• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hello all the other day i helped my Uncle Haul some hay on his farm. We used our truck's and Gooseneck trailer's here's some info His2001 Dodge ext. cab LB DRW 4x45.9 SO stock down to air filter5 spd with 4.10 gear'sFass 150 GPH ISSPRO Boost, EGT, Fuel pressure4 inch turbo back stright piped to 5 inch tipMine 2001 Dodge ext. cab LB DRW 4x45.9 HO 6 spd with 3.55 gear'sBHAF, Bank's Big Head wastegate, Aftermarket air intake horn, Bank's ottomind programmer(Junk lol) 150:1 2 cyl oil mixFass 150 GPH ISSPRO Boost, EGT, Fuel pressure4 inch turbo back stright piped to 6 inch tip(To note I am have a serious APPS issue which i hope to fix real soon)We were both hauling 14 1,300 pd roll's on the same type gooseneck trailer's 40 ft' flatdeck's dual tandem axel's. I drove both trucks cause he wanted to try a 6spd and i wanted to try his 5spd. We went a total of 10 mile's one way up long hill's down long not step grade hill's at a speed around 55+/- the whole trip.When i drove mine I knew the trailer was there up hill's but done great overall averaged around 30 pd's of boost at top of 5th gear at 900F EGT had no smoke at all was happy with performance...or so i thought when i drove his......Wow alot more power and smoke. Not smoke out a 4 lane highway but pretty good for a stock truck. It had alot more umpff off the line and got up to speed quicker his turned a few more RPM's in 5th and only around 24pd's max boost in 5th with around 975-1050F EGT's on flat ground but his did use more fuel overall (since on the long down hill's i could coast in 6th all the way down at around 1800RPM's while his held around 2300. I mean i have a truck with 4.11 gear's and they do wonder's but it's like night and day here. Why? Look forward to input's Here's a pic of my Tow rig hope it show's up

post-12444-138698198229_thumb.jpg

Difference between 3.54s and 4.10s at ~50-60mph is approximately 300rpm..In 1st gear, the 6spd is just a hair lower in gearing (.02). the 6 spd's 2nd gear is also lower (.34), 3rd is also lower (.37). 4th is lower by .39. The 5600's 5th gear is the same as the 5 speed's 4th gear (1.00). The 5speeds' 5th gear is just a hair lower than the 6 spd's 6th gear, by .02 (.75 vs .73).

It's really hard to compare apples to apples with his 5 spd and 4.10s, to your 6 spd and 3.54s, as that changes the gearing, yet again. If anything, yours should buzz along at highway speeds much smoother than his and with lower rpms, but his should have more grunt. on the bottom end.

Don't forget the power/torque difference to factor in with the SO vs HO.

I personally prefer the 6spd in towing heavy in hilly conditions, due to the tighter spacing between gears. I feel the 5 speeds "gap" between 3 and 4 is too far when towing rurally.

NV4500HD Specs:

[*]Manufactured by New Venture Gear

[*] Synchronizers: Carbon fiber composite

[*]Input shaft: 1-1/8" 10 spline (V8 version - order code DDP)

[*]Input shaft: 1-1/4" 10 spline (Diesel, V10 version - order code DDX)

[*]4x4 Output shaft: 1-1/2" 29 spline

[*] Input torque rating: 460 ft-lb

[*]Max GVWR: 16,000 lb

[*]Max GCVWR: 21,000 lb

[*] Cast Iron Case, Weight (with oil): 250 pounds

[*] Fluid Capacity: 8.5 pints

[*]Fill level is to the bottom edge of the fill plug hole.

[*] These are the ONLY lubricants recommended for the NV4500:

[*]75W-90 Castrol Syntorque Synthetic

[*]Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant (PN 4637579)

[*]GM Transmission oil (PN 12346191)

[*]NOTE: Syntorque is NOT the same as Castrol Syntech.

[*]Drain Plug P/N: 4882280

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 125]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Gear Ratio

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center] 1st[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5.61

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center] 2nd[/TD]

[TD=align: center]3.04[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center] 3rd[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1.67

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center] 4th

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center] 5th[/TD]

[TD=align: center]0.75[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center] R[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5.61*[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

*Around the 1998 model year, the reverse gear ratio was changed from 5.61 to 5.04. The pre-98 reverse gear on the main shaft has a diameter of 6-5/8" with 39 teeth; the later gear has a diameter of 6" with 35 teeth.

NV5600

[*]Introduced in the 1999 model year - few were built before the 2001 MY.

[*]Option code DEE

[*]Manufactured by New Venture Gear

[*]Input Shaft: 1-3/8" 10 spline (after Aug 99)

[*]4x4 Output Shaft: 1-1/2" 29 spline

[*]Input torque rating 550 ft-lb

[*]GVWR: 16,000 lb

[*]GCVWR: 26, 000 lb

[*]Cast Iron case, weight = 360 lb

[*] Fluid Capacity: 9 1/2 pints

[*]Texaco Code 1874 MTX

[*]Mopar 4761526

[*]Dodge spec MS-9224 oil*

[*]Fill port: on driver's side, requires a 17mm Hex wrench

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 125]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFCC99]Gear Ratio

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1st[/TD]

[TD]5.63[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 2nd[/TD]

[TD]3.38[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 3rd[/TD]

[TD]2.04

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 4th[/TD]

[TD]1.39

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 5th[/TD]

[TD]1.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 6th[/TD]

[TD]0.73[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] R[/TD]

[TD]5.63[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• Like 1

I hear ya i love my 6spd wouldn't trade for any 5spd when it come's to DD and hauling. But when i said stock that's his word for it as he bought the truck 4 year's ago from a kid near my area and the smoke is probaly from the the fact the man does 0 maintenice to it and i mean 0 :banghead: only maintence he's done was he replaced the rusted Nerf bars this christmas :doh:. In 4 year's and around 35ish k mile's of either hauling hay or cattle he's done No oil change, No oil Filter change, No fuel filter change, No water sep filter change not even washed it in all that time. If it wasn't for me draining the water sep and adding oil on sunday's when i go over it might not have made it this long....I'm really tryin' to talk him into selling me the truck to save it from his torture :pray: But i'm gonna ask the previous owner on what he done to the truck as far as addon's go cause there's no way it's stock.

My automatic truck is in my signature. It tows much better with the XZT. I'm happy until I get to the highway... I don't care for the screaming engine at highway speeds... I end up kicking in OD when I can (I know not recommended) mostly flat or down grade. I didn't need the 4.10s & it costs me at the fuel pump. Bigger rubber would cut the effective ratio but with my legs as they are, I can barely get in now if I plan just right.

I wonder how a stock auto would do in this comparison?

Not very well :surrender: the slipping in the torque converter translates to less power to the ground and more fuel out the tail pipe. If it were a 5 sp or 6 sp auto the extra gears would make a substantial difference, but the 4 speed autos are at a disadvantage compared to the manual shifts. My auto was built by a man who specializes in transmissions for high horsepower pulling trucks and with the custom torque converters he builds its good enough I can live with it. When the trans went in my 2000 I was looking hard into buying a 4500 to replace it. But after riding in a few trucks he had built and talking to him on prices going with a rebuild was the way to go for me. Everyone who rides in my truck is quite impressed Ive actually sent 4 people to Dean for trans work, and all but one didnt even need it.

Thanks. Also during the vp44 period the auto setups were available w less HP. Was that because the auto lost it or was it to protect the 47RE?Tanks again,DaveBTW, I would have rather had a 5 or 6sp, but the manual trucks I was considering were at least 5 grand more.

the man does 0 maintenice to it and i mean 0 :banghead: only maintence he's done was he replaced the rusted Nerf bars this christmas :doh:. In 4 year's and around 35ish k mile's of either hauling hay or cattle he's done No oil change, No oil Filter change, No fuel filter change, No water sep filter change not even washed it in all that time.

35k and no oil or filter change?? :cookoo:

• Owner

Thanks. Also during the vp44 period the auto setups were available w less HP. Was that because the auto lost it or was it to protect the 47RE? Tanks again, Dave BTW, I would have rather had a 5 or 6sp, but the manual trucks I was considering were at least 5 grand more.

Protect the 47RE... Even look at the tow weight limits... post-2-138698198562_thumb.jpg The 5 or 6 speed manual were allowed much more weight.

Yep, in agreement there. In the new trucks, the auto is now rated higher if I read the stats correctly.I don't think I have enough toys to overload my truck. The most weight I get on it would be 150 of the small square hay bales w a 16 ft trailer.Dave

I think the reason you "noticed" the load was because of the 3:55 gears. The difference between the 2 gear sets may only be 300rpm, but you must remember the "TORQUE"!!!!! The 4:10's have much more easily gettable torque at lower rpm's than the 3:55's. I don't remember how much off hand, but AH64IUD posted it a while back..........20-30% maybe IIRC.:shrug:1st, 4th, and 5th are the same ratios as 1st, 5th, and 6th between the trannies. New Ventures added a gear in the NV5600 so that there wasn't such a large rpm drop off between the other gears whilst towing big loads. The difference you noticed was in the rear IMNTBHO!!

35k and no oil or filter change?? :cookoo:

Haha :banghead: yeah i am dead serious he won't touch it at all until something brake's or falls off which is why i want to buy it ASAP..

- - - Updated - - -

Also (i'm not sure how to do the update part on my Orignal post) I spoke with the org owner today after work and beside the fact my Uncle got a awesome deal... But the truck is not stock. It has a Industrial Diesel Hot rod Inj pump, a set of 75HP nozzel's, Bigger connecting tube's along with bigger injector line's he wasn't sure of the last two item's brand i do know the inj line's are blue in color. But he did remove the Edge and the CAI before my uncle bought it for his other truck. Which now i see why it smoked more and had alot more get up and go then mine beside the 4.10. But thank's all for the info and Thanks for the compliment's on the truck :thumb1: Now if i could only find a good 12 valve to drop in my 74 D300 behind it....:thumbup2:

• 2 weeks later...