• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

checking codes in '01 cummins

as my first post i would like to thank you guys for teaching me so much, however i am new to the dodge world and there is so much to learn! i have read that the key trick will not work to check for codes on a 2001 24v. is this true?i do the key trick and i get "P done." the reason why i'm asking is my truck feels a little sluggish. i'm getting good fuel pressure 16-17 idle & 12 WOT. no hard starts, sometimes a little gear hunt once in a while but nothing major. just wondering about the APPS. my truck just hit 81,xxx miles and i am concerned about things that might possibly need maintenance. i got my fuel pressure under control and i'm running 2-cycle oil in my fuel (thanks to mopar1973man) so hopefully my VP stays happy, just worrying about other things. also where is the scan tool port? hopefully my buddy can scan it quick for me. anyways, aloha!

You can get codes from key trick.The only codes you cannot pull is from the abs computer.The scan port is under the dash.If you put your hand on the 4x4 shifter and move your hand to the dash you will find it.Maybe you have bad fuel? It could have water in it.I would get a new fuel filter.What are your plans for the truck? A fass lift pump is better than the factory unit.A smarty is a cool thing to have you can adjust the ecm and read codes.Sometimes you can find a used smarty for 400.00.

You can get codes from key trick.The only codes you cannot pull is from the abs computer.The scan port is under the dash.If you put your hand on the 4x4 shifter and move your hand to the dash you will find it.Maybe you have bad fuel? It could have water in it.I would get a new fuel filter.What are your plans for the truck? A fass lift pump is better than the factory unit.A smarty is a cool thing to have you can adjust the ecm and read codes.Sometimes you can find a used smarty for 400.00.

i changed the filter and it still feels the same. i already changed the lift pump to a "stocker" (airtex E7153) but will prob. change it to an airdog100 later. not looking to boost power to much, maybe to pull 35's (i have a 5" lift sitting here) i don't tow much maybe a mini excavator or skidsteer once in a blue moon. just want it to be reliable.

Past experience says that there are more 01's that the key trick will only work on 1 of the computers. Maybe, yours will work, but alot of times guys get too impatient when reading the codes. They see the 1 "done" and then go and turn the key off. Go ahead and try 1 more time, if the odometer goes back to the mileage without saying "done" twice then you need a scanner.

My understanding is that in the 2000 - 2002 2nd generation trucks, the ignition key code retrieval works. Works on my wife's truck. P0500 = P0500 No Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal (this is a very common code typically set off by tire slippage off road or slippery surfaces) it could also be a faulty vehicle speed sensor. P1693 = DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM (an accompanying companion code to alert the operator that there is a DTC in the ECM or PCM)

Found the pdf file for codes thanks MoparMan, saw in your demo you had same codes displayed. Is this normal?I am thinking of getting the tsb done for high idle, my local dodge dealer has not heard of itsays they can do it though. Should I use them or go else where?I am hoping to find a used smarty that has the tsb stored in it. Thank You for a great resource.David

• Owner

Found the pdf file for codes thanks MoparMan, saw in your demo you had same codes displayed. Is this normal?

P1693 mean more code present on other computer PCM/ECM

P0500 is caused from wheel spin on slick surface.

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/abs/abs.htm

(bottom of page)

I am thinking of getting the tsb done for high idle, my local dodge dealer has not heard of itsays they can do it though. Should I use them or go else where?

Here can do here is the EXACT instruction on how to enable it. Tells him which buttons to push...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/high-idle/tsb18-019-01.htm

I am hoping to find a used smarty that has the tsb stored in it.

Barrow any smart just for a few minutes to flash a Smarty Program and play with it and reset to stock and you get to keep the flash for FREE!

Thank You for a great resource.

David

Comments in blue...

Past experience says that there are more 01's that the key trick will only work on 1 of the computers. Maybe, yours will work, but alot of times guys get too impatient when reading the codes. They see the 1 "done" and then go and turn the key off. Go ahead and try 1 more time, if the odometer goes back to the mileage without saying "done" twice then you need a scanner.

mine will say p-done twice in a row. i actually had issues with the tranny unlock/lock, i never actually rewired the apps ground.i just removed the battery cable. just re-grounded it, hopefully it will work.... seems like its a throttle response issue. i'll let you guys know how it goes. thanks

Barrow any smart just for a few minutes to flash a Smarty Program and play with it and reset to stock and you get to keep the flash for FREE!

moparman are u saying you can run more than one truck with a smarty if you just mess with the tune and make another one? or just for the high idle?

moparman are u saying you can run more than one truck with a smarty if you just mess with the tune and make another one? or just for the high idle?

The Smarty is a VIN # locked programmer and can only be installed on 1 rig at a time. It needs to be taken back to stock to be able to load it into another pickup. But the Elevated idle function will be activated for good after a smarty has been loaded and then unloaded back to stock.

i believe you can only give one truck the tune...but you have heard form others that you can still use it to turn on high idle and 3 cylinder idle.