• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Time to change the anti freeze

Hi Guys,Have read this thread with interest. I have a 2002 Ram 3500 dually since new. I also have a 1986 F250 with the 6.9 litre IH engine since new.F250 - the antifreeze I have used all along is Prestone green - but I also use SCA's as well. I use IH recommended DCA4 and test it to ensure it is up to snuff. The antifreeze hasn't been changed annually and the engine is just fine - even though there has been problems with the 7.3 and 6.9 engines.I n the 2002 I am using STO extended life antifreeze - an orange colour. It does have the HOAT and I assume, will last the five years that they claim. For the overflow bottle I put in some new Prestone which is supposed to be good for all antifreezes.I have a couple of questions that maybe someone here can answer.1) Do any of you use SCA's in your Cummins diesels ? The Ford 6.9 and 7.3 engines had cast blocks with no renewable liners (i.e. cast cylinders in the block) and they were prone to cavitation pitting without using SCA's. Using SCA's seems to be advantageous in this respect.2) Do the new generation antifreezes tolerate SCA's well ? Are there any negative effects from these SCA'sbeing added to the coolant?Big rig trucks and all larger engines up to 30,000 hp marine diesels use real water treatment on their engines (chemical companies make big bucks) - common sense would suggest that the pickup truck engines should be treated in a similar manner.A note of interest - I had to rebuild the engine in my JD450 crawler loader - because of the cylinder liner cavitation and seal degredation. Previous owners obviousl neglected proper maintenance and I paid the price with an out of frame rebuild.Thanks

I parked my truck on the steepest nose down incline I dared and drained the coolant. Then I flushed the system with the hose until it ran clear. Back over to the steep incline and drained as much water as I could. I later parked the truck on a level surface and filled it with Shell Extended Life Coolant (ELC). It is good for 600,000 miles or 6 years I believe. In the future, I will probably do like Mike and some others and just continually change out a gallon or two at each oil change just to keep the coolant fresh and the additive package up to snuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Might have time to do a coolant change today but it's -6 celsius a little cold to flush with water.Can I just drain the old and refill with new coolant,is it real bad not to flush with water?I f I drain at the bottom of radiator do I drain the complete system,is there a drain on the engine itself?

Your right I better wait but for now I have the lower rad hose leaking a bit,it was rubbing on a turbo hose clamp so I was gonna drain the cooler for now,change the hose than refill with same coolant ,but the coolant won't drain pulled the cap off and opened the rad drain on the drivers side,is this valve a 1/4 turn to fully open?I tried blowing air in and still no coolant coming out:cookoo:

You have to turn the valve counter clock wise then pull out on it and turn some more. There is no drain on the engine, only lower radiator hose or water pump. It's best to flush it out with the hose and also back flush the heater core. I think using water from a water softener would rust bad, our house has a water softener and all the toilet hardware is rusted.

• Like 1