• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CB radio

I don't have one in my truck. I used to install electronics not only in boats but also emergency vehicles, (Police, Fire, Rescue), school busses, fleet vehicles. There are antenna mounts available that screw under the hood through the edge so there are no holes visible. They are probably the best. I've seen antennas bed mounted & headache rack mounted which work. Cables can be run under the cab or through the back window. I don't like overhead radio mounting though we often installed add on speakers overhead or in the back of our service trucks. I just don't like swinging mike cords & it was hard to run concealed wiring.My service van/mobile work shop, was a GMC & I had my land mobile mounted to the driver's bucket seat base with mic beside it. That won't work with our trucks though. I'd look to see if I could mount in front of the drivers seat to the right, or in the cup holder cut out or the drivers knee panel (I have my trailer brake mounted on the left knee panel... I'd mount a CB on the right.) We often us hand helds when traveling... I use my cup holder or the rubber boot around the 4WD stick. Another idea would be the add on cup holders &'ve seen at Genos that slip under the front seat back when folded forward.

The small form factored CBs are great for installing in vehicles with few and small spaces to mount. If you was a full-sized radio, you can't go wrong with a Cobra 29 LTD Classic. They're very tunable, and with a good antenna, they can really 'talk'. As for antennas, K40 and Wilson are among the top contenders.

The small form factored CBs are great for installing in vehicles with few and small spaces to mount. If you was a full-sized radio, you can't go wrong with a Cobra 29 LTD Classic. They're very tunable, and with a good antenna, they can really 'talk'. As for antennas, K40 and Wilson are among the top contenders.

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm basically looking for a good alternative to a cell phone cause to be honest I don't have one. LOL. But I do want a good radio without the monthly contract of a smart phone. Luke

What Rogan said. I have a 29 LTD chrome but a classic would be great too. I have a K40 top loaded antenna and I have great communication with the combo. Its hard to go wrong with cobra products. As for the mount location, I have a 6 speed so I had that little pocket in the lower dash above the gear shift. I took that pocket section out and fabricated a flat piece of metal to mount the same exact way the pocket did and I mounted my CB to that. I made myself a stainless bracket for the antenna and mounted it with the middle fender bolt.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Im a little interested, what are you guys using these for (other than possible entertainment)? As stated above, I didnt think they were very common anymore with the big technology wave. Does the highwaypatrol or the sherriff still monitor cb channels? Is there an emergency channel you can tune to if your up sh*ts creek? What are some other uses? Youve got me interested now!

How far will CB's reach these day's? Back in the day 72-77:ashamed: we could talk 10-15 miles on a good day.

Nowadays, there much more crap in the radio waves, but you cab still talk a good ways. I've got a base radio and have talked skip to Nebraska from Virginia, with no linear and just an omni-directional antenna. I've talked about 15-18mi recently on my 148GTL and 100w linear in the truck with a Wilson 1000. Also, Virginia state police still monitor 9, as well as most of the county sheriff cruisers Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I made a cb mount today, using a sheet of 1/8" diamond plate aluminum. I made a simple "L" shaped bracket that mounts underneath center seat cushion. I made a simple break press with 2*4s to bend it. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4743&d=1354475712 I mounted the radio to the right so I have room to mount my snow plow controller on the left. Not bad for $10 Home Depot piece of metal and about 45min fab time. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2 [ATTACH]4743[/ATTACH]

post-10339-138698194573_thumb.jpg