• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thinking about Jake brakes.

So I was just thinking about exhaust brakes and real Jake brakes for our 5.9. It's a shame no one makes a real Jake for our trucks. The exhaust brake is a great option but a bit of an issue with us owners with autos. So I was just thinking about the 3 cylinder idle. What if a person could engage the 3 cylinder after releasing the accelerator peddle? Would it be a hybrid Jake/Exhaust brake? Would it work? Would it brake or bend things?Thoughts?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Owner

Just need a lock up controller. Like CajFlynn he HAD a exhaust brake on his 01 Dodge truck till he wore it out. As for 3 cyclinder high idle it will only engage if.Coolant temperature is below 140*FThrottle is at 0%Brakes are not applied (service brake)Intake Air Temperatrue Sensor is below +15*F Then it will engage... As for using the exhausr agains 3 cylinder high idle all you get is a truck that heats up very rapidily to 175*F and then is cancelled. Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT's) will be roughly 800-900*F (stock) my RV275's can push 1,000*F easy...

It's a shame no one makes a real Jake for our trucks.

very much - the exhaust brake is really a disappointing thing.

So I was just thinking about the 3 cylinder idle. What if a person could engage the 3 cylinder after releasing the accelerator peddle? Would it be a hybrid Jake/Exhaust brake?

wouldn't affect a thing. all 3 cyl does is kill fuel delivery, that makes the motor take more effort to idle but wouldn't affect decel at all.

...just so I understand the exhaust brake working with my auto...The exhaust brake WILL work well if the torque converter locks up (in my case, 3rd and 4th only) but will do little to nothing in 1st or 2nd as my stock trany never goes into lockup in those gears!?Correct ??Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Owner

Correct. But here is the problem you need to insure the torque converter stays locked up to get the use of the exhaust brake but the transmission will not shift down if the torque converter is locked up forcably. When you manually lock the torque convertor the transmission will shift up normally but never will down shift till you unlock the torque converter.Ask CajFlynn about his lockup controller. :smart:

Just throwing this out there but I understand Pacbrake is now making an engine brake for the 6.7. Not sure if the 5.9 will ever see one, nor if there's even any room for one.

Would definitely need a body lift on a 2nd gen for one to fit. Just sucks the valve train isn't heavy enough to handle it. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2