• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Not cleaning the air filter caused turbo failure!!!

I don't know what it is here lately! I have a second 6.7 cummins in the shop in 2 weeks! This one is purely due to neglect!:mad: He doesn't change oil on a regular basis, and I don't think he has cleaned the air filter since putting a new engine in last year!. He calls me yesterday afternoon, and says hey Jason, I have a problem! I said lets hear it. He proceeds to tell me, he heard a loud pop kinda like a tire blowout and his truck is lugging black smoke. I told him to pull over and check the air to air boots, he keeps driving:mad::banghead:Finally started pumping a blue smoke and he pulls over on the side of the I55, and shuts it off. He pulled diagnostics on his mini maxx and it says low oil pressure, and I'm thinking geez you think! So he walks 2 miles to a truck stop and back with 3 gallons of Rotella. He adds oil and fires it up, and said OMG Jason my engine is running away and won't shut off with switch, so he puts in gear lugs it down and kills it! Tim, my brother, and I take off load my dually up on the rollback and set off on a 100 mile journey to get him, get there unhooks his gooseneck trailer, with a 12foot oversize building on it, load the truck and hook my dually to the trailer,mind y'all with no permit, because he says it's cheaper to pay the fine than it is to buy a permit! Pull it in the shop this morning, no oil in the engine, pull the intake side air to air boots and oil starts pouring out! Yank the intercooler off and drain better than 3 gallons of oil out of it, thinking about asking him if he wants me to strain and reuse...lol not!!! So I have everything tore down, turbo off, it's totally shot. I will post pics soon of the air filter, intercooler, air to air hoses and pipes, and turbo!

Any ideas of where the best place to get a new turbo? I need it asap, need to have truck on the road no later than Tuesday!

- - - Updated - - -

http://youtu.be/MJwmJ4RgLMw

Well as bad as I want to, I'm having to replace the engine! :banghead: it amazes me, how people will spend thousands of dollars on a truck! Then neglect it, I mean how hard is it to have your oil changed and air filter serviced on a regular basis! Ordering a reman.engine Monday, should be here Friday or Monday :screwy:! I'll let y'all know how hard it is to do the engine swap!!! Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ordered the reman engine this afternoon, they say they have a 3 day build time. So I'm looking at it being shipped out Thursday or Friday. Going to start stripping the old one out in the next day or so. Hopefully I will get the new one Friday but not expecting it till Monday! Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I don't think it's lack of a clean Air Filter that made his engine toast. It's the "Run it until it stops!" attitude. If it's not running right, pull the F*** over & give it a look see... I suppose the idiot doesn't know where the hood release is or where to put oil in anyways.I wasn't happy about it but my car, truck & wife's previous Subaru have all been moved on a roll back. Discretion is the better part of Valor.

So what happened to the engine to need to be replaced? Smoke all the bearings when he ran it out of oil? Yes a plugged air filter will fail a turbo. I have explained before to think of a vacuum cleaner to help think of how it happens. When you plug the hose on the vacuum cleaner motor speeds up due to a lack of air to pump thus creating a negative pressure because of no load anymore, the same is true with a turbo, take away its air supply caused by a dirty plugged air filter and feed it lots of hot exhaust and it overspeeds and dynamits itself.

I must live in cleaner air than you guys. I was getting 20,000 miles on an OEM air filter... and it really wasn't very dirty... but then I was running light most of the time. I guess I'd have to say it's not the mileage, it is the filter condition. I'd have to observe a used filter can't be better than it was new... quality parts...Learning all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well fellas,I finally got the new reman engine in! Have it installed and it's running like a scalded dog! I have found a great company to deal with on reman engines! The whole job wasn't too terribly bad! I just got frustrated a couple of times and said heck with it and quit working on it! Going to drive it home tonight and run a few errands with it in the morning and then putting it back in the shop to go over again. Already know I've gotta put front brakes on it.

• Staff

Unless the mini maxx disables the feature, the EVIC will tell the driver is the air filter is getting plugged. So did he ignore it? Or was the pop something else?How heavy was he towing, and on what setting?I have 18K miles on my OEM 4" filter and drive in a bit of dust, even at 100+ rwhp over stock it still doesn't budge the filter minder on a WOT run up thru 3000 rpms (just dyno'd last week).

Well fellas,I finally got the new reman engine in! Have it installed and it's running like a scalded dog! I have found a great company to deal with on reman engines! The whole job wasn't too terribly bad! I just got frustrated a couple of times and said heck with it and quit working on it! Going to drive it home tonight and run a few errands with it in the morning and then putting it back in the shop to go over again. Already know I've gotta put front brakes on it.

Who and how much ? Blackwater ?

• 2 weeks later...

At least you stayed away from South Houston Eng. Rebuilders :lmao::lmao:They sent me a worn out 7.3 and said it was a new short block, all I saw was crosshach in the cylinders and thought it was good to go. It burned so much oil I had liquid oil driping out the tail pipe. Cylinder 8 had 280psi the rest where 320 :lmao2:At least I can laugh at it now, all I could do then was cry, my shop had just open, I spent every dime I had to fix eng.