• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Not running well and don't know whats wrong

MobyDick

Hi folks I am new to the forum. I am a contractor by trade. I can build you just about anything from the ground up. When it comes to vehicles particulary diesel my knowledge is limited. That being said I have a 2005 Ram 2500 and she is acting up. Over the past few weeks from idle to 1500 rpm the truck sputters, vibrates and just runs like crap in general. The truck also acts like the cruise control is set sometimes the throttle won't back down for a good 30 seconds. I will be sitting at a light, motor running at 1500 rpm holding the brake down so she won't take off. I did an oil change, I changed the fuel filter and made sure air filter was good. On a side note and I know this is bad and I take full credit for the stupidity(I should have read the owners manual) that recent fuel filter change was the first one ever and I bought it new:doh:I have run sea foam in the fuel as well as diesel kleen and the problem is not going away.Suggestions, thoughts, has anyone heard of this problem before??

Fill out you "signature" about your truck............year, modifications etc. Off hand, it sounds like a "lift pump" issue to me.But more info from you is needed!!!SeaFoam and DieselKleen...........gag me with a spoon!!!!!!! No, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!!! Please stop!!!!

No modifications just a straight up 2005 ram 2500 5.9L no changes what so ever. I didnt look for codes because no idiot lights are on. And yes you can call me dumb what is a CR?

--- Update to the previous post...

And what is a lift pump?

• Owner

Welcome to the family... :thumbup2: Does it have troubles starting cold?

The truck also acts like the cruise control is set sometimes the throttle won't back down for a good 30 seconds.

fuel filter change was the first one ever

I wonder if you have a failing injector(s)? I know this didn't help it...

I have run sea foam in the fuel as well as diesel kleen and the problem is not going away.

That might of caused more harm than good. Todays fuel systems are expected to run on this low lubricity fuel and expected to keep all the injectors and pump lubed up and working properly. Adding injectors cleaners tend to make this worse not better. But I would check for error codes and simple stuff to see if there is something simple you can replace like a sensor or a part of the fuel system.

Thanks for the welcome. No trouble starting in the cold.How do I check the codes?I freely admit I am lacking in knowledge about the workings of my truck. Please bear with me. Its something I want to learn about, so any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the best Dodge Diesel site that I have found. There are a lot of people on here with great information and they are very helpful. Any question I have had other members here have been great with help, insight and suggestions.CR means common rail, which is they type of injector pump you have. I have a VP44 injector pump, which is different than yours and different from a P7100. I do believe that you have electronic injectors.Lift pump had me confused for a long time also, until I found out that it is the fuel pump. Why call it a lift pump and not a fuel pump, I am not sure? I guess because it lifts fuel to the injection pump instead of pumping fuel to the injection pump. Hope that this helps, I do not have a common rail, but if it happened shortly after changing the fuel filter that might be a place to start.

How do I check the codes?

Welcome to the site! There are 2 ways. First you can goto your local parts store and they can do it. Usually free. Second. Turn key switch on, off, on, off, on (never starting it) look in the odometer window. write down codes (should be P...) write them down and repost them and then we can help more. It will say P done twice! Wait for it twice! Good luck!

Thanks for the great welcome and the helpful info. The problem was more gradual. I thought it just needed an oil change so I did that. The problem had started before I changed the fuel filter as well. I will try the trick for the error codes today after work.This site is really cool you guys have taught me more about my truck in a matter of hours than I have known since I bought it:thumbup2:

• Staff

How many miles on the truck?

The lack of fuel filter changes has probably cost you a set of 6 injectors. The OEM filter in 05 was 10um, and prone to injector failures. It was changed to 7um, and Bosch (manufacturer of the fuel injection system wants 5um).

I agree with dorkweek, seafoam in a diesel is a major no-no!

Check your oil level to make sure it's not rising, as a failed or failing injector can cost you an entire rebuild by burning down a cylinder, or eating the bearings with fuel in the oil.

Truth be told you best be is probably going to be to have all 6 injectors pulled and sent off for testing at a shop like DDP in Monroe, Wa.

I don't see a lift pump causing those issues. The MY05 LP was in the tank, and designed to be sucked thru in a failure, which would not effect idle or mid range operation, just peak performance would be down.

• Like 1

How many miles on the truck?

The lack of fuel filter changes has probably cost you a set of 6 injectors. The OEM filter in 05 was 10um, and prone to injector failures. It was changed to 7um, and Bosch (manufacturer of the fuel injection system wants 5um).

I agree with dorkweek, seafoam in a diesel is a major no-no!

Check your oil level to make sure it's not rising, as a failed or failing injector can cost you an entire rebuild by burning down a cylinder, or eating the bearings with fuel in the oil.

Truth be told you best be is probably going to be to have all 6 injectors pulled and sent off for testing at a shop like DDP in Monroe, Wa.

I don't see a lift pump causing those issues. The MY05 LP was in the tank, and designed to be sucked thru in a failure, which would not effect idle or mid range operation, just peak performance would be down.

I don't care to derail this thread but I would like to hear more about seafoam issues in a diesel. I'm not doubting you guys but many people in my business use it regularly and I'd like to warn them of the potential problems.

Ok this sounds like its getting complicated and expensive. There aren't any error codes. Truck has 72K miles on itThe oil level has not risen since I changed it about a month ago.The truck exhausts blue smoke when it is acting up.My fuel economy has dropped about 20%.Why doesn't it act up all the time?Why does it only act up, up to 1500 rpm after that it runs fine?How much damage am I going to do if I keep driving it? I only drive about 15 miles a day.If I need injectors how much do they cost?How hard are they to replace?Is this something I can do myself or am I going to have to get hosed at a shop?Sorry about all the questions guys. I appreciate all the info you have provided so far. THANK YOU!!!

• Staff

It does certainly sounds like injector(s) issues. They are not cheap, a full set runs about 3K plus install.It's probably sticking solenoids, and the additional pressure above 1500rpms is making them work better. This is also why it probably doesn't happen all the time. You run the change of melting a cylinder down if you drive it too much. If you are not mechanical I would not mess with it. Depending on when you bought your truck you may still have engine warranty, if they don't know about the fuel filter issue.

Out of warranty by 2k miles. Doesn't it always work that way?Are the solenoids part of the injector? Is that something that can be replaced separately? Or can I just take a hammer to them and make them unstick? (You will have to tell me where they are first)

• Owner

Good video to explain common rail injectors...

At 2:23 you'll see how the valve action purges the upper pressure and causes the injector to fire. But when a injector is wore out from debris that seat that it seals to will be pitted and will leak causing the injector to fire constantly or to hang.So like the rest have said this is where the engine damage comes from. (Picture below NOT VIDEO).post-2-138698185359_thumb.pngSo as you ran with extended filter change you were most likely passing debriss through this seat and wore it out.

I just wanted to let you guys know Moby is going to the dealership tomorrow to be checked out. The motor is still under warranty!!!! John thank you sooooo much for pointing out my oversight.I will let you know what the final verdict is on the repair.Thanks to all of you for your input and knowledge!!! Just outstanding to know I have found a place to get an education and make friends