• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have not done a dodge, but its pretty simple. You may want to get new hardware, usually recomend new U bolts but I have reused them. You may have to cut the bolts that go in the bushings they like to rust into the sleeve inside the bushing. Just put it on jack stands and put floor jack under the diff. to be able to move it.

• Like 1

I bought a Heliwig 2500 lb overload set up for my GMC, and it works great loaded, but you need a kidney belt when empty.Mine are cinched down pretty tight, and I think if I backed them off a bit it would improve the empty ride quality:2cents:

Actually not planning to add a leaf. But was curious what was involved.Essentially the leafs are under load - so if you jack the track up ....... remove the shock bushing and shock ... and then remove the ubolts ...... what prevents all hell from braking loose ?:think:

Actually not planning to add a leaf. But was curious what was involved. Essentially the leafs are under load - so if you jack the track up ....... remove the shock bushing and shock ... and then remove the ubolts ...... what prevents all hell from braking loose ? :think:

There should be a allen headed bolt that runs through the leafs that keeps them all together.. The head of the bolt also serves to center the axle to the springs

Are you talking about adding a spring to the existing spring pack or adding an after market overload spring kit on top of the factory spring set? Either way it would make for a stiffer ride and lessen the ride quality and make the rear sit up higher if adding a leaf to the spring pack or if the add on overload was pulled down tight.Air bags are far better overall, I have worked at a driveline shop and built, rebuilt arched and rearched and custom built spring packs from old cars to big OTR rigs. On pickups best to stick with factory springs with airbags.

The springs are not under load when you jack the wheel of the ground. I have had extra springs (not add a leafs) added to my 01. It looked pretty easy. They measured the height of the truck on both sides and also leveled the truck out with spacers in the end. All new u bolts and nuts.I put airbags in my newer trucks. Right now Airlift is offering a $100 rebate if you get the bags and an onboard compressor. SD truck springs gives you $35 off if you type save35 in the rebate box. After the rebate, I'm paying $372 for airlift 5000 airbags and a single output on board compressor with an incab guage.

• Like 1

lmao - I guess I should have reworded the title of the thread. Not going to be adding any leaf packs or replacing - I actually am adding traction bars and have to remove the rear shock and rear ubolt shackle. Since I havent done that before that got me thinking - how are the rear springs/leafs placed under tension. Was worried if I remove the ubolt and the shock the whole thing would go bananas - but obviously also figured out that my conception of how this works is wrong. So simply a thread for replacing a leaf seemed the best way to get an understanding here........ so how does it work ? When does the tension get applied to the leaf pack and when do you need to be careful when playing back here .....

lmao - I guess I should have reworded the title of the thread. Not going to be adding any leaf packs or replacing - I actually am adding traction bars and have to remove the rear shock and rear ubolt shackle. Since I havent done that before that got me thinking - how are the rear springs/leafs placed under tension. Was worried if I remove the ubolt and the shock the whole thing would go bananas - but obviously also figured out that my conception of how this works is wrong. So simply a thread for replacing a leaf seemed the best way to get an understanding here........ so how does it work ? When does the tension get applied to the leaf pack and when do you need to be careful when playing back here .....

There is no tension on the axle saddle under the axle at the u-bolt saddles that you need to worry about, you can remove the u-bolt nuts as it sits on the ground but to be safe not a bad idea to take some of the weight off the springs and then go at it. You don't need to remove the u-bolts just remove the lower nuts and install the plate for the traction bars right under the lower axle saddle and retorque the nuts.

I had spring leaves replaced in my C30... old ones were broke right through the center bolt (20 year old truck). Bought new U bolts & just cut the old off with torch. Dodge has few leaves to carry the same load. I think the multileaf set ups ride smoother. My old school mechanic did a lot of them but he was a fabricator. He did a lot of chaisis work for autobody shops locally before sending them back for finishing.

There is no tension on the axle saddle under the axle at the u-bolt saddles that you need to worry about

This is the bit I dont get. Diagram attached.

post-10132-13869820016_thumb.jpg

So the leafs are anchored either side and the ubolt pulls the centre down around the spacer blocks - so isnt that whole thing under huge load/tension ?? Obviously Im wrong - but I dont know where or see how that works.

- - - Updated - - -

DOH :doh:

So the leafs are prebent - and they actually flex the other way under load (flatten out) ???

now I kinda get it ........ [saw a youtube video]

rigth ?