• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I heard a pop when i was in the process of climbing the hill. The first time it whistled is when i first bought the truck. I figured the filter was creating a restriction, therefore i replaced it. I did notice the connection from the filter bank had been pushed into the engine compartment. It hasn't happend until now. I have heard the turbo before, but this whistle is not like the turbo sound. It's pretty hard to explain in words, but i will give it a shot. When i was growing up we used to take the bick pens and remove the end cap and ink portion. We would stuff a wad of paper into the tube and push the wad of paper and simultaneously blow at the open end of the tube. If done correctly, you can hear a whistle type sound. don't everybody try this at once:lmao:. Yes, i am serious.

That.....is.....funny. Well even with your detailed explanation, I cant really say if you're hearing a boost leak or simply the normal turbo spool but I have to say that the "pop" is not normal. Since you dont have any gauges you cant tell what your boost and EGT's are so you have nothing to compare to. But you should still check your intake rubber boots for tightness and making sure they're in place because what can happen is they come loose over time and then boost will push on just off the edge and cause a leak. Of course that will only happen when boost is at its highest so maybe that may have been the pop you heard. A boost leak may not sound like a big deal but when you have a significant boost leak, your EGT's will skyrocket and thats bad. Depending on the size of the boost leak, you may notice more than normal black smoke coming from your exhaust too.

I had my intake elbow off several months back for something, dont remember what. When I put everything back together and went for a test drive I hammerd it and it took off then POP and I lost power. I had forgattten to tighten one of the clamps and the pressur partially blew on off the boots off. It did not cme off completly and I had to hunt for it. It s possible you ruptured one and that was the pop. You could take them all off and examine them or better yet pressurize the system with air and look for a leak.I am still working on the pen trick. Thats one we never tried as kids.:think:

That sounds like a boost leak to me. On the big trucks I have heard a boost leak sound like a siren on a cop car! Anyhow, look closely at the boots for any movement and also check the boot at the inlet of the intercooler by the right inner fender. There have been quite a few that have had the boot rub and wear a hole that would only touch when the boot expanded and looked just fine otherwise.

I get funny looks with my 400+ rwhp and 30-32 psi and great EGT's :-)

I'll deduct that your drive pressures are in check by your egts. That's what tuning is all about. I'm running a TST comp, jl 8 x.010s and a smarty on my 2002, and have very little smoke.