• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well, I have a new one! Engine stays on when IGN is turned off, no boost and bucking.

I have a really different one here. Truck has been running fine recently then while driving to work yesterday the problems just began.Had to stop and pick up some things and when I turned the ignition switch off, the engine kept on running. This had happened one time before but about 2 years ago. We re-cycled the ign switch and the engine then stopped.Ok so I had no choice but to put it into 4th gear and let the clutch out. Engine then stopped and I then played with the key and ignition switch and no luck, even in the "off" position the truck had several red lights still on in the instrument panel. Went in, took care of my errands and returned in 10 minutes and the truck started right up. It had been driving fine going to this stop but now it started acting funny. Engine did not feel right and felt down on power. Got it on the road and once again down on power and noticed that it was now down on boost, with the max boost around 2-3 psi. Before this it would hit 10 psi anytime I put the throttle down so something is not right. Got the truck out on the road and finally got it up to speed but the engine was not happy. All gauges and lights were fine, just no or little boost showing on the Edge controller. Fuel pressure, water temp and volts all just fine. Got to my destination and off loaded my bags then returned to the parking lot and parked the truck. Again the engine would not shut off so I went inside to get some tools. Returned and shut it down by letting the clutch out in gear, then removed both negative battery cables to kill the power to the vehicle. At least that way I hopefully will have some power to start it and get home. I do not know if I have a bad ignition switch, bad VP, bad turbo or what in the world is going on. May even have multiple issues here but why did they occur at the same time? Will try to get the truck (and myself) back home tomorrow evening but sure could use some ideas.Thx, Joe

Thanks for the ideas. No codes showing at all but will re-check once I get home again.I have a spare new air filter in the truck, may try to change it just to make sure. I cannot figure out how all of these could be related but sure feel that something is screwy in the ign switch as well... Thx,Joe

Thanks Mike.I have the Edge w/Attitude so may be different but will check. As for "tapping the brakes" when I could not shut the truck down I had to "stand on the brakes" while letting the clutch out, so guessing that this is not the issue. Could be a setting so will check that.Thx,Joe

Simplest things first... bad ignition switch?

Either that or the wiring going to it on the bottom side of the column. Next time it does it take the wheel and tilt it all the way up and down a few times to see if that does anything. Mine did the opposite it just quit and went dead in a parking lot and it didn't take me long to figure out what happened after tilting the wheel and everything came back to life.

Well, the good news is that after I got back to the airport last night, re-connected the batteries and it was like nothing happened. No lights on with the dash and the truck started up and ran like the old days.Am thinking that I have two problems. First is a wiring/ignition switch issue and second is every filter on the truck will be changed today. Will end any question about "are the fuel filter and air filter" causing any problem by changing them and seeing how they look when I pull them. Then will take the cover off of the steering column and investigate further under there. A new switch is not that expensive (under $40 from what I can see) so may just change it anyways... Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!Joe

I bet it was the Edge. I saw that on another truck, same symptoms too. Next time it happens put the truck back to stock and see what happens. I highly doubt it is the ignition switch.

I bet it was the Edge. I saw that on another truck, same symptoms too. Next time it happens put the truck back to stock and see what happens. I highly doubt it is the ignition switch.

Boy I hope not... What all needs to be done to remove it from the system? Just unhook the two wiring plugs and take it back to the stock wiring loom? I have to say that the Edge people have been fantastic on support in the past, so will be contacting them on Monday to get their ideas... Thx, Joe

I have a really different one here. Truck has been running fine recently then while driving to work yesterday the problems just began. Had to stop and pick up some things and when I turned the ignition switch off, the engine kept on running. This had happened one time before but about 2 years ago. We re-cycled the ign switch and the engine then stopped. Ok so I had no choice but to put it into 4th gear and let the clutch out. Engine then stopped and I then played with the key and ignition switch and no luck, even in the "off" position the truck had several red lights still on in the instrument panel. Went in, took care of my errands and returned in 10 minutes and the truck started right up. It had been driving fine going to this stop but now it started acting funny. Engine did not feel right and felt down on power. Got it on the road and once again down on power and noticed that it was now down on boost, with the max boost around 2-3 psi. Before this it would hit 10 psi anytime I put the throttle down so something is not right. Got the truck out on the road and finally got it up to speed but the engine was not happy. All gauges and lights were fine, just no or little boost showing on the Edge controller. Fuel pressure, water temp and volts all just fine. Got to my destination and off loaded my bags then returned to the parking lot and parked the truck. Again the engine would not shut off so I went inside to get some tools. Returned and shut it down by letting the clutch out in gear, then removed both negative battery cables to kill the power to the vehicle. At least that way I hopefully will have some power to start it and get home. I do not know if I have a bad ignition switch, bad VP, bad turbo or what in the world is going on. May even have multiple issues here but why did they occur at the same time? Will try to get the truck (and myself) back home tomorrow evening but sure could use some ideas. Thx, Joe

How old is your edge? I have the same issue with my truck right now. When I go to turn off the vehicle, sometimes the truck will stay running and my turbo timer and egt temps are under what i have the chip set at. So I have to open the hood and unplug the chip moduel to shut the vehicle off. Does your truck idle high when you cannot turn your vehicle off? If it does, that means the chip moduel is going bad, or thats what edge told me about my chip.

How old is your edge? I have the same issue with my truck right now. When I go to turn off the vehicle, sometimes the truck will stay running and my turbo timer and egt temps are under what i have the chip set at. So I have to open the hood and unplug the chip moduel to shut the vehicle off. Does your truck idle high when you cannot turn your vehicle off? If it does, that means the chip moduel is going bad, or thats what edge told me about my chip.

Truthfully have no idea how old the Edge is, as I bought it used. It has been sent back to the factory once and would assume that if there were any mods or upgrades needed that they would do them there then. Their customer service was excellent BTW. Am now fighting a bigger battle as the Raptor just died and guessing that it took the VP with it. Happened this morning... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/5927-Well-things-just-went-from-interesting-to-much-worse-Raptor-died-VP-as-well

Boy I hope not... What all needs to be done to remove it from the system? Just unhook the two wiring plugs and take it back to the stock wiring loom? I have to say that the Edge people have been fantastic on support in the past, so will be contacting them on Monday to get their ideas... Thx, Joe

Did you try putting it back to stock?