• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
LiveOak

Time For New Tires......considering 315/75R-16's on stock aluminum wheels

I am currently running BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO tires in size 295/75R-16. They have been great tires but they are getting a bit thin on tread. I will have to replace them in a few months. I am considering moving up to 315/75R-16's but Walmart is not carrying them and they are EXPENSIVE this time around. I have been looking at and reading up on review for the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, the Kelly TSR Safari, and Hankook Dyna Pro MT. For the folks who are running 315/75R-16's on stock rims, what tire are you running and what has your experience been with them. I realize the 315/75R-16 will rub the lower track bar arm and possibly the fender liner if turned sharp enough, the 295's I am running now do the same thing. I am off road quite a bit, and I want as tall a tire the is decent in mud as I can run without getting into a lift kit or leveling kit. Thanks in advance for your reviews and comments. :thumbup2:

Im running hankook mt's right now but they are 285x75x16's. I've liked them but i've only had them for a short time. I bought them used but they've held up good so far. I can't comment on the 315's personally but I have a couple buddies running cooper at's and they both really liked them. I think they got them on sale for around 800 bucks a set. I will probably go up to that size when mine wear out. As far as the leveling kit if you fit 295's without a lift or level I assume you would be able to fit 315's as well. I like a leveling kit so I went a 2.5 inch leveling kit I just need to fill some space with bigger tires. Good luck:thumbup2:

That's a WIDE tire for OEM rims. I personally didn't like the fact that 285/70/17's took a pressure change each time the load was changed to keep the tread flat, I can't imagine the PITA that would be on 315's. Unless you are at a constant and HEAVY weight I wouldn't consider that a good choice. Being 75's they may not be as bad, but that's still a lot of section width compared to the rim width.

The duratrac by goodyear are a little pricey but so far they have been a great tire. They do very well in the snow and. As good as could be expected in the mud for a 7k plus truck. I agree with the statement about bieng too wide but thats all personal preference.

I ran BFG 315's for awhile on the OEM aluminum wheels and liked them a lot but couldn't get them to wear flat. I'm very picky about tire pressures and tires wearing flat across the tread so I do all the tricks to get there....chalk the tread, etc etc.I needed up getting rid of them at about 25,000 miles.I am now running Goodyear Duratracs in 285 size and they wear dead flat with mileage sitting at about 70,000 miles on them right now.I have talked to and know a few people who run 315 Duratracs on stock OEM wheels and they get the same results that I am getting so the next tire purchase, real quick actually will be 315 Duratracs.The Duratrac is in my mind an awesome tire. Up here in Alberta, we get every scenario when it comes to weather and conditions and throw living on a farm into the mix and you get a good workout for a tire. I have zero complaints about them, never had a flat to date and recommend them.Jeff

ill be getting the duratracs in the 315/75/16 size here shortly been researching for weeks while funds become available. nice thing with the 315's they are 3ply sidewall, load E (i think) and good for offroading! ive heard negative things from folks running a lesser load duratrack on heavy rigs but it just makes sense. c load tires arent meant for our rigs

[C rated tires are designed for dakotas and rangers, they would be grossly overloaded and dangerous to run on these heavy trucks. When i bought my former 2000 it had 8 plys on it. They were in good shape tread wise but the front end had a wobble to it i just couldnt figure out, esp if the truck was loaded. After checking the front end out a few times and having it aligned, i finally condemned the tires and bought a set of 10 plys. It felt like a different truck, night and day difference. Ill personally never use anything else on my rig. As far as a good mud tire, ive always had better luck with a slightly narrower tread. It lets you push past the slop that gums up your treads and digs right into the hard pack. Then again, it probably all depends on the area you live in. Around here once you get past the top soil theres generally a decent layer of clay underneath. Swampy areas may be a different story.

My OEM wheels are losing the plating around the center cap & I'm thinking of new rims when I finally deep 6 the Michilins that came on it. I'm stock height wise & with my legs, getting in is not a sure thing even with the step I added. BUT, I'm wondering if I could get away with 17's which are only 1/2" higher than my 16's in the same size... without lifts or other changes. Reason I'm thinking this is the 4.10 gears which for better or worse, I'm running... but a bigger circumfrance would cut into the final ratio a bit. Thoughts?

Most 265/70/17's are within ± 0.5" of 265/75/16. Only half of that will effect you entry height, and I doubt you notice any of it on cruise rpms. The only way to drop rpm's would be to go a size larger, with a 285, in either rim height, it's about a 4% reduction in cruise rpm, and about a 0.5" gain in entry height.

Many people run take offs from 3rd and 4th gen trucks with no issues (they are 17" wheels). Ive actually been looking for a set of 4th gens for a while now but havent had any luck. Theres pros and cons to them, for starters theres not as many options for tire sizes in the 17 as the 16 inch rim. Plus they are a little more money when replacing tires. But they do handle a little better than a comparable size tire with a 16" wheel (less side wall, less roll). I think they look better also. But your not going to change the overall height unless you go to a taller tire like a 75 or even an 85 which you could do with your 16" wheels for less money. My truck had factory size tires when I bought it and I went to a 285 75 which measures around 32" iirc. So it does give you more top end gearing per say but at the expense of fuel mileage. I lost about 1 mpg by stepping up.