• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Who all does transportation, here?

Rogan

I see quite a few guys doing it in the oilfield. Lots of trips from Denver to ND or Houston to ND... But things are getting tighter at the moment and I am not sure whats going to happen in the oil biz.

I don't want to discourage you but I think driving is even worse than sitting at a desk.. You can't sit back and relax while you're driving, you have to pay attention. I mean your sitting staring at a computer or staring out a windshield.. How about we both tag team it and fix everyones trucks lol.

And I need to buy more tools!!!:duh::smart:

I swear everything on my truck is an 8 or 10 or 13mm. Maybe it was 12. I can't remember, haven't touched it in months :doh: It would make my day if someone just brought me a truck with everything under the hood completely screwed up. Better yet, take everything out from under the hood and dissect it as much as possible. Bring me the truck, bring me the pile of parts :drool:

I swear everything on my truck is an 8 or 10 or 13mm. Maybe it was 12. I can't remember, haven't touched it in months :doh: It would make my day if someone just brought me a truck with everything under the hood completely screwed up. Better yet, take everything out from under the hood and dissect it as much as possible. Bring me the truck, bring me the pile of parts :drool:

Sounds like somebody needs to start a 12V junk yard and just start rebuilding trucks, and selling them at a premium. :thumb1:

Heck I would gladly start Cummins Salvage Shop. Just everyone is still driving their trucks up here. :rolleyes: All the Duramaxes and Powerstrokes are sitting around yards. :think:

I was recently reading through the class action lawsuit that is (still) going on with the 6.o powerjokes. Ford is claiming that the 6.o made up nearly 80 percent of ALL of Fords engine related warranty issues. Ouch! I dont have any stats to back it up but from my observations in this area at least the 6.4 and 6.7 arent much better off. Only difference now is they cant point their finger at Navistar they can take all the credit for those over engineered hunks of future scrap. :broke:

Rogan, you asked if anyone does any transportation on the site, as you were thinking about a change. Maybe I can help. Go over to Baltic Dry Index.com and you will be researching ship movements from the East/West/Panama areas. Next you go over to Transportation Index.com and you'll see what is being unloaded. Right now both the BDI and TI are in bad shape. You can see local transportation in your own state, but remember, it is only local...it won't last. The BDI and TI can tell you more about the country/gov., then Wall Street ever will. If it's not produced, shipped and transported....we're dead. We're on life support right now. Don't make any sudden moves with your career at this time because the world is changing rapidly without your /my consent. Make some small/satisfying changes to your day....and hang on for a while. Love Mopar Mom

• Like 1

Yeah, somehow it went from what im entertaining to rebuilding broken trucks..:confused: Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Guess that was my fault, sorry.

Like... who (here) does transportation/shipping with their truck? Is it financially stable? Is it profitable? Is it costly? (aside from maintenance stuff) I'm tired of doing IT stuff.

Caj is the only one on this site that does it that I know of, as others have stated, though I read about several on cumminsforum. It seems to be a flakey market unless you already have your foot in the door, I think a lot of guys have filled the empty holes during the crappy economy, though I could be wrong. I think if you get enough business going (foot in the door) then it could give you a decent salary, but again, I think you gotta get a reputation going, or get on shipping wars. I'm sure there are fees and things since every state is different. Definitely a chauffers license, not sure about CDL, maybe in some states. I think the initial cost might be a bit.. I'll take IT over driving my truck, rather work on it. Maybe this will help, though getting Caj in on this would probably be better. http://voices.yahoo.com/how-succeed-hot-shot-trucking-1052889.html

Hot shots do very well here in ND for oil companies who need parts ASAP. Many many new companies have popped up doing this and are doing very well.There are many new oil and gas shale plays about to go gangbusters around the country where this sort of business would be a win win for those willing to give it a go.

• Like 1

• Owner

Rogan from another stand-point. I use to do the computer tech support and computer building till about 08 or 09 when the fuel price took off through the roof. I was losing more money on warranty work and support calls. So I finally dropped away from the computer tech work and switch over to automotive work and web site management because in either case the work came to me and I could work from home then. This sliced off a huge expense and put it back in my pocket. My last conversation just a few days with CajFlynn he said he's really busy. You might try contacting him and see what he's got to say. Lot's of long hours of driving and large expensive boats going cross country.

On my yearly NoDak hunting trip; both driving up and back, I saw lots of motorhomes being driven up to western NoDak where the oil is booming...........similar to the flow of motorhomes that got towed to the gulf after Katrina. They can't build homes fast enough out there. Don't know if you could get into something like that. Don't know how long it'll last either until they catch up with permanent housing. Don't know if you'd want to do for long if'n you have a wife and/or kids and/or pets.:2cents::smart: