• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another Wolf Attack in Emmett, Idaho

Mopar1973Man

Well they were here first! Its called survival of the fittest. Mother nature weeds out the week even if its human. Doesn't mean they need to be killed because they kill off the stupid.:banghead: Our state is saturated with mountain lions and everyone wants to kill them even though they do little noticable damage. A couple horses dogs and domestic cats get wounded or killed every year but not much else.

• Staff

I got that in an email a few months ago. But that's from up north, not Emmett. As for the wolves in Idaho.. Wolves were never native to Idaho, as man settled west we pushed the elk (which are also not native to the Idaho mountains) west and turned plains animals into mountain animals. Timber wolves lived on elk in the plains and followed them to the mountains but were exterminated shortly thereafter. Man never got a chance to study wolves predating on elk in the mountains. Fast foreword to 1995. For some unknown reason people wanted wolves reintroduced into Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. They were never here of their own accord, but hey lets release some. Instead of releasing Timber Wolves they uses the Canadian Grey wolf, a larger and more aggressive breed. They are on average 20% bigger, but with the food source in Idaho that number is low. The wolves have done a number on elk, who were not accustomed to defending themselves against wolves in the mountains, especially ones this large and aggressive. So in short, they are not natural and should be killed off. I too don't go anywhere without a gun, but really have no fear of wolves, but want to fill my tags if I see one!

• Like 1

My point being the wolves are still native to north america, other than the american indians we humans are the invasive species here.:evilgrin:So other than us humans moving into wolf territory, I still don't see the problem here.:shrug: Its natural for predators to move. Especially those that are territorial.

• Staff

My point being still the wolves are still native to north america

But this would be like replacing the Apache's with Eskimos, sure they are native to the continent but not the correct breed. If your going to re-introduce something at least do it with the proper species, and location.. Really it's not even a reintroduction, it's simply an introduction.

Canadian grey or timber wolf in the northern part of the us is minor we could be talking a difference of a hunderd miles of original territory around the turn of the 20th century, had man not intervened they would have followed the food supply either way, so to say they are not natural to that part of the country is hard to prove. Look at mountain lions. They are all across north and south dakota and minnesota but they were not introduced or reintroduced its the territorial nature of the animal and following the food and juveniles being forced to new areas.

• Staff

Without man Elk would probably still be on the plains with Buffalo, not in the heart of the Rockies where they are now. But even if Elk had moved to the mountains they would have been followed by Timber Wolves, a much smaller and less aggressive species. There is really nothing natural about the current situation, and you can't really compare it to Mountain Lions because they are all one species, it's not like we have African Lions in one region and Mountain Lions in the other. The species difference is also more than just size. Look at Brown Bears, 3 distinct forms but one species. Brown, Grizzly, and Kodiak's are all the same species, but are quite different in size. A Grizzly is the smallest, then Brown's, then the Kodiak's which can be 150% larger than a Grizzly.

We don't have wolves but cross bred coy-dogs here. When I would take to the woods with my horse, I'd pack my 3" SW M66. I remember hearing a pack of them pushing through the brush all around us. It was dang cold & I hated to unsnap my vest for access to the concealed revolver... but I sure enough did. Later on, when I got into historical re-enacting, I had pommel holsters made for a matched pair of flint pistols... easily carried a pair of N frame Smiths... under the bearskin covers. (My Ex's yuppy friends had no idea I was packing iron.) One can never have too many guns. Cooper's first rule "Have a Gun"

The elk herds in the panhandle of Idaho were shipped in from Jackson Wyoming by train and were released in the upper ST.Joe River country. The wolves we now have in our area wandered in and found lots of deer and elk to feed on so they have stayed. Thankfully it is legal to hunt them and you can buy wolf tags now. They all need to go. I believe that if we captured a truck full and didn't feed them for a few days and then turned them loose in places like downtown Seattle and Portland more people could enjoy seeing them.

I got that in an email a few months ago. But that's from up north, not Emmett.

As for the wolves in Idaho.. Wolves were never native to Idaho, as man settled west we pushed the elk (which are also not native to the Idaho mountains) west and turned plains animals into mountain animals. Timber wolves lived on elk in the plains and followed them to the mountains but were exterminated shortly thereafter. Man never got a chance to study wolves predating on elk in the mountains.

Fast foreword to 1995. For some unknown reason people wanted wolves reintroduced into Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. They were never here of their own accord, but hey lets release some. Instead of releasing Timber Wolves they uses the Canadian Grey wolf, a larger and more aggressive breed. They are on average 20% bigger, but with the food source in Idaho that number is low. The wolves have done a number on elk, who were not accustomed to defending themselves against wolves in the mountains, especially ones this large and aggressive.

So in short, they are not natural and should be killed off.

I too don't go anywhere without a gun, but really have no fear of wolves, but want to fill my tags if I see one!

:thumbup2:

The wolves introduced to the area recently are the Canadian Shield Wolf. I hunt every year to put meat on my table. That means I'm going for the elk as much as possible. If these damn liberal bunny huggers wanna see wolves, they can to a ZOO! Matter of fact, 15 miles south of me, they have a small business called, "Wolf People". Guess what happened not too long ago? ONE got out! I hope it died a slow death.

SOME of you guys are missing the point about these wolves. These species of wolves came from the Yukon of CANADA! They are much bigger than what the original wolf was. FISH AND GAME introduced these wolves to the area. Either they did not bother to think about what they were doing, or they did it on purpose. These wolves are a big problem in my opinion. Everyone says let them be, and no harm no foul. But have you ever bothered to look into what wolves do?

They teach their young by taking them on hunting parties, and I would almost say that gives them too much of the benefit of the doubt to say hunting party. I would almost just call it a killing party. They will take their young and decimate elk herd all in the name of experience of the kill! They do not eat them after, they will just leave the elk. I for one will say we all did JUST fine without these damn dogs. Our ecosystem was just fine before them, and there was plenty of elk and other animals for human consumption.

Before you go off bantering to me about why there is supermarkets that have packaged beef, I will say I for one will not sit there and eat that packaged crap that has every known thing injected in the cow. Not to mention if you want to call me, a "hunter" a murderer. Take a look at the damn slaughter houses. You wanna call me a savage? You better think again how that pound of ground beef with meat from a thousand cows got there on your plate.

RANT OUT! :mad:

• Like 2