• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

FRRP-100 Test - Please explain if this is correct.

Truck is at operating temperature, although what I describe below happens while starting at cold temp. I installed the FRRP-100 last weekend and set the pressure to 19.0-19.5psi at idle. Notice the normal initial 2 sec run at ~21.5 psi. After starting, it runs at ~15.5 psi for 15 sec and then jumps to 16 psi - finally it jumps to 19 psi and the engine sound different. Coincidently the ScanGauge 2 comes on at the same time. Is this a function of Open vs. Closed loop of the VP44? Is this a function of the ECM? Thank you.

I wonder if the grid heaters are causing the voltage drop so the pump doesnt get enough power to maintain pressure until they turn back off. :shrug:

Truck is at operating temperature and wait to start was finished.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNkZWRsFaRQ&feature=youtu.be

Looks like a voltage drop at first start (grid heaters post heating) then the pressure pops up after grid heater shut off. More of electrical issue than a pump.

Hey Michael, Does your Air Dog 150 do this in the winter? It was 60'f this morning and in the afternoon this scenario disappeared :think:

Mine will be low on start up and seems to follow the volt meter in the dash. First start up in the morning it takes a few seconds for the volt meter to come up to 14v and the pressure moves with it. This happens even when warm, just takes a little less time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Hey Michael, Does your Air Dog 150 do this in the winter? It was 60'f this morning and in the afternoon this scenario disappeared :think:

In the dead of winter with minus temps and both grid heaters cycling in for post heating I might see 0.5 to 1 PSI fall each time the grid heaters fire just after starting. Now with cool summer morning temps like 40-60*F out no I don't see any drop at all. My power is hooked up in the PDC for the AirDog not at batteries or at alternator (well technically its the alternator line in the PDC).

• Staff

In the dead of winter with minus temps and both grid heaters cycling in for post heating I might see 0.5 to 1 PSI fall each time the grid heaters fire just after starting. Now with cool summer morning temps like 40-60*F out no I don't see any drop at all. My power is hooked up in the PDC for the AirDog not at batteries or at alternator (well technically its the alternator line in the PDC).

Thats where mines hooked up too but still get the fluctuation when grid heaters go on and off. Micheal we all get that fluctuation cause we don't all have a pair of 500 lb. 8D batteries in our trucks like you :tease:

I think there is a post you did 2011 about an alternate wiring on a post in the relay panel, is this what you are referring to? If so, do you have images or schematic? I would like to install it on my truck. Thank you.

Is it possible that when the grid heater comes on, the injection pump is also asking for more fuel, thus the pressure drop. Some computer controlled gas rigs do dump more fuel during warm up as a means of electronic choke control. Just a thought, I don't know.