• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How Many Are Running The Fluid Damper?

I bought one for each truck and am thinking about installing them. Before I did, I wanted to get some feedback from those who have been using them as well as intel. on the installation to help me avoid pit falls as well as things to look for. Thanks!

I bought one for each truck and am thinking about installing them. Before I did, I wanted to get some feedback from those who have been using them as well as intel. on the installation to help me avoid pit falls as well as things to look for. Thanks!

Just put mine on this week and it seems smoother than the stock balancer, then again, my stock balancer was shot. Easy install, take off drivebelt, remove four 5/8 bolts on old damper, slap the new one on using the same bolts, put the belt back on and your done. Hardest part is removing, and reinstalling the belt. If you have a helping hand it's a piece of cake, but I did mine alone and it was a hard to get back on. Make sure you position the wrench as far right as possible, I didn't and I had to lift the coolant reserve up to get my wrench off the tensioner.

How can you tell if a stock dampner is shot??

Couple of ways. Look at the damper while the truck is running. ANY wobbling it is bad. Any bulging in the rubber you should think about replacing it. If you decide to pull it to check it there are either a couple of notches that should be lined up or a couple of dimples that should be in line.

Couple of ways. Look at the damper while the truck is running. ANY wobbling it is bad. Any bulging in the rubber you should think about replacing it. If you decide to pull it to check it there are either a couple of notches that should be lined up or a couple of dimples that should be in line.

^ Exactly. Mine had ALL of the above. The Fluidampr runs smooth and has no wobble. Should also never wear out like a stock one does, since it's one solid piece. Worth the extra money if you ask me. One less thing you should ever have to deal with for the life of the truck.

• Staff

I considered a FD for a few years, just could never justify it. I recently went with a 6.7 damper, which is a viscous fluid like the FD, but 1/2 the cost and lets you change the belt without removing it. Reports are the 6.7 isn't quite as good as the FD, but about 80% as good.

I considered a FD for a few years, just could never justify it. I recently went with a 6.7 damper, which is a viscous fluid like the FD, but 1/2 the cost and lets you change the belt without removing it. Reports are the 6.7 isn't quite as good as the FD, but about 80% as good.

Are you saying you have to remove the FD to change the belt? I managed to install it by myself fairly easily, I can't see how you wouldn't be able to change the belt without removing the FD.

• 9 months later...

Due to various distractors around the farm and me being a professional procrastinator, I still have not gotten around to installing my fluid dampers just yet. By chance, has anyone on this forum installed one? If so, I have a few questions:1. Replace damper bolts with new bolts or not?2. Locktite damper bolts or not? I am reading a mixed review on the internet so far. So far, the best recommendation I have come across is anti-seize, torque to 30 ft./lbs., followed up by a 60 degree wrench arc turn of the damper bolts for proper torque and bolt stretch. 3. I am reading and getting conflicting stories on whether the serpentine belt can be replaced WITHOUT removing the fluid damper. I would think it WOULD be possible to do so buy have not first hand experience with it. As a precaution, I will replace the serpentine belt since it is the original OEM belt that came on the truck when I bought it new and is over 11 years old. A friend who installed one on his truck told me the belt can be changed without removing the damper. 4. A friend who installed one on his 99 Dodge told me he did not have to remove the fan shroud. Anyone here do it this way. I have the engine barring tool so hold the crank in place while removing and installing the fluid damper. Does anyone have any other suggestions or points to consider? Thanks!

I ran a Fliud Damper brand on my 02, reuse the OEM bolts, install them dry and torque them to the proper torque it is hard to hold the engine from turning on an auto rig, I happen to have an engine barring tool I put in the flywheel ring geat with a breaker bar to hold the engine. The bolts are a torque + turn or torque to stretch as you already know.You can easily change the belt with a FD installed on a 24v 2nd gen.It did make a big difference in making mine idle smoother with my setup with an HRVP44 and bigger injectors, mine had a mild lope at idle when hot and the FD lessened the lope.You do not need to remove the fan shroud, at least I did not.

Thanks W&F. I am looking forward to getting these installed, especially on the wife's truck. Her truck makes an awful growling almost grinding noise at low rpm in 1st gear. I am hoping this damper will help lessen that. I called my local Dodge dealer and they will have new bolts for me by the end of the week. They are $5.75 each. That is cheap insurance, so I will install the dampers with new bolts.

My 6.7 viscous damper made my engine much quieter and smoother.. I still hear gear rollover, but that's about it.

The 6.7's use something fancy? Mine is junk now (rubber is squeezed out) and I really don't see me buying a $500 fluidamper. I assume a 6.7 thing would be at least half that price?

• Staff

The 6.7's use a viscous damper. The 07.5-11's use the QSB 480 damper, which is the marine 5.9L rated at 480hp at 3400 rpms (plenty of dampening for me), the 11.5-12's use a different damper, and the rumor is the 13's will use yet another one. I don't beleive the 6.7 damper will fit any non-HPCR motor, only 03+ from what I understand. The 6.7 I am running was a little over 1/2 the FD, the HO damper is as much as the FD.

• Like 1

The 6.7's use something fancy? Mine is junk now (rubber is squeezed out) and I really don't see me buying a $500 fluidamper. I assume a 6.7 thing would be at least half that price?

Thats where Im at with em. Everybody that runs a FD speaks the world about them so they must be pretty good, but Im also taking into consideration the damper they replaced was most likely worn out which would make the FD feel that much better. My oem has lasted going on 15 years now, thats not half bad either.