• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Proper Use of Jake Brake?

I bought my truck about 2 years ago and it has a Jake Brake (the real thing made by Jacobs) with the Cummins name on it. It seems to work correctly though I'm not sure I'm using it correctly. It only engages above 35 mph and when you give it gas at any speed it disengages.My question is when I'm towing my 10k travel trailer, do I leave the pull switch on the gear shifter engaged all the time or do I engage it only when I think i need it? Thanks,Stew

I bought my truck about 2 years ago and it has a Jake Brake (the real thing made by Jacobs) with the Cummins name on it. It seems to work correctly though I'm not sure I'm using it correctly. It only engages above 35 mph and when you give it gas at any speed it disengages. My question is when I'm towing my 10k travel trailer, do I leave the pull switch on the gear shifter engaged all the time or do I engage it only when I think i need it? Thanks, Stew

You could leave it on 24/7. Won't harm anything. Its better if you do, in fact. Only thing you may notice over a period of time is a more frequent need to clean the sensors at the intake as soot will get backpressured. It also sounds like you have an auto? In that case, it will only engage over 35mph because of the torque converter lockup. Anything slower than 35mph, sounds like its not capable of lockup as it probably downsifts to 2nd. Some vehicles allow a 2nd gear lockup thoug. Valve body mods can allow for this also.
  • Like 1

Thanks. Yep, it's an auto. I was thinking I could leave it on but would rather ask than break something. I use it to warm up on cold mornings as well but after a long winter my injectors are pretty dirty. If it begins to idle roughly I have to make good hard run or run cleaner through it.

I use mine 90-95% of the time. I moved the switch to my stick and control it with my right thumb. I can use mine all the way down to 0 MPH. Here is a few videos of how I use it.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDjMzmV4bbw

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0yjDv8Slkw

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh7lOJLD948

I use mine all the time also. Mine cuts out at 15 mph and does not engage until 30mph. Need to figure out a way to make it stay on down to 0 mph.

• Staff

Mine is generally on all the time as well when towing. I know the cam is a little different on the 2nd gens, but even with my aftermarket cam with more overlap than stock I get very little soot on the sensors. In fact only by #4 intake runner, and not enough to do more than leave a faint black dust. I did clean my MAP sensor after 80K miles and noticed no difference in operation.

• Owner

I did clean my MAP sensor after 80K miles and noticed no difference in operation.

I don't even bother anymore. I just monitor the ScanGauge for unusual values from the sensors. Since I fool my IAT through the winter months and MAP sensor doesn't seem affected by the sooty oil. As at cold start up I typically have the IAT sensor on so I just verify the temp against the coolant number if they match sensors are good.

I think the general consensus is it's ok to leave them turned on all the time; however I think I will leave mine on when towing and off for daily driving. I'm afraid the noise on every deceleration will get annoying to the wife (wifey no like loud truck) and kids, which would only annoy me in the long run. :)Once again you guys have helped me find a good solution. Thanks,StewSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk