• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Back to stock injectors for a short time

• Owner

Just looking at my old 275RV's +40HP they are a 7 hole. The new ones are suppose to be 7 hole as well but a +50HP. When there was a huge price difference between 50HP and 40HP of course I went with the 50HP being cheaper also Eric assured me he was going to pop test and flow match the +50HP for me where the RV's just get pulled off the shelf and shipped. :whistle:So I ended up with a bit more quantity of fuel, but get personal quality, and a super good price. How could you go wrong... :cool:Yes... Brown truck should be here today. :pant:

• Owner

UPS shows up at little after 12 noon. I start...

:truck:

By 2pm I fired up the truck. No priming required. :wow:

:burnout2::burnout::cookoo:

This thing is stupid fast now. But my previous 5x3 Comp setting is still rather clean just a bit of smoke. Running really smooth at idle, EGT's are much lower that the previous RV275's. Bit of launch lag but OMG! When she lights you better hold on. Just tinkering around on a few straight stretches I was hitting 85 MPH in no time.

post-2-13869820165_thumb.jpg

I have to give Eric over at Vulcan Performance a big Thank You for the killer deal and the awesome product.

Posted Image

post-2-13869820164_thumb.jpg

• Owner

I can't release the price I paid for them since there is was a bit more to the deal. :whistle: But I'm sure Eric would be more than happy to set you up and just tell him Mopar1973Man sent you along. I had a Search & rescue meeting tonight and cruise into Riggins, ID. I got to admit the ScanGauge is showing better numbers than the stock injectors even better than the 275's I had that were wore out. But I'll report more tomorrow night. I got to make a haul down to Ontario, OR.

I can't release the price I paid for them since there is was a bit more to the deal. :whistle: But I'm sure Eric would be more than happy to set you up and just tell him Mopar1973Man sent you along. I had a Search & rescue meeting tonight and cruise into Riggins, ID. I got to admit the ScanGauge is showing better numbers than the stock injectors even better than the 275's I had that were wore out. But I'll report more tomorrow night. I got to make a haul down to Ontario, OR.

ROAD TRIP!!!ROAD TRIP!!!:ahhh::ahhh: Dont be blowing up that $10 tstat now.:smart:

• Owner

Are they 50's or 60's? :shrug:

I know... You've seen the box. He lists them as a 40-60 HP injector. Typically come out at about 50HP. They are all flow matched and pop tested before being boxed. I asked about the nozzle size and he said he'd have to get back to me on that later on. (Busy at the time). But I'm sure he be will to tell ya.

ROAD TRIP!!!ROAD TRIP!!!Posted ImagePosted Image Dont be blowing up that $10 tstat now.Posted Image

Naw. It seem to run cooler in the EGT's but hard to tell from just the short trip. I'll see tomorrow what happens.

• Staff

There really isn't a way for the SG to recalibrate, or the ECM to adjust. The ECM thinks it's injecting 20mm3 of fuel per injection, but the larger injector is actually injecting 24mm3, so your SG reporting would be 20% off assuming it was correct on the stock injectors. Arbitray numbers just for reference. There are 2 ways that injectors effect mileage on. The spray pattern is more efficient and since the ECM thinks less fuel is being commanded the timing is generally more advanced (in the cruise region). There are also 2 reasons EGT's may decrease under normal driving, and that's the efficient spray pattern and added fuel means added boost and cooler air. Generally EGT's will increase under WOT operation, but may be lower at partial throttle.

I can tell you that dropping my old RV275's out and putting back in my stock injectors I lost about 3 MPG. My trip to Lewiston, ID I maxed out at about 17.5 MPG round trip. :rolleyes::duh: Hence why the replace are being purchased because the old one where just too pissy and misfiring to much at idle again so after seeing a few day of driving and the MPG is lower with stock I'm going back to +50 HP and should see the brown truck Friday. :drool: I know what I'm doing Saturday morning... :whistle:

I would really like to know your new MPG with the +50 HP Injectors. Are these RV275's?

• Owner

Awesome! The SG will take a recalibration since the injector size is different, and I bet that's why the stockers showed a 3mpg drop on the SG.

Actually about 3-5 MPG loss. :duh:

My SG hasn't been right since my injector swap either. I was hoping it would relearn itself over time but after a few thousand miles no change. My next fill up I'm going to do the calibration like you do when it's new.

Yes. It's suggested to check calibration of the ScanGauge anytime there is a fuel system change. I've got to run this tank out and fill again to verify my calibration. But historically I've never been higher than 22.5% offset and never any lower than 9.2% offset. My current offset is 15.5% for the old RV275's so I'm not going o be very far off.

I would really like to know your new MPG with the +50 HP Injectors. Are these RV275's?

+50 HP. This is the high point. 260 miles round trip plus city driving. After bucking a head wind home I dropped down to 23.5 MPG. Thunderstorms brewing as we traveled home. No IAT fooler was used. I had IAT temps ranging from 80*F-140*F the best MPG's came on after about 110*F then the numbers jumped good. As the wind and air cooled again then they slumped down slightly not much. But stayed above 100*F all the way home for IAT temps. post-2-138698201757_thumb.jpg From Ontario, OR to home. (120 miles) post-2-138698201746_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Actually about 3-5 MPG loss. :duh:

Hand calc or scan gauge? If it was scan gauge then there may not have been any mileage loss, or a really small one, with the injectors swap due to the differences in the injectors. 50 hp injectors will throw the CR computers off by 3-5 mpg's pretty easily.

• Owner

Hand calc or scan gauge? If it was scan gauge then there may not have been any mileage loss, or a really small one, with the injectors swap due to the differences in the injectors. 50 hp injectors will throw the CR computers off by 3-5 mpg's pretty easily.

Neither Wallet Calc'ed. When it takes $50 dollars of fuel to get to Lewiston, ID and another $50 bucks to get home on a 260 mile round trip just to pop test the injectors I'm sure the displayed lower number on the ScanGauge II was close to right. Not absolute but close. It showed that trip maxed out at 17.2 MPG. Lets not discuss that expensive trip. :duh::rolleyes: Todays trip cost only cost $42 bucks to fill in Ontario, OR. I was kind of filled before I left but not exactly tip top. So even in my log book I listed it as a no-fill. But this last fuel stop was a fill so I can calibrate the ScanGauge in a few days when I fill again.

• Staff

Come on Michael, you know better than to make claims without numbers around this crowd :-) Espeically since you are further from Lewiston than Ontario :tongue:I am saying you may have been surprised at the mileage increase over the SG readout with smaller injectors, many are surprised how much even small injectors effect the OBDII/Overhead mileage readout.

• Owner

Come on Michael, you know better than to make claims without numbers around this crowd :-) Espeically since you are further from Lewiston than Ontario :tongue: I am saying you may have been surprised at the mileage increase over the SG readout with smaller injectors, many are surprised how much even small injectors effect the OBDII/Overhead mileage readout.

Basically the same distance. Lewiston - http://goo.gl/maps/JCqKO Ontario - http://goo.gl/maps/Cvwvt (Modified to show route taken around bridge construction in Weiser, ID) My numbers are in check... :tongue: Try again... :tease: As for the ScanGauge II I'm going to get it checked on next fill...

• Staff

Basically the same distance. Lewiston - http://goo.gl/maps/JCqKO Ontario - http://goo.gl/maps/Cvwvt (Modified to show route taken around bridge construction in Weiser, ID) My numbers are in check... :tongue: Try again... :tease:

15 miles, that's nearly a gallon... I went from Last Resort, I couldn't remember any more and I knew you were close to it. Too bad you didn't calibrate it with stock sticks, I would have been curious at the outcome. I bet your mileage was closer to 18.5, maybe 19.

• Owner

I can tell you that the stock calibration is the 9.2% offset. The RV275's with the Edge Comp on 5x3 is 15.5% and the RV275 and the Edge Comp on 5x5 was 22.5%. So being I'm only shifting 10HP from previous injectors roughly and the Edge Comp isn't changed I'm pretty sure I'm close to right. Really close... But we'll find out in the next fill how much I've got to change the offset.So that 17.2 MPG was actually 16.1 MPG (backward figuring).

• Staff

So that 17.2 MPG was actually 16.1 MPG (backward figuring).

If it was on the 5x5 setting I calculate it was really 19.3 mpgs, and if it was on the 5x3 setting it would have been 18.2. Remember if the calibration isn't changed you are getting better mileage that the SGII will tell you with a smaller injector.