• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transfer Case

Hey guys, my daughter has had an "issue" with her transfer case. She has a '98 12v auto. The front driveshaft fell out hit the road and cracked both halves. Anyhow, I am looking for the least expensive way to repair it. All I need are the two case halves, but can't locate the front half. Either that or I could replace the whole thing but the core is not acceptable to a rebuilder so that is out. I have also read that her DLD could be replaced with a DHD and just swap a couple of parts and it is a bolt on. Anybody know of a place for parts or another t-case or another way to get this truck back on the road?

I am not sure, but the transfer case should be interchangable with other makes such as Fords and Chevys. The one thing is to make sure you get the correct one for your daughters transmission. Autos and sticks will use different input shafts, but since you have the old one that should not be that much of a concern. I would look at junk yards, you should be able to find a DHD along with all the hardware to install it. Good luck with it, Jon.

I am not sure, but the transfer case should be interchangable with other makes such as Fords and Chevys.

Naw, not quite. The 241C(Chevy) is the same as the 241D(Dodge), EXCEPT for where the t-case bolts on to the transmission. They will bolt up but the Chevy case will be turned 90* and I don't think that would be a good idea..........:lol:

Have you checked salvage yards? Its too bad you don't have any Inland Truck Parts and service stores in your area. Wouldn't be a bad idea to give them a call as they specialize in all drivetrain components no matter what the application. I used to work at the Bismarck store for a few years. Wouldn't be too bad to have parts shipped as they are fairly light. http://www.inlandtruck.com/products/transfercase.php

I've seen the 241s fairly cheap ($200-400 range).. I don't know how much the cases are, but if you factor in disassembly/reassembly time, it may be a cheaper alternative..As for the DLD/DHD swap, I "Think" that the rear output section is the difference, as far as using the existing rear driveshaft. Not 100% sure, though.

I've seen the 241s fairly cheap ($200-400 range).. I don't know how much the cases are, but if you factor in disassembly/reassembly time, it may be a cheaper alternative.. As for the DLD/DHD swap, I "Think" that the rear output section is the difference, as far as using the existing rear driveshaft. Not 100% sure, though.

I have been told that the rear is what needs to be changed because the output shaft from the DLD is smaller than the output shaft of the DHD. I found case halves for just under $500, so if you can tell me where there is one for $200-$400 I am sure my daughter would really appreciate it!

I've been doing a ton of research on this, as I need to tear down and possibly rebuild my 241 DHD. I do know the input spline count on a 241 is different depending on whether it's a manual or auto...the manual has a 29 spline input, where I want to say the input spline for an auto is 23 spline. The DHD has two different spline counts, and two different output shaft sizes...Mine, with the two piece tailhousing, has a 32 spline output shaft, and according to my calipers, the shaft itself before the splines measures 1.3 inches, and the splines themselves measure 1.4 inches...I'm not sure what the size of the 31 spline DHD is, but I believe the 31 spline output shaft DHD has a one piece tailhousing. You can adapt the tcase to fit from auto to manual, by changing out the input shaft on the tcase-not sure how involved it is, but I know it's possible.Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, or add to the details, but that's what I came up with after about 4 hours of research last night...

my question is (to learn of a flaw) how did the ds fall off? something we need to watch out for?

I am not 100% positive, but when I saw the truck one cap from the differential side was missing so I am thinking that either the clip broke or rusted out and it threw the cap. It was good until she took it out of 4wd (judging by the lack of damage from the driveshaft not flopping around) and it fell out during the last three miles home.
Thank you! I will pass the info on!