 1 oz to 1 gallon of fuel because 128 oz. is actually the same as 1 gallon. So for every gallon, you use 1 oz. Since there are 4 quarts in a gallon, you can take 128/4 and get 32 oz, so 1 quart is 32 oz. Using what I said earlier in this paragraph, you just take 32 gallons of fuel divided by 128 and you will get 0.25, meaning 1/4 of 128 oz, which is 32, which is 1 quart.

If you got a calculator, take the gallons of fuel you filled up with, say 30 gallons, multiply that by 128 to convert it to oz., then divide that by your ratio to get the exact amount of oil you need in oz. So 30 x 128 = 3840, 3840/300 (as in the original 300 ratio) = 12.8 oz. It's really easy once you realize 128 oz is equal to 1 gallon.

Yesterday at work the 2 stroke oil bottle for the cement saw said 50:1, 3 oz. It also said 40:1, 3 oz. :doh: I whipped out the calculator since uh, how can you have the same amount of oil and different ratios... Simply take 128/50 and you get 2.56 oz. which is per gallon since I used 128 oz. (1 gallon). Then I took 128/40 and got 3.2 oz per gallon. So they rounded. I guess they figured the average person aiming for 50:1 will spill a little and the average person doing 40:1 will go over a little :shrug::rolleyes:

Ok so if I were to say use a 500:1 ratio I filled up with 17 gallons of fuel. Multiply 17 by 128 to get oz's = 2176 then divide by your ratio which in this case is 500 it would be 4.352 or 4.4 oz's you need to add? Is this right does not seem like it?

or...

take 17 divided by 500 = .034 then multiply that by 128 to convert to Oz's right? = 4.352 or 4.4 oz's right

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray: hope I am correct!

Yes, both methods are correct. There's always 10 different ways to do anything in life, that was 2 of them lol.

Thanks Man! You are correct about 10 different ways to solve something but you have to find the one that makes sense to you I guess. I put all your valuable info into my phone for reference material. Thanks again ISX and to all that helped me or slobbered on me :lmao::thumbup2:

Thanks Man! You are correct about 10 different ways to solve something but you have to find the one that makes sense to you I guess. I put all your valuable info into my phone for reference material. Thanks again ISX and to all that helped me or slobbered on me :lmao::thumbup2:

Yeah you can also take the reciprocal of 128 which is 0.0078125 and now it becomes a multiplication problem. 0.0078125 x 32 gallons = 0.25 gallons, to convert to oz.: 0.25 x 128 = 32 oz. or 1 quart. You can find reciprocals by putting a 1 over it, as in 1/128. Normally a regular number such as 5 is actually 5 over 1 or 5 divided by 1, which is still 5, so the reciprocal is the opposite, or 1 over 5, which is 0.2. It allows you to turn division problems into multiplication which most people find easier since multiplication has no order. As in, 5 x 1 = 1 x 5, but 1/5 does not equal 5/1. If you forget to punch one number in first, multiplication doesn't care. The easiest way to think of it is like 10/2, we know that is 5. But what if you want to multiply it instead of divide.... Well 10 is the numerator (top of the fraction) and 2 is the denominator (bottom). You can break the 2 apart into 10/1 (which is of course just 10) and 1/2 or 0.5. When you break them apart like that, you multiply the two instead. So 10/1 x 1/2 = 10 x 0.5 = 5. Not sure why I wanted to explain that to you guys but you got me going and I couldn't stop :lol:

• Owner

Typically most just buy Walmart Supertech Outboard 2 Cycle Oil. But I've used a lot of different 2 cycle oils snowmobile, outboard, chainsaw, etc... PenzOil, Supertech, Quaker State, Yamalube, Sthl, Valvoline, Phillips 66, etc... The only thing I won't suggest using is synthetics... The PPD (Pour point depressant) is used in petroluem products but since synthetic oils don't have parafin wax it doesn't have a PPD added so it will not help/aid in gelling... Cold country up here seeing 0*F in the morning is enough to make you consider your fuel and additives closely.

• Like 1

• Staff

Typically most just buy Walmart Supertech Outboard 2 Cycle Oil. But I've used a lot of different 2 cycle oils snowmobile, outboard, chainsaw, etc... PenzOil, Supertech, Quaker State, Yamalube, Sthl, Valvoline, Phillips 66, etc... The only thing I won't suggest using is synthetics... The PPD (Pour point depressant) is used in petroluem products but since synthetic oils don't have parafin wax it doesn't have a PPD added so it will not help/aid in gelling... Cold country up here seeing 0*F in the morning is enough to make you consider your fuel and additives closely.

Mostly I use the Pennzoil marine 2 cycle but I bought a couple cases of West Marine TCW3 2 cycle lately. On my Flatbed ctd I have to use a paper towel center roll to dump it in because of the tool boxes in the way. What I thought I noticed once when using SuperTech from wally's was that it seemed to soak thru the paper towel roll a little faster:shrug: could be wrong here but, it seemed that way. Maybe there's a little 'watering down'? Hope I'm wrong for your guys sake. Anyway West Marine has it by the cases (6 gallons) and sometimes the clerk will really talk turkey over price for a couple of them. Might be Worth a try.. Last time 12 gallons cost me around $125. I remember saving about 85 bucks that way.

Yeah you can also take the reciprocal of 128 which is 0.0078125 and now it becomes a multiplication problem. 0.0078125 x 32 gallons = 0.25 gallons, to convert to oz.: 0.25 x 128 = 32 oz. or 1 quart. You can find reciprocals by putting a 1 over it, as in 1/128. Normally a regular number such as 5 is actually 5 over 1 or 5 divided by 1, which is still 5, so the reciprocal is the opposite, or 1 over 5, which is 0.2. It allows you to turn division problems into multiplication which most people find easier since multiplication has no order. As in, 5 x 1 = 1 x 5, but 1/5 does not equal 5/1. If you forget to punch one number in first, multiplication doesn't care. The easiest way to think of it is like 10/2, we know that is 5. But what if you want to multiply it instead of divide.... Well 10 is the numerator (top of the fraction) and 2 is the denominator (bottom). You can break the 2 apart into 10/1 (which is of course just 10) and 1/2 or 0.5. When you break them apart like that, you multiply the two instead. So 10/1 x 1/2 = 10 x 0.5 = 5. Not sure why I wanted to explain that to you guys but you got me going and I couldn't stop :lol:

Come on man now you are slobbering on me I know what reciprocal is! :lmao: but it never hurts to get a refresher course! I tell you what if I ever have something that I need mathematically figured out you are my guy! :smart: Professor ISX! As for the oil as long as its ash less its ok to run. you dont want to run anything that causes ash right?

I'm new here and share a 99 Dodge Cummins with my son. Haven't had it that long and am new to diesel trucks. My question is What does running 2 cycle oil in the fuel do? I assume it is to give the engine parts more lub? Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but like I said, I'm new to this.Thanks,Woody