• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

having a hard time with my 7 pin trailer box

so recently I've been towing my boat alot more since fishing season has picked up. my truck came equipped with the factory 7 pin trailer box on the hitch. I guess after many years of abuse my 7 pin has decided to crap out. In diggind around i found that on the drivers side frame rail right at where the hitch bolts on, there are 2 plugs one large square 4 pin, and a smaller flat 3 pin. the go directly to my 7 pin box. I've been searching high and low to see if i can find a new one to directly replace my factory one, but i have come up empty handed. ive tried most of my local bone yards, etrailer.com and ebay. NO luck:shrug:.i guess if i REALLY have to ill buy one and splice it in, but I'd really like one that just plugs in. Anyone have any ideas where else i might be able to get lucky??

These things are like $30 in every auto part store.

This. Every parts store here has a wall full of trailer stuff including direct plug in harnesses. Myself, I'd just get a new plug and wire in to existing wires and save a few dollars.

Looking at my truck (01.5 with trailer package), it seems the 7 pin socket plugs directly into the harness. I wanted a T tap set up like I had on my C30 to feed a socket for the gooseneck. I couldn't find one. I ended up with a extension run up through the bed wall but that plugged into the OEM trailer socket.

Curt Manufacturing (the hitch people)make a custom unit for our Dodge Ram just that purpose. The kit comes with premade harness and 7 pin box. The connectors plug into the wiring harness and the OEM plug and on the other end of a 7 foot long harness it has the 7 pin trailer box that you can mount in your bed. You unplug the harness from the OEM plug and you plug in one connector from the Curt unit into the wiring harness and then plug the other connector from the Curt unit into the OEM plug and then mount the 7 pin box in the sidewall of the bed.I see the local Dodge dealer stocks them in house and wants ~$70 for the kit.No re-wiring, cutting, splicing. You will need to drill a 2.125" hole in the sidewall of the bed to mount it.If you have the hole saw you will probably spend less than 30 minutes to hook this unit up.

I'm not going to redo it now, but that would had been a preferable system. I did clearance cut the bed liner & install the FM plug in the bed. I really liked the harness plug in on my C30... so much so that I had a duplicate system on a 1/2 ton GMC that I owned (& removed before letting the truck go).

I thought I had a solution for you, but alas I don't. This one is 98 up. (I guess the newer only has one connector. You might be able to merge your pins into the newer connector cut from the harness of a newer truck?)Dodge 56038366ABSearching that number on amazon brings up a dealer with them for $16. Getting ready to order one myself.Hag