• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I am thinking of running a 100 micron or something along those line in front of my raptor pump. I am running the standard screen that they send with the pump but I think that if I run a finer filter before the raptor that if will help keep it running quieter. Do you thing that its worth wild?

• Staff

Yes thats what i did, i used a Wix #33299 which has 1/2 inch inlet/outlet. very good idea to do that.

X2 here. It helps the second filter further down the line stay cleaner. I used a type made for use on the suction side of the pump made by Racor.

Question, isint gasoline harder and more solvent like to filters? When looking at different types of filters elements i cant see a big difference in the media with my eyes and feel both are paper. So lets say a inline filter is made for gas, would diesel be easier on the media with its oily feel?

- - - Updated - - -

• Staff

The baldwin parts I mentioned are quite cheap, and effective. If you want a Racor part number I can look one up tomorrow. But personally I wouldn't want a plastic filter cap under the truck.

Good point John about the plastic cap. Although mines been under there 5 years without any problems I still think it needs a simple rock shield. I like the Racor because you can see the fuel in the bottom. I have added 1/2"shut off valves on either side of the filter and lift pump so if either one needs changing I won't get a bath of fuel. Valves help stop the tank drain back problems when changing the oem filter under the hood too.

• Staff

I have been looking at a 100 micron or less inline filter that I can run with jic fittings. I like the cleaner look of the jic fittings over the pipe thread.

Why waste your time with a rock catcher, put a real filter there and get something out of it.
  • Like 1

• Staff

I forgot......... one other advantage of the Racor is the built in pump on the filter mount block. It's really easy priming up the fuel system with that on there. It's a really good pump since it will hold pressure up till you get in and start it. My first gen's had one on there for at least 10 years, never a problem with it.Many times this hand pump on the filter has helped, not only with filling both filters after install but, will also prime the whole system, helps find fuel leaks, even helped to diagnose something wrong on the truck.Man..... I wish Cummins built the whole truck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...