• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Should I?? 6.7 L?

HiI own a 03 5.9 HO 4x4 and LOVE IT. I have an opportunity to possible get a new truck this summer or fall. Wont go into how and why but will be able to get a new truck.Question:Should I go with the 6.7, or should I just go gas. I know this is diesel place..haha I love my 5.9L (this is my second one). Just without having any peddle time on the 6.7 I thought I would throw it out there.Here we gooooo..haha

Have never driven in a 6.7, seems alot of people like them. I looked at upgrading a while back and started asking and reading. One thing I saw was that most people running them said rip off the emissions crap and run delete kits and it will be a good truck and work much better, less problems. Then I read the USA emissions regulators cracked down on companies selling delete kits, handing out hefty fines to them and making them stop making kits. IMO, that looks like the beginning of them really going aboard the emissions issue and eventually starting to clamp down on people running these kits. What happens in the good ol USA, eventually migrates here to Canada so I decided to stick with my 2nd Gen. Gas vs diesel...IDK. I talk to alot of guys I work with running Hemi's getting 18-21mpg highway they claim (not hauling). If you don't haul often is the extra cost of diesel really worth it ? I often wonder

New-New I am probably going to keep the old 5.9L it only has 170k on it and still get a new truck. I don't tow much, I had plowed with the other truck but might not with this one, but not sure. I do live on a farm but don't really do alot with trailers etc alot, but sometimes. Again won't go into it but I am able to get a new truck at little cost to me so thats why I am purchasing new. Any info would help. I do want half decent power and mpg's.

Are you talking new new, or new to you?

• Staff

2013 2500's are starting to go from rare to scarce, but the 3500's are still just rumored :-)Unlike the last 15 years there are BIG differences in a 2500 and 3500, so additional research is a good idea so you know what you are getting. Personally I wouldn't be scared of a 6.7 anymore, it's the 07.5's that had issues.

My 6.7 is a 2007.5. Runs fine with 184k miles. My 2001 was a 53 block. That was supposed to be junk too. 1.2 million miles later I'm still waiting for it to crack. I don't buy too much into what other people say because I doubt most of them have any idea what they are talking about. I waited on the 6.7 because I wanted to see if they would last as long as the 5.9. There are lots of high mileage 6.7's now so I felt safe getting one.

• Owner

I've got a local guy here that has a new 6.7L as well and he's not too happy with it being the 6.7L only getting barely 12-13 MPG driving locally here in the canyon. No problems to report as of yet but he want to do the delete as well.Personally I see the 6.7L like the going from the age of muscle cars to 80's of unleaded and catalytic converters. Now we come two full circles in vehicles. I plan on holding on to my 2002 for a very long time like I did for the 1973 Dodge Charger which I sold last year.

• Staff

The 2007.5's were the worst of the 6.7's, the original software didn't like daily driving and it caused issues on those trucks for years. The software has since been fixed, but there are enough instances of lasting faults/damage that a used 07.5 is probably not worth it. People that used it with a heavy load generally didn't have any issues.

I've seen here in the local dealer market that the advertised price for used 6.7s are not getting the same advertised price as the 5.9s. The '07 and '08 6.7 can be picked up for less money than a good '07 in 5.9.Now I don't really know what people end of paying but it would appear that people are asking for the 5.9 before they are asking for the earlier 6.7.

The OP asked if he should get a 6.7. As an actual owner of a 6.7 and an owner of a 5.9, I can tell you I prefer the 6.7. The #1 reason I prefer it is that the exhaust brake works great with the automatic transmission. #2 The automatic transmission has an extra gear over the 48re. #3. The 6.7 gets better mileage than my 05 or 06 when towing.The 2007.5 had soot problems that caused issues with the turbo and dpf. These issues were fixed a long time ago. As a comparison, a second gen has vp44 problems that have never been solved, the 47re is junk and some people love these trucks. The 06 and 07 5.9 are prone to catastrophic failures. Wrist pins, melted pistons, whatever. These motors melt down without warning in unmodified trucks and there are some people who think these are the greatest trucks ever made. The truth is each year truck has some challenges. Some of these challenges we deal with. Some we call Mike for and others we post about. These challenges are probably the main reason each of us found this site. As I see it, the OP want's to know if a newer truck will be easier to live with than his older one. Will it get better mileage, will it make him jump higher, or will it make him more attractive to women. The answers are pretty clear. The 6.7 gets better mileage when everything is deleted. It is unlikely he will delete a brand new truck so the mileage will suffer.The new truck will have a newer suspension and tires so he may jump higher and it is a known fact that women love new diesel trucks so they will definitely find him more attractive.

• Like 2

• Staff

I've seen here in the local dealer market that the advertised price for used 6.7s are not getting the same advertised price as the 5.9s. The '07 and '08 6.7 can be picked up for less money than a good '07 in 5.9. Now I don't really know what people end of paying but it would appear that people are asking for the 5.9 before they are asking for the earlier 6.7.

Absolutely, it's amazing how much people prefer a 3rd gen with a 5.9 over a 6.7. I still get several letters a year from multiple dealerships wanting my 05 5.9.

The OP asked if he should get a 6.7. As an actual owner of a 6.7 and an owner of a 5.9, I can tell you I prefer the 6.7. The #1 reason I prefer it is that the exhaust brake works great with the automatic transmission. #2 The automatic transmission has an extra gear over the 48re. #3. The 6.7 gets better mileage than my 05 or 06 when towing. The 2007.5 had soot problems that caused issues with the turbo and dpf. These issues were fixed a long time ago. As a comparison, a second gen has vp44 problems that have never been solved, the 47re is junk and some people love these trucks. The 06 and 07 5.9 are prone to catastrophic failures. Wrist pins, melted pistons, whatever. These motors melt down without warning in unmodified trucks and there are some people who think these are the greatest trucks ever made. The truth is each year truck has some challenges. Some of these challenges we deal with. Some we call Mike for and others we post about. These challenges are probably the main reason each of us found this site. As I see it, the OP want's to know if a newer truck will be easier to live with than his older one. Will it get better mileage, will it make him jump higher, or will it make him more attractive to women. The answers are pretty clear. The 6.7 gets better mileage when everything is deleted. It is unlikely he will delete a brand new truck so the mileage will suffer. The new truck will have a newer suspension and tires so he may jump higher and it is a known fact that women love new diesel trucks so they will definitely find him more attractive.

All good points; however, the soot problems may have been corrected with software but some of those trucks had soot issues from latent soot long after the software upgrades. When I was helping some friends shop for trucks a couple years back if the the 6.7 was a 07.5 or early 08 they all had been thru multiple turbo's and even recent ones long after the software upgrades. The 68RFE is a great addition (and actually has 2 extra gears), and the OEM exhaust brake is also a great tool for towing. Yes the VP44 has issues, but it's hard to blame Cummins when a large percentage of it's issues are based on a fuel standard that changed 5 years after the VP44 was phased out. For 500ppm fuel and 1998 technology the VP is a good pump. The '13 6.7 should be the best 6.7 yet, better mileage, torque, and if you get a 3500 you get the new suspension/frame/auto. Based on recent changes from the tuners a deleted '13 may not happen for a long time. Based on the 6.7's and 5.9's I have been around in my power range I will keep my 5.9, but the bone stock 6.7 is a great setup in a 4th gen and for the reasons you mentioned a stock 6.7 auto is much better than a stock 5.9 auto.

• Staff

Dave Smith in Coeur D'lane, Id; Larry Miller in Boise, Id; and Peterson in Nampa, Id are the main three that ask for used 5.9's several times a year if you want to ditch it.

If I could keep my drivetrain with a 4th gen body I would be sold!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha.. just opened my mail from yesterday and there was another one. This is the most bland looking one yet, and I am sure it's 80% marketing but I have never had this happen with any other vehicle I have owned.

Dave Smith in Coeur D'lane, Id; Larry Miller in Boise, Id; and Peterson in Nampa, Id are the main three that ask for used 5.9's several times a year if you want to ditch it.

If I could keep my drivetrain with a 4th gen body I would be sold!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha.. just opened my mail from yesterday and there was another one. This is the most bland looking one yet, and I am sure it's 80% marketing but I have never had this happen with any other vehicle I have owned.

Dealers around here do the same thing, I still get letters wanting my 02.

Now I have been getting them for my 2010 Hemi. Just a mass marketing plan to get you into a new rig, not so much after your trade in.:2cents:

Get lots of them wanting my TDI Jetta, pretty much any vehicle we have owned in the last 10 years are supposedly sought after. :rolleyes:

I will stick with my 05 for a while too, 50-60K for a pickup is just flat out crazy in any world, I only paid 67K for my house/shop and 2 acres 15 years ago probably worth close to 200k now in our local booming economy in ND.

The OP asked if he should get a 6.7. As an actual owner of a 6.7 and an owner of a 5.9, I can tell you I prefer the 6.7. The #1 reason I prefer it is that the exhaust brake works great with the automatic transmission. #2 The automatic transmission has an extra gear over the 48re. #3. The 6.7 gets better mileage than my 05 or 06 when towing.

The 2007.5 had soot problems that caused issues with the turbo and dpf. These issues were fixed a long time ago. As a comparison, a second gen has vp44 problems that have never been solved, the 47re is junk and some people love these trucks. The 06 and 07 5.9 are prone to catastrophic failures. Wrist pins, melted pistons, whatever. These motors melt down without warning in unmodified trucks and there are some people who think these are the greatest trucks ever made.

The truth is each year truck has some challenges. Some of these challenges we deal with. Some we call Mike for and others we post about. These challenges are probably the main reason each of us found this site.

As I see it, the OP want's to know if a newer truck will be easier to live with than his older one. Will it get better mileage, will it make him jump higher, or will it make him more attractive to women. The answers are pretty clear.

The 6.7 gets better mileage when everything is deleted. It is unlikely he will delete a brand new truck so the mileage will suffer.

The new truck will have a newer suspension and tires so he may jump higher and it is a known fact that women love new diesel trucks so they will definitely find him more attractive.

Awesome post!!! I love it!!!

Well I will see what happens. If I can get the diesel for the same price as the gasser then who am I to go petro...

I will keep the 5.9 and spritz it up more and have fun with it too..thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone. The ole 5.9 is not starting as of today. Might be thinking new soon..haha

The OP asked if he should get a 6.7. As an actual owner of a 6.7 and an owner of a 5.9, I can tell you I prefer the 6.7. The #1 reason I prefer it is that the exhaust brake works great with the automatic transmission. #2 The automatic transmission has an extra gear over the 48re. #3. The 6.7 gets better mileage than my 05 or 06 when towing. The 2007.5 had soot problems that caused issues with the turbo and dpf. These issues were fixed a long time ago. As a comparison, a second gen has vp44 problems that have never been solved, the 47re is junk and some people love these trucks. The 06 and 07 5.9 are prone to catastrophic failures. Wrist pins, melted pistons, whatever. These motors melt down without warning in unmodified trucks and there are some people who think these are the greatest trucks ever made. The truth is each year truck has some challenges. Some of these challenges we deal with. Some we call Mike for and others we post about. These challenges are probably the main reason each of us found this site. As I see it, the OP want's to know if a newer truck will be easier to live with than his older one. Will it get better mileage, will it make him jump higher, or will it make him more attractive to women. The answers are pretty clear. The 6.7 gets better mileage when everything is deleted. It is unlikely he will delete a brand new truck so the mileage will suffer. The new truck will have a newer suspension and tires so he may jump higher and it is a known fact that women love new diesel trucks so they will definitely find him more attractive.

Over the weekend i got the chance to drive a 2007.5 dodge 3500 2wd with 99k mile's with the 6.7. I was surprised at how quite the the motor was compared the the 06 comman rail i did own and the 01 Cummins i now own. Power wise it was a beast lot's of low end torque. What surprised me was it was a ky Road dept. truck owned by a DOT officer and it had the muffler, cat and DPF, EGR delete and a H&S programmer....:think: also it blew alot of smoke at WOT blacked out a 4 lane highway :cool: But the only issue I had was the trans which had no idea what gear it wanted to be in until i used Tow/Haul then it really firmed up and knew it's role. If it weren't for the new rule the bank are forceing around here only giving out 1 auto loan at a time. had the down payment, trade in, and a great credit score/history but they wouldn't give me the loan gotta wait 380 day's till i pay off my 01 Cummins to buy my 3rd Cummin's(Still keeping the 2nd.