• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

6% winding grade trepidations with 14K on the back, no EB

Not bad... Just take your time. But we do have grades out here that are posted for 16%... :whistle: That would be a bit scary without a exhaust brake.

Glad to see it worked out for you. As long as you keep it under control it is not that bad. The ebrake is nice though.

Glad to see it worked out for you. As long as you keep it under control it is not that bad. The ebrake is nice though.

I have a want for an Ebrake, but the extended warranty people will not include one in the warranty even if installed by Dodge using an approved by Dodge Ebrake. I checked with the Dodge dealer any way and they wanted $2800.00 to install one, so my itch got scratched, off the list. I've got killer trailer brakes, that will stop the entire 22k, by using just the controller in short order.

Not bad... Just take your time. But we do have grades out here that are posted for 16%... :whistle: That would be a bit scary without a exhaust brake.

Oh yeah? Well I drive my truck over cliffs with my EP (exhaust parachute).

• Staff

After having towed with an EB I don't think I would without one! At 18K lbs GCW 5th gear at 55 mph the brake cycles on a 6% grade, and runs a constant 55-57 mph on a 7% grade. 8% grades may see 60, but still holds. That's with the Jake, that many people call "weak" The fact that I can come down 6-7% grades and not touch the service brakes is HUGE!

Where is that at?

I have a want for an Ebrake, but the extended warranty people will not include one in the warranty even if installed by Dodge using an approved by Dodge Ebrake. I checked with the Dodge dealer any way and they wanted $2800.00 to install one, so my itch got scratched, off the list. I've got killer trailer brakes, that will stop the entire 22k, by using just the controller in short order.

That's BS, complete BS! The price is also double what both my dad and I paid dealerships to install our brakes.

Where is that at?

When I saw Mikes picture of 16% grade, I immediately thought of looking up from the bottom of the Grand Canyon!!!!:stuned: Most I've driven up and down is 9%, and from the cab of my truck it was steep enough!!:2cents:

I had a 96 excuse the word (Ford F350 dually 5 speed man) I fried the caliper seals two years in a row pulling my 25 foot fifth wheel. I made a 12,000 mile trip with my 06 2500 with the "oem" exhaust brake I installed, total weight just over 19,000 lbs. I went down some long steep mountains in 2nd gear with the brake on and never had to use the foot brake, the best mod I made in addition to the 45 gal transfer flow tool box combo. :)

I have been thru Bluemont when I was working in Maryland a few years back. I built 3 CFA's between Fredrick and Rockville. We used to cut thru that area going over to 81 south to get home. Pretty country up thru there, but we never made to the highway you speak. We were always a little north of the strech of road, just sight seeing.

I don't need no brakes, I'm towing a freakin billboard. The windage is incredible. There are some steep grades on the interstate (Mass Pike) with warning signs. I let up on the skinny pedal figuring to recover some of the energy from climbing the hill... NOPE!! I'm losing speed! It's like the Jolly Green Giant is holding me back. I'll tell you about going up... I was in camp with the goosneck horse trailer trying to approach my camp to load up. Had to go straight up a steep hill (45degree) from a standing start... turn between other camps down along the river. At the top of the hill, I had to hang a hard left. I neatly wheeled the CTD though the maneuver perfect. Then I noticed I'd not so neatly removed the tie down fittings from the rear stake pockets. They dented the top of the bed... the fittings had bent over completely. Pretty easy to see the trailer was still on the grade when I had to make my turn, the tie downs hit the underside of the gooseneck. D*mn!! So much for 16" of clearance...

I don't need no brakes, I'm towing a freakin billboard. The windage is incredible. There are some steep grades on the interstate (Mass Pike) with warning signs. I let up on the skinny pedal figuring to recover some of the energy from climbing the hill... NOPE!! I'm losing speed! It's like the Jolly Green Giant is holding me back. I'll tell you about going up... I was in camp with the goosneck horse trailer trying to approach my camp to load up. Had to go straight up a steep hill (45degree) from a standing start... turn between other camps down along the river. At the top of the hill, I had to hang a hard left. I neatly wheeled the CTD though the maneuver perfect. Then I noticed I'd not so neatly removed the tie down fittings from the rear stake pockets. They dented the top of the bed... the fittings had bent over completely. Pretty easy to see the trailer was still on the grade when I had to make my turn, the tie downs hit the underside of the gooseneck. D*mn!! So much for 16" of clearance...

Probably would've gotten "hung up" with one of the other diesels!!:smart: