• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

rebuilding NV 4500

So I am rebuilding my NV 4500 out of my 99 dodge cummis. I found a little plastic piece next to my Main shaft Rear Thrust Bearing. I don't know what it is, every thing I look at doesn't show it. This is the first time I have rebuilt one of these so Im a little lost can any one help me.Daniel

No think it is the plastic form the Main shaft Pilot Bearing. I think it must have just gotten so hot it melted it all down and let it move some place else. Wow some one really screwed this trans up. Forth gear and got so hot that there was metal transfer from one to the other.

No think it is the plastic form the Main shaft Pilot Bearing. I think it must have just gotten so hot it melted it all down and let it move some place else. Wow some one really screwed this trans up. Forth gear and got so hot that there was metal transfer from one to the other.

This is the most common reason why manual trannys fail and why if you tow or pull heavy a tranny temp gauge is far more important to have on a manual tranny than an auto tranny. When I worked at Inland Truck Parts and Service years back I talked many customers into adding temp gauges on manual trannies and everyone who tows heavy came back with eyes wide open as to how hot they get when towing in 5th or 6th if a 5600. You would be amazed at how many Cummins rigs came into the shop with the input gear totally melted and either stripped the gears off the shaft or melted and broke the shaft frm extreme temps and the bearing would be welded together and either locked up or gone completely. We had one customer with a 99 dually and he pulled a 40 foot gooseneck trailer and hauled a Case 580K FWA backhoe loader and an 1845 Case skid steer on it everyday, IIRC he grossed well over 40K lbs and he had to put a new clutch and input in every 6 months if not more.

This is the most common reason why manual trannys fail and why if you tow or pull heavy a tranny temp gauge is far more important to have on a manual tranny than an auto tranny. When I worked at Inland Truck Parts and Service years back I talked many customers into adding temp gauges on manual trannies and everyone who tows heavy came back with eyes wide open as to how hot they get when towing in 5th or 6th if a 5600. You would be amazed at how many Cummins rigs came into the shop with the input gear totally melted and either stripped the gears off the shaft or melted and broke the shaft frm extreme temps and the bearing would be welded together and either locked up or gone completely. We had one customer with a 99 dually and he pulled a 40 foot gooseneck trailer and hauled a Case 580K FWA backhoe loader and an 1845 Case skid steer on it everyday, IIRC he grossed well over 40K lbs and he had to put a new clutch and input in every 6 months if not more.

Sounds to me like its time for him to get a bigger truck

My edge has a temp sender on the trans. I don't pull very heavy so I don't usually watch it. What is the max temp to stay under?

Try to keep it under 250 at max. 250 is already very hot but other than breaking down the oil faster you are not doing tranny damage yet anything over that for any lenth of time starts to make things go bad.
  • Like 1

I don't know that I would run a manual trans at 250 degrees unless I was running synthetic oil in and even then I be looking for a way to cool it down. I have a switchable temp guage on my trans/rear axle and hauling my 10.5' camper and 19' cuddy cabin IO Boat I only see temps of 190-195 at 60-65mph during the summer. I also have trans coolers and 3 extra quarts of Amsoil synthetic trans lube. 250 degrees is out side the normal operating range of most gear lubes and I would think you would start seeing serious thermal breakdown over about 220.

I don't know what New Venture's max operating spec is, but Eaton's is 250˚ and I would hit 240˚ all the time in hot summer weather towing heavy with my 13sp. The double OD really built heat.It's going to be interesting to compare G56 temperatures. I bet it'll cool down a lot faster when I stop...